Bunk bed help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Missouri
Bunk bed help!

Hello!

I have a 2005 Scamp 13', and I am missing the bunk bed (the back to the couch) and the poles. I'm thinking about trying to make one, but could someone please send me some good pictures of how it attaches to the scamp frame/ledge? Are they little hinges? big ones? How do the poles actually work?

Anyone have an extra pair of poles and bunk? At least send pictures if you have any.

Thanks!
Tim
thetimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Your wish is my command. Look at this, then I suggest you call Scamp. The back/top bunk is hinged at the ends so that when in the couch position the ends bend to fit the corner curve. It's covered with fabric so I can't tell where or how it's hinged. Scamp should be able to provide you the information you need. Ask for Kent.
FYI, These are from a 2006 prefire 13' Scamp. Most likely the same as yours.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2227[1].jpg   DSCN2226[1].jpg  

Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bunk Pictures

Pictures of bunk W/O cover. The foam is glued to the hinged back.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
829 (2) - Copy.jpg   831 (2).jpg  

824 - Copy.jpg   825 (2) - Copy.jpg  

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

Missouri
thanks!!

Byron and eddie! Thanks a bunch for your fast and great replies!! That is great help! If i can find hinges I think I can make one up.

Take care!
Tim
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Also, I think you can buy the poles from Scamp, but others have suggested that shower curtain rods cut to the correct length work as well....however, Scamps rods have a loop welded onto them to help hold the top in place (at least that's my understanding).....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetimmer View Post
Byron and eddie! Thanks a bunch for your fast and great replies!! That is great help! If i can find hinges I think I can make one up.

Take care!
Tim
I'm pretty sure you can get the hinges from Scamp.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetimmer View Post

Take care!
Tim
Tim they are called Chest Hinges 1 1/2" x 3/4" and Scamp sells them on there online Parts Store.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Have you contacted Scamp to check on just replacing the parts? That at least would be quicker and easier.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #9

Registry
Tim, its been awhile since I had the covers off my top bunk so I cant recall the type of hinge that is actually on the two short pieces of plywood attached to the larger piece as seen in the first photo. A couple of piano type hinges would do the trick and allow the bunk ends to bend to the shape of the trailer when the top bunk is in the down position though.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #10

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
One of the rigs i looked at had the cushions off (i think it was a casita) and the ends were hinged with small piano type hinges....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The top bunk of my 1988 Scamp was "hinged" with heavy, heavy cotton webbing. The kind used in couches years ago. It was extremely strong, soft and flat. It was so flat it didn't leave dents in the foam. It was stapled into the wood on both sides of the "hinge" area.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The top bunk of my 1988 Scamp was "hinged" with heavy, heavy cotton webbing. The kind used in couches years ago. It was extremely strong, soft and flat. It was so flat it didn't leave dents in the foam. It was stapled into the wood on both sides of the "hinge" area.

Thanks Donna I seem to think mine actually has something along those as well.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #13

Missouri
Eddie,

Believe it or not, but I'm still working on trying to build one of those top bunks for my 2005 Scamp 13ft. Thanks for those pictures. Do you happen to know how deep those "wings" are that are on the sides of the bunk? They are the little pieces that fold to accomodate the curve of the Scamp's interior. I'm getting ready to cut my plywood, but I thought I would check.

Also, how are they hinged? I image they are hinged with something that will not bend over 180 degrees or else the wings would flop down with the bunk was up. Would this be a correct assumption?

Thanks for all the help!

Tim
Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #14

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Donna,

Thanks for the help on trying to build a Scamp bunk bed. I'm still working on it at the moment. I would just buy the thing complete from Scamp for $100, but the shipping is nearly $100 on it due to the size. Yikes!

Do you happen to know anyone that has a pair of the bunk bed poles laying around that they would want to give up or sell? We're getting ready to hit the road in about a month on a 3000 mile trip with the two kids, and I've gotta get this bunk bed made.

Thanks!!

Tim
Old 03-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I think mine had piano hinges. I guess the wings were about 8" on each side. Your seat base can be used as a pattern. A lot of people use the back for the cushon if they are sleeping there so they don' have to mess with the bananna cushon. You can use EMT (conduit) for posts. The local hwd. store sell table leg caps to fit. You will need to weld brackets to the post to support/ attach to the upper bunk.
Eddie
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/popup.aspx?src=images//large/HDW004.jpgPRODUCT
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #16

Registry
Tim, to be very sure you could just measure out the full length of the front bunk backing against the trailer and at the point where the wall starts to do the curve is the point you want to add the piano hinged sections.