Building new door? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr (Super modified)
After I had the bottom aluminum sill/frame extrusion stolen, I've convinced myself to have a new one welded out of much stronger 1/8" angle aluminum, as the old one does not seem to have held up well over the years.

Now that I've made the decision to build a custom frame, I also have the opportunity to build a new thicker door as well. I can figure out how to build a basic door frame, and fill it with foam insulation, but does anyone have an idea about how the aluminum door skin is attached and how the door finished?
bgeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I can figure out how to build a basic door frame, and fill it with foam insulation, but does anyone have an idea about how the aluminum door skin is attached and how the door finished?
I think most straight RV door frames are custom extrusions that assemble around the inner and outer door skins with some kind of spacer clips between; kind of how a picture frame is assembled. I think most are hollow.