Broken light socket - Trillium - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2006, 07:53 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Hi all, my first post!
I took possession of a nice 1977 Trillium 1300 on the weekend, and am starting to fix a few minor things on it. The right tail-light was working erratically. I took off the bezel and noticed the bulb was rusted into the socket. In trying to get it out (which I succeeded) I noticed the socket was corroded and damaged. I removed the rivets holding the light base to the camper, but it seems to be glued or fixed in the middle, and won't come out (I was hoping to find a replacement socket and wire it in).

I have since heard about LED rear lights for trailers and am thinking about putting a set of 7" round ones, but that would mean throwing away the rectangular lights. Any suggestion on the best course of action to restore well-functioning rear lights? Thanks!
--Robert

Old 09-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Replacement light sockets can be found at Canadian Tire and probably also at Princess Auto. A l'il work on your part and you'll be back up and flashing RED all over!
WHY bother changing the lights over to LEDs???

Old 09-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Robert,
If you decide to go the route of LED's, there may be someone who could use all or part of the originals.

Since the trucking industry appears to be going that route, they are readily available and seem to be quite reliable. Might be a good move.

Kurt & Ann K.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 13 ft
I agree, LED lights are the way to go if you're going to be changing them anyhow. I've replaced all of the side marker lights on my Trillium 1300 with LEDs , and added two small LED running lights to the top rear of the trailer. I still have to do the rear light assembly. There are several LED tail light assemblies that look really close the original Trillium lights. Here is one link - there are many others:

http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm?cId=1...62&pId=2343
Old 09-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Hi and thanks for the replies.
Glad to know that there are rectangular LED trailer light kits similar in size to the original Trillium tail lights!
My reasons for going LED? Never having to replace a faulty bulb again; brighter lights; use less voltage; etc. The price of LED setups seems to have really gone down in recent years, so it's a very cost-effective solution now. Sounds like to replace the faulty socket on my original tail light, I'd have to disassemble the whole thing anyway. Might as well put a more modern and effective system in its place.
Cheers,
--Robert
Old 09-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Yes, in your case LEDs are the way to go!! Repairing sockets is a P A I N anyhow!!

Tags
light, lighting, tail lights, trillium

« Damp Scamp | uhaul »