Burro Cabinet Inserts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #1

Name: Timothy
Trailer: In the Market
Texas
Burro Cabinet Inserts

Hello,

I have a great looking Burro I am fixing up. The previous owner replaced the inside fiberglass but didn't get to the cabinets, so there's just holes right now. Could anyone give me suggestions as to what to insert into the holes to make them functional cabinets? I heard there was a company that makes custom cabinet inserts, however I'm guessing that's expensive. Thanks.

Tim
timav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Is the "inside" fiberglass you refer to glass batt insulation? If so, I'd like to see how the PO approached that task! I have never heard of anyone "replacing" the inner liner or hull. I am also not certain what is meant by inserts but I'll guess it's the pasteboard liner? I'm no help. Maybe pictures would help.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Timothy

I too am having a hard time wrapping my head around your description. Pictures would really help
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #4

Texas
Old 11-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

Texas
Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #6

Texas
Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #7

Texas
Old 11-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #8

Texas
Old 11-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #9

Delaware
You might think about using Reflectix instead of glass batt and perhap also in lieu of the cardboard liner that would show in SOME cabinets. For instance, in ours, there's glass batt on the wheel well under the sink and on the outside wall. The upper cabs all over the trailer have faux wood-grain cardboard liner. There's also glass batt in the cavity between the inner and outer skin which might be apparent to you if you pull the AC or a roof vent or fan. It's squeezed flat, has no real insulation value, and you won't be replacing that no way. Reflectix could be cut to fit and adhered pretty easy with a spray contact cement. If there were "inserts" except for the pieced together cardboard in the upper cabs or lockers, I know nothing about them but perhaps a Sac City owner will know more than I.

jack
Old 11-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
You might think about using Reflectix instead of glass batt and perhap also in lieu of the cardboard liner that would show in SOME cabinets. For instance, in ours, there's glass batt on the wheel well under the sink and on the outside wall. The upper cabs all over the trailer have faux wood-grain cardboard liner. There's also glass batt in the cavity between the inner and outer skin which might be apparent to you if you pull the AC or a roof vent or fan. It's squeezed flat, has no real insulation value, and you won't be replacing that no way. Reflectix could be cut to fit and adhered pretty easy with a spray contact cement. If there were "inserts" except for the pieced together cardboard in the upper cabs or lockers, I know nothing about them but perhaps a Sac City owner will know more than I.

jack
I don't think that the OP is talking about insulation. I think the question is how to turn fiberglass shells into useful cabinets. I'd be inclined to build something out of thin plywood and 1x2s.

In my similar UHaul there is an icebox or refrigerator on the front right. On the right of the sink, a cook top is inset. On the front left, I did this. For the coat closet, I did this.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #11

Delaware
I like Tom's "insert" in the wheelwell area. I'd say do that. While it's true that softwood or hardwood cleats and nailers can be attached to the glass with nothing more than a slather of Bondo and backs, sides and shelves added from 1/4 or 3/8" plywd, it all adds wgt. and creates more cavities and dead spaces which I don't care for. I did the cleat and shelf treatment in the upper hanging locker but for the "holes" down of the floor, I like a bit more open plan as water will eventually get in if only from rinse water on a fridge vent or louvre. I like it to evaporate rather than migrating into a lot of ply or cardboard partitions. As Tom says the "inserts" that go in the right hand holes in the galley cabinet are pretty obvious and by the time you're plumbed for propane for the range top and fridge and put them in, not to mention a water pump and tank should you choose to stuff those next the wheel well, you won't have room for more than a bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towels.

jack
Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #12

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I am assuming that the burro came as single wall - open to the outside wall - for wire access in those cupboards. Mine is an '82 and it has the same problem. I'm reluctant to stuff things on top of the wires, but also hesitant to cut off access.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Isn't the Burro the cousin to the Uhauls, Looks like the same cabinet for the stove/ sink/ ice box and the same overhead cabinet except the doors swing sideways instead of up. Also looks like it has an inner shell. Early Uhauls, as I understand it, did not have liners in the cabinets, they were added later for ease of cleaning after rental. I have the overhead liners that appear to have been added later. I removed the one under the sink and gained a lot more storage area. Same under the seating/ bed areas. I am using pieces of carpet pad to prevent damage to the shell from items bouncing around in those storage areas. Tom did a nice storage unit under his sink, I'm more of the "pile it in" type of person. Sometimes trying to be too neat can take up more room. Under the left rear seating I managed to get a Rubbermaid Action Packer in there because I removed the water tank, load it up and bungeed it down.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #14

Delaware
Inner hull of a Burro or U-Haul departs from the outer hall in the area of the lockers, cabs. bunk risers. They are all double-hull no matter the separation between inner and outer. If you had no door, fridge, stove cutouts, you would have two continuous hulls no matter the varying distance between them.

jack
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #15

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
The upper cabinets on our Trillium are lined w/ the same elephant skin as used on the exposed part of the interior. I put 1/4" ply bottoms in them to give a more stable surface to store things on and to isolate the wiring that is in the cabinets. I built inserts in the lower part where I installed drawers and cabinets to have something to put drawer slides and shelves on. If you are putting a frige or ice box in the big hole under where the cook top was you shouldn't need any kind of liner, maybe a floor if what is there doesn't support the frige adequately. It all kinda depends on what you are going to put in those cavities. As has been mentioned-weight should be a concern.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
This may be a good aplication for the Ensolite replacement that TrilliumRV.com sells.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our Burro had nothing lining the inside the cabinets like our Uhaul does.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #18

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
My Burro is a 1980 and it has no liner.....looks just like the photos.

I bought it from an older couple who even had the original owners manual and builders instruction sheet.....it was very well maintained and original.....even the original seat cushions.

So I'd guess there were no liners.....just checked....none in the instructions.
papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I agree with previous posters- it looks to me like all that's really missing is shelves, if they'd fit. Looks just like the interior of the cabinets in my Trillium except that at least in my uppers there's the ensolite wall covering. (The undersink area doesn't even have that.)

I can't tell/don't know if any of the openings have molded edges as on my Trillim's main cabinets, but for those that don't, a more finished look can be achieved by adding some push-on molding to those cutout edges. Don't know if it would interfere with the doors closing, though...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
My UH did not come with any liners. I put reflectix in the upper cabinet against the outside wall, and wood on the bottom. There is a HUGE amount more space than if the uppers had liners. I thought I wanted liners until I saw them, and realized that they cut storage space in half. I've put reflextix in the closet also, and installed shelves in it. I also don't have any liners in the lower storage compartments. I pack in plastic boxes that can fit into the storage compartments.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro