Burro ceiling finish - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #1

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
When camping with three sleeping inside my burro - even with the top vent open, the walls are covered with moisture by morning.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1825028489.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	54000

Will switching to an auto fabric of some kind over insulation absorb that moisture (is that why do many fiberglass units have rat fur beyond simplicity of application?)

Would I be causing a mold problem? The burro is a double fiberglass wall except the strip going in the center as seen in the photo.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quit breathing! Sorry, that sounded harsh... but it's sorta true. Contrary to what people want to believe, these molded trailers (most) are not built for cold weather. Your Burro sounds like there's only air between the hulls, no insulation and certainly not a vaccum.

Prior to the big hack of FiberglassRV, someone posted a thread that spoke to the amount of moisture that's put into the air by just breathing in-and-out. Something more than a QUART of water per person in an 8-hour sleep. That water has to go some place. Those of us that have "rat fur" etc. know it doesn't just disappear. Curtains, carpet, cushions all aborb that moisture... it doesn't just drip on us in the morning.

Truly, the only solution is to keep the inside temperture the same as the outside temperture and hope keeping air moving inside assists.

There's a reason double-pane/storm windows are popular/used in stick built homes....

Sleep warm, but the more even the temperature inside and out the less moisture.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Hi Donna, I did read something, sometime here about how much moisture we breathe out. I am proof! Just check with us on any chilly morning. It is amazing. Sorry to hear there is not a simple cure :-( I'm snug under covers in bed - heat not on, vent cracked - high 30s to low 40s outside. I guess I need to put something in I can mop off in the morning with the walls.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, a really good sleeping bag(s), or an electric blanket and hat on the had helps. And yes, opening the top vent and a window or two

I remember as a kid, sleeping in an oily Army tent when it was cold and my Mom yelling in the morning... DON'T TOUCH THE SIDE OF THE TENT. It had nothing to do with rain... except on the inside
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Well, a really good sleeping bag(s), or an electric blanket and hat on the had helps. And yes, opening the top vent and a window or two

I remember as a kid, sleeping in an oily Army tent when it was cold and my Mom yelling in the morning... DON'T TOUCH THE SIDE OF THE TENT. It had nothing to do with rain... except on the inside
Wow. Even a tent! I guess it doesn't matter what I use to cover that top bit as long as it is washable.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Sue,

If you can hook up to electricity use an electric cube heater and keep vents open. The dry heat from the electric heater might help move the air out and keep things drier. Maybe you have already tried this?

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #7

Washington
Registry
Hi Nancy, I haven't tried that yet. So far this winter we've camped in non-electric sites. January 18th I'll be in a site with power and will try that! It should be chilly and the space heater will feel great. Thanks.