Broken slider - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2002 13-ft Scamp
Pennsylvania
Broken slider

Would appreciate someone's directing me to "Window Repair for Dummies." Husband bought me a 2002 13-foot Scamp a few years ago for my birthday, so it's my very own project : ) Side slider must have gotten hit by a weed-wacked rock. Scamp says manufacturer no longer makes this window, so no sliding panel available. It also does not appear that you can have one cut and be able to pop it in like the sliders on our home--not enough wiggle room. Is the only option replacing the entire window?

Lorraine
Lorraine in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Lorraine I would try taking the window out and taking it to a window repair shop or auto motive body shop - they may have some ideas as to how to repair it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can buy replacement glass panels of various thicknesses and corner radii.

Here

In any case, you will need to remove the window and take it apart to install a new panel.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Thanks, folks. Now, can you tell me how to take the entire window out? Remember, I warned you this is Window Replacement for Dummies! So far, I have only had the nerve to unscrew the frame on the inside, which doesn't appear to have anything much to do with the window's functioning or removal.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Lorraine you might want to post a photo of your window so we are sure as to what type we are discussing. But on mine the inside frame is holding it in place and in fact I would not remove it without having someone standing on the outside to catch the window should it fall out. Only thing that might be holding the window without the inside being attached to the trailer is either Butyl tape if it was used or caulking....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Did I mention that I am a procrastinator? So two months have gone by since all of the helpful suggestions were given about the broken slider window on the Scamp. We took the window out as recommended, and after minute examination of its assembly and experimenting with a cardboard pattern for having a new pane cut, determined it could not be done the way it is designed. We finally ordered an entire new window, which just arrived.

What is the absolute best way to install it? I've hunted down the butyl putty tape (not easy), but Scamp also enclosed a roll of foam weather stripping, which confused me. Did I mention that I'm also a perfectionist?

PS What's the best stuff to use to remove the duct tape adhesive residue on the fiberglass after having plastic taped over the window opening all summer? We obviously didn't get out camping this year, but the grandkids loved sleeping in it!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine in PA View Post
...............What is the absolute best way to install it? I've hunted down the butyl putty tape (not easy), but Scamp also enclosed a roll of foam weather stripping, which confused me. Did I mention that I'm also a perfectionist?
Use the butyl putty. Make sure it is room temperature so that when you tighten the window it squeezes out. Trim the excess with a Popsicle stick. Forget the foam.

Quote:
PS What's the best stuff to use to remove the duct tape adhesive residue on the fiberglass after having plastic taped over the window opening all summer? We obviously didn't get out camping this year, but the grandkids loved sleeping in it!
Use mineral spirits. You may need to let it soak a little by reapplying with a wetted rag.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I put two windows from Scamp into our Uhaul, I used the foam tape they sent with the windows and both windows leaked. I removed both windows and reinstalled them with the butyl tape, no leaks now. Our Uhaul came to us with one side piece of glass broken and taped over. I use brakeclean for lots of things, and I used it to remove the tape residue, spray it on a rag and wipe. You can buy it at any auto parts store or Walmart. At Walmart they will ask if you're over 18. A note of caution, brake clean will remove some paint, dissolve or distort some plastic, so be careful of what you use it on.
edit: I type too slow, Tom answered while I was still typing out my reply
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine in PA View Post
Did I mention that I am a procrastinator?

Did I mention that I'm also a perfectionist?
You seem to have lots of issues, Lorraine.

But, definitely ones I can relate too.

Seems you got your window issue dealt with quite well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Lorraine

You may not have to remove the whole window?
If it is the sliding side that is broken?you can often see a felt like material that it is sliding on?
If you can grab the felt slide and pull it away from the center of the window it should slide out from under the pane and leave enough room to get the sliding pane out and then you can take it to have it re glazed.

Give it a look-see and tell me what you find.

http://www.helium.com/items/1587287-...g-window-glass

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
You can use WD-40 or desolve-it to remove the tape residue.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote