Burro Electrical Questions from a Newbie - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #15

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro
Idaho
Im a newbie Burro owner as well. I have to totally rewire my Burro and am between an idiot and a moron with electric. I have learned a little about DC wiring and am continuing to research. This forum is great for answers. You should use all LED lighting, Install a fuse box that will also give you the option to wire for AC because if you don't always want to rely on solar for battery charge or have a generator or might use a campground with power sometimes, AC power capability is a plus.
Gordon2 gave me a good reference book for wiring in an RV. I'm going to buy it.

cda will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda will View Post
Im a newbie Burro owner as well. I have to totally rewire my Burro and am between an idiot and a moron with electric. I have learned a little about DC wiring and am continuing to research. This forum is great for answers. You should use all LED lighting, Install a fuse box that will also give you the option to wire for AC because if you don't always want to rely on solar for battery charge or have a generator or might use a campground with power sometimes, AC power capability is a plus.
Gordon2 gave me a good reference book for wiring in an RV. I'm going to buy it.
I would get a power center, such as are made by PD, Wfco.... these take a 120VAC power cord from outside, have AC breakers for any AC outlets etc you want to install, then have a place to connect your battery, a fuse panel for your DC circuits, and a power converter, which takes in AC and both charges the battery and provides DC power for your lights, fan, etc when you're plugged into AC.

you probably want a 35-45A power center with a 30A AC main circuit, thats the size used on all modern Casitas, Escapes, and so forth.

this is the WFCO power center in my Escape... this one is a 55A which is probably much bigger than you'd want for a Burro, my Escape has 230AH worth of dual golf cart batteries, but they all look more or less the same. behind the plastic facia panel is all the connections, AC and DC.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro
Idaho
D C wiring Burro

Thanks, John. Fortunately, my Burro came with a new power center that looks about the same as yours. Really helps to simplify the wiring chore. Also had a reply about using marine grade wiring and heat shrink wraps for connectors that Iím going to use. Had a local R V repair place suggest coming off the battery with 8 AWG wire, going to a circuit breaker rather than using an in-line fuse. Sounds like a good idea, as well.

One of my many problems with planning for my wiring job has been my lack of knowledge about all of the various types of connectors and other wiring components. Iím learning though. Also have a teardrop trailer and Iíve picked up some knowledge from how the manufacturer did things. Unfortunately, a lot of things were covered during construction. Love this forum so thanks all!
cda will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:47 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
the AC wiring should use Romex. this threw me when I first moved from DC and digital stuff to AC wiring, but in the AC world, black is hot, and white is neutral, while in DC, black is negative/ground, and red is positive. some trailers use the AC colors for DC wiring too, with a white negative (casita does this) but I'm not a big fan.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, burro, electrical, wiring