Bunk Bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2003, 11:47 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bunk Bed

Hi, me again with yet another question from my constant barrage of them...

When I got my Boler the bunk bed area was disassembled. I think I have all the parts and pieces, but just wanted to check on a few things before ordering new foam.

I seem to have an additional piece of plywood that is curved on one end to match the trailer body. It is a small piece, not the one that fits inside the cover for the top bunk. Where is it used? With the top bunk? If so, what holds it in place?
There were 3 sizes of cushions. One full depth of the bunk area (upper bunk?), one that is a bit narrower (lower bunk?) and a very narrow one (???). The 2 smaller ones make up the same size as the full one. When the bunks are set up, where is the small cushion placed?

Thanks for helping me out :)

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 04:00 AM   #2

Hi Lainey
I got a 13footer which I am working on, but there are no cushions with it.Sorry I can't help but someone will pop up with a answere for you.:wave

Look at this Boler.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting

Old 06-28-2003, 07:00 AM   #3

Sounds as if the Boler has a cushion set-up like my Scamp. Someone, I think at Scamp, called that slender cushion "the banana." I believe it is to be arranged like a headrest for the sofa area, but it just sits there - it isn't secured - and always flops down when traveling. I thought about adding some velcro strips but haven't yet.

Not sure what to tell you about the small board. Was the board for your top bunk actually 2 pieces, with the smaller being attached to the other with a hinge? Mine is, so as to help the sofa backrest conform around the curve of the trailer near the door. Maybe your top bunk plank was replaced, but someone couldn't stand to part with the end piece after removing it? It would be shaped like a "D".

Old 06-28-2003, 09:49 AM   #4

Mystery board

Ches - neat unit - buy am I glad I didn't have to pay $3000 US for mine!

Beverly - Yes, it sounds like I have "the banana" cushion. Is that the only use for it - headrest - or does it fit in somewhere when the beds are made up?

The top bunk had a 3-piece hinged board inside of the cushion cover that hinges onto the trailer. Still haven't figured out the small board. It looks like it a lot of thought went into making it. It even has a gasket down the curved side. Too bad I can't take a picture to post today. Still thinking maybe it goes with the top bunk somehow?

Old 06-28-2003, 01:22 PM   #5

Again, I don't have a Boler but on the Scamp, the largest cushion is for the top bunk. The slightly narrower one is for the bottom bunk, but because you lose some lower bunk cushion space due to the bars that prop up the upper one, the banana fills in the gap between the lower cushion and the front wall.

I'm stymied by the mystery board though. How about some dimensions?

Old 06-28-2003, 02:23 PM   #6

Bunk beds

Hi Lainey:wave

My 13 ft. Boler came with the original cushions. The way they were arranged was - The cushion with the hinged section on each side is hinged to the wood to swing up for the top bunk. The other large cushion is on the bench and the banana cushion fits between the bottom cushion and the wall underneath the folded down bunk cushion. Now I don't know if this is right for sure but they all seem to fit right. I think the extra piece of board must be for another purpose.

Old 06-28-2003, 02:42 PM   #7

That's exactly the way my 91S13 is arranged; the banana is to fill the gap in double-bunk mode and keep the backrest (aka upper bunk) at a slant in couch mode. Also in couch mode, the metal bunk supports can be put on top of the banana where they will ride in cushioned comfort.

Pete in the RatHaus at South Mineral Creek NF CG in Silverton CO

Old 06-28-2003, 04:26 PM   #8

Extra wood piece

I may have missed a response...

This extra small curved piece of wood... Is it about 3-4 feet long and around 3-4 inches wide at the widest??? Straight on one side, curved on the other???

Is so: This piece should have been attached to the wall with fiberglass (under the window). The large board (within the bunk) is then attached to this one to let the bunk hinge down.

mkw

Old 06-28-2003, 05:55 PM   #9

Thanks all for the cushion info. I think I have that part nailed now.

The curved board is 30.5" long, 4.25" wide at the ends, 6" wide at the middle. There is a 1.5" gap on each end and 1/2" gap along the long straight edge where the plywood is only 1/2" in depth. The center portion it is build up with one more layer of 1/4" plywood.

The wall where the bunks attach has a built out piece of plywoood that has been finished with fiberglass and gelcoat. There are holes on the top where the hinges presumably screw in.

Old 06-28-2003, 07:05 PM   #10

extra piece

Ohhhhh.....

I know what it is! (after a quick trip out to my Boler (still for sale BTW!))...

It's NOT part of the front bunk!

It's a bed extension for the rear dinette/bed. I'm presuming your dinette table is like mine and fully detaches from the wall before dropping down to the seats to form the bed. The piece you described is very similar to the bed extension I made for mine. It goes onto the seats with the curve next to the wall. The table then goes in, but sitting 4-6 inches forward of where it normally would sit. That way, it fills in that little notch in the bed so it is straight through the line formed by the closet and kitchen walls. If it's 1/2" thick, the aluminum strip on the back (that attaches to the wall) should nest into the extension board quite neatly.

Doesn't revolutionize the bed, and don't sit on the very edge (table will tilt up), but buys you an extra 4 inches for a full 48 inches.

mkw

Old 06-28-2003, 10:56 PM   #11

Of Course!

Awesome - Thanks Mike :wave That makes perfect sense now that I think about it!

Since it's just little old me using the dinette bed, I won't worry about using it (but will hold on to it, seems like a handy thing to have) BTW, if one uses an extension for the bed, do you still use the regular cushions or is it more for a permanent mattress?