bunk rail - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #1

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
bunk rail

what have pople made or done fo a upper bunk rail. Looking for ideas, Thanks Rick. Have 77, 13 foot Trillum
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Rick, here's some links for you:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ail-25311.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-25364.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-37114.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-40819.html

That should get you started.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A little PVC pipe and a couple fittings and walla.. Easy and cheap to make.

I believe it was 1 1/2 or 2" PVC pipe, 2 "T"s and 2 end caps. Look at the pictures below. The short pieces from the "T"s fit over the support posts.

The third picture is in use.
All that's needed is something to stop the rolling off. She could still get into and out of the bunk. You would need to make sure the child's head could NOT fit between the bunk pad and the rail.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0253.jpg   IMG_0255.jpg  

IMG_0244.jpg  
Old 07-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #4

Name: Patty
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
I used a tension bar, from ceiling to floor, just for the night, and then stored it under the unit during the day. Good luck...! Don't fall...!
Eddy Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Name: Lisa VPC
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Michigan
How is this connected to the bunk?
LisaVPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaVPC View Post
How is this connected to the bunk?
The following photos include my 1980-1300Trillium upper bunk's rail. I think it was original from manufacturer. It is made of from copper pipes, 1/2-inch. Total there are 3 portions, upper horizon and 2 vertical. They are connected together by push-in. Mine are painted with bottom fiberglass reinforced rail added, heavy duty hinges and inside the mattress, there are 2 other aluminum, L-shape rails-Floor, water-resistance laminate just put in and stainless-steel propane line is on process of completion. Share with you guys...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG612.jpg   IMG613.jpg  

IMG614.jpg   IMG616.jpg  

IMG617.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
The following photos include my 1980-1300Trillium upper bunk's rail. I think it was original from manufacturer.
Randy, That is a great design, but not factory. In fact, in your first picture I can see the wood block that the factory design would mount to. The factory design is a spring loaded shower curtain that squeezes into shower curtain rod ends that would be screwed to that wood block and the hinge side door frame reinforcement.

That tubing is good to thousands of psi, but I understand, from a previous post that compression fittings are not approved for low pressure propane lines. Apparently flair fittings are required, but I think I would trust your system more. Why did you not drill through your new cross member? Also are those Swagelok fittings?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #8

Name: Lisa VPC
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Michigan
Yeah....our 1978 has nothing like that. Bunk is held up with two wooden poles. I have to get this figured out. 6 year old son fell off top bunk...he's not going back up until we have rails
LisaVPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Randy, That is a great design, but not factory. In fact, in your first picture I can see the wood block that the factory design would mount to. The factory design is a spring loaded shower curtain that squeezes into shower curtain rod ends that would be screwed to that wood block and the hinge side door frame reinforcement.

That tubing is good to thousands of psi, but I understand, from a previous post that compression fittings are not approved for low pressure propane lines. Apparently flair fittings are required, but I think I would trust your system more. Why did you not drill through your new cross member? Also are those Swagelok fittings?
David, in my first photo of bunk bed rail, the back wall black painted rail was actually wooden origin, the first bottom black rail is U-shape fiberglass I added on. What I did to the bunk-bed is reinforcement. The rails are copper and origins, I just paint them black. I actually took the bed apart due to sagging at middle and when separating the cover, foam, I BOLT(not screw) 2 L-shape aluminum rails along the length of plywood. Then put back cover, foam and add another fiberglass U-shape rail, paint it black you see in the photo. Change the long, skinny hinge by 2 heavy duty door hinges and one of garage door hinge, paint them all black. In the photo of propane lines, the tube actually goes through original cross members. The rail you see tube not going thru is an added rail for reinforcement. Due to the smaller size and tough material to be drilled-Queen size bed's steel rail-so if drilling a hole, those 3 holes wouldn't be in straight line. The previous owner must have slow leak or his propane system. After installing tubes, I went on tests using soap water. First trial, blowing air at 50psi, then 80psi and final 100psi. First, every connection seems to be OK, second at 80psi, all passed but one( the old fitting).The reason is a scratched O ring(visible by manifying glass). After replace it, I crank the air compressor to 100psi, blowing air with spraying soap around all connectors-Finally all passed). The reason I used union connectors in photos because I have no flare tool at home but I do have stainless steel pipes with flared fittings which are already made with different lengths. So, to let the tube going thru cross members, I have to cut them a half and using union connectors afterward. A propane line, which was made by thin copper of 33 years old trailer have bad shapes, rusty, bent, distorted before I start working on it. Share with you some photos...Cheer! BTW, I am eager to see your final work of belly band. Would you make another ...moulding like...car moulding in there? I wish I could do that!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG617.jpg   IMG619.jpg  

IMG620.jpg   IMG621.jpg  

IMG622.jpg   IMG623.jpg  

IMG624.jpg   IMG625.jpg  

Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #10

Name: Caitlin
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
A little PVC pipe and a couple fittings and walla.. Easy and cheap to make.

I believe it was 1 1/2 or 2" PVC pipe, 2 "T"s and 2 end caps. Look at the pictures below. The short pieces from the "T"s fit over the support posts.

The third picture is in use.
All that's needed is something to stop the rolling off. She could still get into and out of the bunk. You would need to make sure the child's head could NOT fit between the bunk pad and the rail.
Thank you for this wonderful idea - we made this following these instructions and it's perfect!!