BUG OFF SCREEN DOOR - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Is anyone here using one of these for a screen door? If so, are you happy with it, and did you have it special made or order one and modify it yourself?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I've never heard of one, is there a link to their website or something? A screen door can't be a bad thing...
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Never heard of one either but here's the site:
http://www.bugoffscreen.com/
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Here's their web site:
http://www.bugoffscreen.com/
There was some discussion of these a couple of years back. I'd like to get one for our Scamp. It won't work in our curved door unless we build a frame inside the door. It doesn't look like it would be that difficult. It's on the "to do eventually" list!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I have had one for years. I had to build a frame around the door because of the curve of the wall. I ordered the small one and just rolled it up at the top as the length was too long. Works fine.

Just walk right through and it closes behind you.

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Interesting... and seems like it would be fairly easy to make one, too.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	17967
I made one from an ez up screen set, but it has a zipper that can be a bit of a hassle when your hands are full. I like the idea of being able to just walk through with it snapping closed behind you. Building a small frame to attach it to doesn't sound too difficult either. I will have to look into this when ours is no longer functional. It's nice to have any kind of screen on the door, keep those bugs out!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
We made a screen cover for our Boler door. And kept it as simple and inexpensive (read cheap) as possible. I bought a piece of screening from the hardware store and cut it larger than the door opening. I then used self sticking Velcro above the door opening on the inside and stapled the other Velcro strip along the top of the screening material. I also put a few smaller pieces of Velcro along the side. I weighted it down by pinning large, thin washers to the bottom. The screening hangs below the door opening. When we want to use it, I just stick it in place. With no zippers to access, I can push it aside to get in and out. I live in Alberta, and if we are camping in cooler weather, it isn't needed as the bugs don't like cold. If it is too windy, bugs aren't a worry either. The Velcro has stuck in place now for three years through -40C and +40C. Worse case scenario, is I have to replace the inside Velcro strips every now and again, but so far not. It doesn't look pretty, but it works. And no need to build a frame to fit it. The odd bug gets in, but that would happen anyway as one goes in and out of any type of screen door. That's what the bug swatter is for!

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
We made a screen cover for our Boler door.
As Booker once said:
Pics or it didn't happen!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Quote:
As Booker once said:
Pics or it didn't happen!

I don't have any pictures of the screen at the moment, but will try to get some in the next couple of weeks. First I have to shovel the snow away from the door just to get into the Boler.

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
[quote]
Attachment 17967

This is basically the same as the bug off, just throw away the zipper and sew on some rubber magnets in the middle and bottom and you're in business.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #12

Name: LaDonna
Trailer: burro trailer
Colorado
mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Wilcox View Post
Attachment 17967
I made one from an ez up screen set, but it has a zipper that can be a bit of a hassle when your hands are full. I like the idea of being able to just walk through with it snapping closed behind you. Building a small frame to attach it to doesn't sound too difficult either. I will have to look into this when ours is no longer functional. It's nice to have any kind of screen on the door, keep those bugs out!
how did you mount it at the top and at the sides and how to keep the bottom from swinging freely thanks
ladonna i. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'm not too sure how a hanging screen would work compared to a fixed screen door. My Scamp has this screen door. It has worked great for over 6.5 years. To open from the inside takes a hand to pull the center in. To open from the outside a gentle push in the middle opens the screen Elbows work great when your hands are full coming from the outside.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #14

there is nothing better than a real screen door. I was not happy with my bug off one

Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Karalyn, any specifics you would care to mention?

The video on the Bug Off site seems to show a gap at the bottom, between the screen and the doorway. I would be concerned about skeeters getting in at that point. I wonder if the magnets tend to drag and not snap together if one tried to set the screen all the way to the floor?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #16

Name: Alli
Trailer: 1974 Boler
British Columbia
we bought a version of this and are planning to take a stab at installing it this weekend - it looks huge for our little boler door but we aren't super concerned with it looking puurrty, just concerned about not being eaten alive by mosquitos so we'll alter it as we go along to be sure. i'll post a pic of what we get up to
BCAlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #17

I had to cut off the bottom as the door was way to long. The tension pole I had it on kept falling down when going thru the door. I also found it easier to pull the screen aside instead of going thru the middle.
As I type this I wonder if a small rod held up by drapery hooks might keep the door from falling. Hmmmmm
Nothing like a real screen door.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Just install one on our Ventura last night. The ventura has a flat door so the mounting was pretty easy. We had to cut it down to 11" wide panels and trimmed it to length for the door. We seam ripped the original outer trim and sewed it back on to the trimmed screen and mounted it with the velcro. The bottom is a little too long but it seems to work ok and we may trim a bit more off the bottom. Beats the nothing at all and if it stops the bugs its $10 well spent. Beware when trimming, the lines on the screen may not be straight with the edges I caught it before I did too much damage.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #19

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
This is a screen door I made for our scamp.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-45033.html

It took a couple of days to sew, and I had to learn how to make a zipper. We now just leave it up full time and use it every time we camp. Using a heavy duty zipper makes it easy to use andt keeps all the bugs out. It also works great when we want lots of ventilation inside. The other thing I like is that it roles out of the way when not used, one reason I didn't install the scamp one.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #20

Name: LaDonna
Trailer: burro trailer
Colorado
pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Just install one on our Ventura last night. The ventura has a flat door so the mounting was pretty easy. We had to cut it down to 11" wide panels and trimmed it to length for the door. We seam ripped the original outer trim and sewed it back on to the trimmed screen and mounted it with the velcro. The bottom is a little too long but it seems to work ok and we may trim a bit more off the bottom. Beats the nothing at all and if it stops the bugs its $10 well spent. Beware when trimming, the lines on the screen may not be straight with the edges I caught it before I did too much damage.
Hi..anxious to see the photos before I tackle my screen door on a Burro
ladonna i. is offline   Reply With Quote