Bumper mount spare tire carrier - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #1

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Bumper mount spare tire carrier

Has anyone ever changed over their Scamp spare tire carrier to one of these bumper mounts?
MaxxTow Spare Tire Carrier for 3" x 5" Trailer Frames - 4-Lug and 5-Lug Wheels
Any thoughts? Pros, cons?
Thanks,

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Has anyone ever changed over their Scamp spare tire carrier to one of these bumper mounts?
MaxxTow Spare Tire Carrier for 3" x 5" Trailer Frames - 4-Lug and 5-Lug Wheels
Any thoughts? Pros, cons?
Thanks,
If you want to go bumper mount on a Scamp, you will need to weld in another crossmember to the frame, then attach the new crossmember to the bumper before attaching the bumper carrier.
The stock Scamp bumper is far too flexible to support the carrier by itself.

You might consider attaching a 2" receiver in a similar way then build the carrier to fit it.
It would seem a bit of trouble for no good reason since the Stock spare mount has proven reliable for several decades.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Scamp rear bumpers.. from the factory, are about as stout as Tin Foil. If you want something away from the body, plan to build something on the frame... not the bumper.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #4

Utah
Registry
Looks like that idea is shot to heck. Wanted to get a longer stinky slinky hose, by putting a 5" square PVC pipe behind the tire and adding accessory boxes made of shorter PVC on each side of the tire on top of the long PVC. Phooey. I have a 2" receiver on the back, but I don't want to disturb the weight distribution by putting a 50# carrier back there plus a 15# molded plastic container with tools and setup items. The PVC won't fit on the front of the bumper because the tire comes over and the receiver comes up a bit.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Looks like that idea is shot to heck. Wanted to get a longer stinky slinky hose, by putting a 5" square PVC pipe behind the tire and adding accessory boxes made of shorter PVC on each side of the tire on top of the long PVC. Phooey. I have a 2" receiver on the back, but I don't want to disturb the weight distribution by putting a 50# carrier back there plus a 15# molded plastic container with tools and setup items. The PVC won't fit on the front of the bumper because the tire comes over and the receiver comes up a bit.
I built this one onto the rear bumper of my Scamp13. It is built from square steel tubing of the same gauge as regular RV bumpers (note the end plugs)
The new bumper holds the stinky slinky and it is securely welded to the stock steel angle iron bumper on the Scamp which is of a heavier gauge than the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 015.jpg   sm4.JPG  

DSCF0015.JPG   scamp pictures 005.jpg  

Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #6

Utah
Registry
That looks very good. How much extra weight did that add to the back? Do you have any scraping going out of drive ways? Out here we have dips at the end of our driveways to carry water away during flash flooding. I have to be very careful when exiting/entering and come at an angle to avoid scraping. Another thought I had was to add the PVC above the belly band in the back covering the screws on the inside with acorn nuts.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
That looks very good. How much extra weight did that add to the back? Do you have any scraping going out of drive ways? Out here we have dips at the end of our driveways to carry water away during flash flooding. I have to be very careful when exiting/entering and come at an angle to avoid scraping. Another thought I had was to add the PVC above the belly band in the back covering the screws on the inside with acorn nuts.
The complete bumper including the unistrut and steel bumper guards and plugs weighed in at eleven pounds. It is welded flush with the top of the Scamp bumper which is 3" high. The Tubing is 4" square.
The angle of departure places the bumper out of normal harms way.
The bumper does not extend down as far as the stock stabilizers.
I have installed BAL stabilizers forward of the bumper on the frame(see photo below) Again, due to the angle of departure they are safe compared to the gray water tank outlet. We have towed with these mods for over 9 years without scratching either.
I did finally have to replace the stock graywater tank last year due to the vulnerable location of the graywater outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0012.JPG   DSCF0013.jpg  

DSCF0008.JPG  
Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #8

Utah
Registry
Floyd...it's a very good thing you are handy with welding. I went around today, with pictures of what you did, and pictures of what mine looks like now. Three estimates came in from $700-850 dollars. That's about 8% of what I paid for the Scamp. All places were going to cut off current bumper, add extensions to the frame, put the bumper back on with a flat piece welded on top. Then, put the receiver back on with extra strengthening welds and support. Maybe I shouldn't have retired.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Floyd...it's a very good thing you are handy with welding. I went around today, with pictures of what you did, and pictures of what mine looks like now. Three estimates came in from $700-850 dollars. That's about 8% of what I paid for the Scamp. All places were going to cut off current bumper, add extensions to the frame, put the bumper back on with a flat piece welded on top. Then, put the receiver back on with extra strengthening welds and support. Maybe I shouldn't have retired.
I am sorry to hear that, The rubber end plugs actually cost me more than the bumper.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Alice can you not put PVC under the trailer? I know my trailer is a bit longer but there was lots of room on mine to mount the 5" PVC between the grey water tank & the receiver mounted at the rear of the trailer. I used heavy duty zip ties to attach it to the trailer using a frame cross bar - tight fit but was able to slip the zip ties between the frame and the floor. It does not sit much lower than the grey water tank. I put hinged caps on both ends with a clasp and it holds a Rhino hose and all the fits. Made it so it opened from the side so the hose wasn't dragging over the nuts and bolts I used to mount the hinges and clasp. Got the hardware from a marine supply store. Been on for thousands of miles and no signs of loosing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Slinky hose holder.jpg   slinky hose holder2.jpg  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Alice can you not put PVC under the trailer? I know my trailer is a bit longer but there was lots of room on mine to mount the 5" PVC between the grey water tank & the receiver mounted at the rear of the trailer. I used heavy duty zip ties to attach it to the trailer using a frame cross bar - tight fit but was able to slip the zip ties between the frame and the floor. It does not sit much lower than the grey water tank. I put hinged caps on both ends with a clasp and it holds a Rhino hose and all the fits. Made it so it opened from the side so the hose wasn't dragging over the nuts and bolts I used to mount the hinges and clasp. Got the hardware from a marine supply store. Been on for thousands of miles and no signs of loosing it.
That works great for a Scamp16, but the lower stature would bring the tubing outside of the safe zone of the angle of departure on a Scamp13.
Perhaps mounting the tube(metal or plastic) to the rear bumper using Signode banding might work. Or maybe mount one under the battery box on top of the tongue.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #12

Registry
Thanks Floyd I didn't realize the 13' was that much lower. Putting it up front under the battery is a good idea. My trailer came with a rather large 8' round PVC pipe mounted there and never had a clearance issue with it in that location.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
That's some nice work Carol & floyd, thanks for the pics. I have thought about adding a 4" square rear bumper to my Scamp and your plan of just leaving the stock bumper in place does make a lot of sense. I had thought about also lowering my stabilizers a little so they actually reach the ground without the need for additional pads and then adding some "wheelie" wheels to protect things just in case it bottoms out back there.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I had thought about also lowering my stabilizers a little so they actually reach the ground without the need for additional pads.
Pretty sure you can buy new ones that are longer than the ones that Scamp puts on the trailers.... or I seem to think that was the case when I had to do a fast replace I broke while on a road trip. Was a bit sorry after that I didn't go with a pair of the long ones but the parts place I went to was charging for just one stabilizer what most places would charge for a pair.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Pretty sure you can buy new ones that are longer than the ones that Scamp puts on the trailers.... or I seem to think that was the case when I had to do a fast replace I broke while on a road trip. Was a bit sorry after that I didn't go with a pair of the long ones but the parts place I went to was charging for just one stabilizer what most places would charge for a pair.
Yep, I did not find out about the longer ones until after I had already replaced the short ones. I have been thinking about adapting the short ones to the front somehow and getting new longer ones for the back. I would not necessarily use the fronts ones unless setting up a longer term camp.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #16

Utah
Registry
Carol/Floyd: Thanks for your ideas and comments. It looks like the best/least costly option is to attach the PVC post between the bottom of the back window above the belly band. If I knew how to attach it on the front, I would put it there above the current one, but with the bathroom, I don't want to put a hole where it may cause a potential leak from the inside or have hardware sticking out of the bathroom wall inside. If it weren't for the top of the receiver protruding above the bumper, I could easily attach it there coming off the back. Which brings me to thinking, maybe it would be less costly to just have the receiver hitch removed, add the PVC post, and if needed later, have a longer receiver attached. Hmmmm.
Thanks again.

P.S. Where can I get Signode banding done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That works great for a Scamp16, but the lower stature would bring the tubing outside of the safe zone of the angle of departure on a Scamp13.
Perhaps mounting the tube(metal or plastic) to the rear bumper using Signode banding might work. Or maybe mount one under the battery box on top of the tongue.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Carol/Floyd: Thanks for your ideas and comments. It looks like the best/least costly option is to attach the PVC post between the bottom of the back window above the belly band. If I knew how to attach it on the front, I would put it there above the current one, but with the bathroom, I don't want to put a hole where it may cause a potential leak from the inside or have hardware sticking out of the bathroom wall inside. If it weren't for the top of the receiver protruding above the bumper, I could easily attach it there coming off the back. Which brings me to thinking, maybe it would be less costly to just have the receiver hitch removed, add the PVC post, and if needed later, have a longer receiver attached. Hmmmm.
Thanks again.

P.S. Where can I get Signode banding done?
Signode banding is that black steel banding material which is commonly used to secure items to wooden pallets. They have orange clips made to slip over the banding which are crimped into place once the banding is tightened.

Just about anywhere that has a shipping dock will have a Signode bander.
It would only take a small amount of banding and a couple of minutes to make the attachment.

I have a bander designed for pipe insulation banding. I often use scrap signode banding which I pull from dumpsters for free, to make such things as straps to secure fuel tanks or graywater tanks. I use screws or rivets instead of Signode clips.
Signode clips are easier if you have the bander/crimper which is made for them though.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #18

Utah
Registry
Now for the rest of the story. I located a welder who not only was reasonable, honest, but he had a good imagination. Here is the bumper, with an extension, and the stinky slinky holder bolted in. I am certainly a happier camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Bumper1.jpg   Scamp Bumper3.jpg  

Scamp Bumper5.jpg   Scamp Bumper2.jpg  

Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Alice. This stuff shouldn't be difficult. What happened to folks thinking outside the box?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #20

Utah
Registry
Donna..Got the welder's name from my RV guy. Not only was this 1/8th the cost the other guy wanted, this works, the tube is removable if anything happens to it, the spare can be removed without removing the tube. In addition to my RV fella, this company is another at the top of my list. It's isn't a matter of thinking outside the box, the problem is people can't think anymore. People are not being trained to be problem solvers anymore.

Next project is adding shelves to the closet next to the bathroom.