burro 13' fridge modifications - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #1

Name: Trevor
Trailer: burro 13'
Utah
Registry
burro 13' fridge modifications

hello everyone. I am looking to upgrade to an actual refrigerator in my burro camper instead of the icebox. however. I am extremely limited in the size of fridge i am capable of using in the space provided for an icebox. such models that fit are extrememly expensive (600$) and are simply ac dc fridges versus the 3 way propane/ ac dc. i am wondering if anyone has simply bought an AC compact fridge and used a power converter for its power source to the battery in their camper. would it drain the battery faster than getting an AC DC fridge or would it work the same? any suggestions on what to do with my tiny 18 inch deep space for a fridge would be great. thanks
trophymuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
yes it's hard on the battery and it actually takes a fairly large inverter to run one of those fridges. Unless they have become more efficient in recent years, some guys tried to use dorm fridges in semi trucks and they just wouldn't work.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophymuley View Post
hello everyone. I am looking to upgrade to an actual refrigerator in my burro camper instead of the icebox. however. I am extremely limited in the size of fridge i am capable of using in the space provided for an icebox. such models that fit are extrememly expensive (600$) and are simply ac dc fridges versus the 3 way propane/ ac dc. i am wondering if anyone has simply bought an AC compact fridge and used a power converter for its power source to the battery in their camper. would it drain the battery faster than getting an AC DC fridge or would it work the same? any suggestions on what to do with my tiny 18 inch deep space for a fridge would be great. thanks
That's exactly what I did. I bought a 1.7 cu ft. refrigerator only and put in a 1500 watt inverter. When the refrigerator doesn't have a freezer in it, there is no compressor and has a very small electrical draw. We actually also have a 1.7 cu ft. freezer and both run from the inverter while mobile and from shore power when we're camped. If we stop to eat, I simply unplug the trailer from the tv and when the trailer battery runs out, they shut down for a short period until we're back on the road which doesn't hurt anything.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I installed an AC-only dorm frig in our previous trailer. Never used an inverter, just planned it's use based on ac availability and length of travel (adding ice turns the frig into an icebox, just freeze water in 2 liter bottles, when at destination turn on frig and put ice in cooler if you use both). Since the only part of the frig in view was the door, I bought it at a scratch and dent store for 20 bucks -- well worth not having dc or propane.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #5

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
I installed an AC-only dorm frig in our previous trailer. Never used an inverter, just planned it's use based on ac availability and length of travel (adding ice turns the frig into an icebox, just freeze water in 2 liter bottles, when at destination turn on frig and put ice in cooler if you use both). Since the only part of the frig in view was the door, I bought it at a scratch and dent store for 20 bucks -- well worth not having dc or propane.
How well did the dorm fridge fit? I'm thinking about that for my Boler.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The dorm fridge we put in our 16' UHaul was 18.5 inches wide and 23.5 inches high (not counting the feet). I don't know the depth. I had to cut the opening slightly larger than the original icebox.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
The dorm fridge we put in our 16' UHaul was 18.5 inches wide and 23.5 inches high (not counting the feet). I don't know the depth. I had to cut the opening slightly larger than the original icebox.
Anytime you convert 12v into 120v you lose power, in a battery it is amps.
If you want to run something off a battery then get the item in a 12v arena. If you plug into 120v you can still use it and if you are on battery you can use it. The amp draw of a 12v refer, similar to mine is 2-3 amps. you will not match that draw converting 12v to 120v to run a 120v refer. similar to tv, get a 12v tv and not worry about getting an inverter, they are not an efficient use of battery power.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
@Greg: My Boler had a dorm fridge when I bought it, didn't look like it was modified too much to fit it in the space.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #9

Indiana
Thank's Luke, I have two of them but they are both the tall ones,A store in town has a short one that is out of the box and may be a scratch and dent.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Thank's Luke, I have two of them but they are both the tall ones,A store in town has a short one that is out of the box and may be a scratch and dent.

Understand! Mine is a shortie, and they actually used some trim to close the gap. If you live near a college town, you can find em for $25 on craigslist as the students move out (of course, provided you can find a short one)!

If you lived closer, I'd give you mine. Until then, it'll sit in the basement, and be a designated brew cooler! (I'm replacing it with a used 3-way)
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #11

Indiana
I do live 60 miles from Sul Ross State University, I hear at the end of the school year those kids throw away a lot of stuff.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Quote:
It fit great! If I remember correctly, the side-to-side space was a bit too tight so had to cut wider and the top-to-bottom space was more than needed. I think I positioned the frig on a base to install it as high as possible. Trimmed the opening with wood after install.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #13

Indiana
Sounds simple enough, thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've always thought this place had good prices for compact appliances:
Mini Fridges, Small Refrigerators & Compact Dorm Refrigerators On Sale Now At least too me, they look like they're better built that most "dorm" style refers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, fridge