Burro Awning Rail - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody 1999
Mike inspired me and I also ordered an awning from Interwest - a 10ft supreme - along with the mounting brackets to attach to the side of the Burro. I also got 12 ft of awning rail.

My question is how to mount the awning rail to the Burro. Do you bolt it through both walls of the trailer? This will be the first thing I have screwed into my Burro and I don't know how strong the walls are. Any advice?

Thanks, Nancy
Nancy A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I need to get on my roof tomorrow, I will look and see if any of it makes sense.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 75 Boler
Quote:
Mike inspired me and I also ordered an awning from Interwest - a 10ft supreme - along with the mounting brackets to attach to the side of the Burro. I also got 12 ft of awning rail.

My question is how to mount the awning rail to the Burro. Do you bolt it through both walls of the trailer? This will be the first thing I have screwed into my Burro and I don't know how strong the walls are. Any advice?

Thanks, Nancy
Hi Nancy,

I think that's great! You have to admit, the price is right. You will have to keep me updated on how it goes! If I can help in any way, just let me know, and post some pic's when you get it done!

Sounds like the Burro's have two layers of fiberglass, where the Bolers have one.

Mike
Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #4

Registry
Yes, the Burros are double shells.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
I installed an awning rail on my first fiberglass trailer with rivets. It was a 14' Burro Widebody. The caulking I used was ProflexRv sealant by Geocell that I bought at Camping World.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #6

Registry
You could cut small holes on the inside (With a hole cutter bit) and gain access to the backside of the outer shell.

You would then encapsulate some wood blocks to that, bolt the rail into the wood blocks and glass back in the holes on the inner shell with the bit saved from the cut outs originally and finish.

The outer shell is pretty hefty, but I am not sure I would trust molly bolts for something that is going to get tugged on as much as an awning.

My awning is factory installed and I imagine there is a wooden brace back there. Certainly much easier to do before the shells are put together.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Nancy,

Did you install your awning? We have a 1982 13' Burro and are interested in attaching an awning to it. Any advice from anyone that has added an awning to a 13' Burro? I'd love to see some photos!

Rob
Rob Carmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Nancy,

Did you install your awning? We have a 1982 13' Burro and are interested in attaching an awning to it. Any advice from anyone that has added an awning to a 13' Burro? I'd love to see some photos!

Rob
Hi Rob, I am in the process of installing it now after much deliberation. First I took out the flange on the roof vent to see how the double hull looked and how thick the fiberglass is.
I had bought the bag awning from Interwest sports and since it is very light I felt I could install it without drilling through both layers of fiberglass to add the rail.
I bought a tap set for 10-32 ss machine screws and some 1/2" screws. I installed it high enough so the door would clear the awning. I snapped a chalk line, screwed the 2 opposite ends of the railing and then screwed the rest in between. I also decided that some sort of tape or tube type caulking would prevent the rail from getting full contact with the fiberglass hull and since I was using only 1/2" screws I needed as many twists on the screws into the fiberglass as possible. I sealed each hole with blue lok-tite and believe that will prevent any leaks.

I am very impressed with the Interwest awning. Once the railing was up it intalled in a few minutes. Deploying the awning is easy - but really needs 2 people for convenience. It is very well engineered. I did find that the side wall brackets for the leg posts won't work because the awning has to be put down so low the door won't open. So I will just use the stakes that came with it.

As a final touch I put industrial velcro under the awning bag so when towing it won't flap.

I'll put up pictures in the next day or so.

Nancy A.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #9

Thanks Nancy! I have a few more questions.

So, you only attached it through the outer hull? You didn't cut the inner hull at all like Gina D. suggested and added a wood support?

I'm sorta handy but never used any "tap" tools/screws. Can you explain what tool you bought? Is this some sort of rivet? There isn't a toggle bolt/washer or something holding it in? It's hard to imagine 1/2" screws holding the railing on much less the awning when deployed.

You bought the bag awning but it sounds like you travel with it attached to the rail? I assumed you take it off and haul it inside the camper or in the tow vehicle.

Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to the pictures!

Rob
Old 06-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Nancy! I have a few more questions.

So, you only attached it through the outer hull? You didn't cut the inner hull at all like Gina D. suggested and added a wood support?

I'm sorta handy but never used any "tap" tools/screws. Can you explain what tool you bought? Is this some sort of rivet? There isn't a toggle bolt/washer or something holding it in? It's hard to imagine 1/2" screws holding the railing on much less the awning when deployed.

You bought the bag awning but it sounds like you travel with it attached to the rail? I assumed you take it off and haul it inside the camper or in the tow vehicle.

Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to the pictures!

Rob
There are a lot of screws attaching the railing so it is very strong. Also the fiberglass itself is fairly thick and strong so using one layer that is threaded and has many screws makes a firm connection. I plan to travel with the bag attached - to me that seems the whole point of having an attached awning. The bag is screwed to the railing so it can't fall off plus it has a thick nylon cord that runs through the rail groove. The velcro is to stop flapping since the bag hangs down below the railing. My awning is 10 ft long - you would probably get a shorter on for the 13ft.
I also used the goo that fiberglass boats use around the screws when putting something through the hull. I think cutting a hole to add wood would further increase the chances for a leak. You could also run a bead of Flex-Seal above the awning rail as a barrier to roof-water run off. I live in Arizona so we don't get a lot of rain.

A tap set somes with a tap and drill bit for whatever size screw you will be using - like a 10-32. It is available at Lowes or such and is inexpensive.

If you take the roof vent moulding frame down and look at the double layers - mine had the insulation between them - you will get a better idea of the Burro construction.

Good luck -
Attached Thumbnails
P1000116_2_.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #11

Thanks for all the great info Nancy. We are heading out on out madien voyage this weekend with our Burro. We are very excited but need to see how things go the first time before we spend too much effort on ungrades. Thanks again!

Rob

Tags
burro