Burro floor wet under the linoleum: is this a condensation problem? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #21

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
On the Burro it's for looks, not to hold the halves together. Don't worry, you won't split your egg.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Good to know, Mike. Suspected as much but better safe than clueless, flangeless, eggless and itching all over. The center seam flanges might also make a good attachment point for that flexible hose with the controllable lights inside. Strictly for those who have done all they can do with illuminated chili peppers!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #23

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
On the Burro it's for looks, not to hold the halves together. Don't worry, you won't split your egg.
Another thanks for the confirmation! A Burro Over Easy would be a real bummer!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #24

Pennsylvania
Registry
Backing up for a second, how ARE the two halves held together if not at that flange? I woke up in the middle of the night trying to picture how and where they are otherwise stuck to each other.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My thoughts exactly, but I was bowing out to other opinions.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #26

I've read many comments in the past about the two halves being joined with more fiberglass across the joint. Same prinicple as a seamless hull repair on a boat.

Let me ask you a question: does the flange look like it has the structural strength to actually hold the two halves together? It would have to be really thick and strong for that job.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #27

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Backing up for a second, how ARE the two halves held together if not at that flange? I woke up in the middle of the night trying to picture how and where they are otherwise stuck to each other.
See my post above. You have the thing torn apart, take a look at the seams. I'm sure you can see fiberglass at the seam at the top and bottom of the window openings. You need to check that anyway if you are suspect of leaking windows.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #28

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
In my 2000 17ft Burro, the Trimlock is a decorative cover. The left and right halves of a Burro are fiberglassed together, with an added fiberglass strip bridging the two halves, on the inside. You can see this if you remove the interior center trim. I had a small leak along that center seam, I removed all the silicon that was previously there and put on a narrow strip of Eternabond, then put the Trimlock back on top of that. Zero leaks since that permanent fix. But if I were to ever paint the Burro in the future, I would grind away that center seam completely and glass/fill it in before hand, I like that all smooth look.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #29

Pennsylvania
Registry
I will have to take a much closer look the next time I am at the winter makeover HQ in another 2 weeks. I have a 1980, which may have some structural variations from the more recent 1990s models. But I do feel like the two halves definitely are fused in the interior below the windows....I have not paid a lot of close attention to what it looks like inside, at the ceiling.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
When you go, take a bunch of these in case you need them-
Attached Images

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #31

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When you go, take a bunch of these in case you need them-

I thought I might prophylactically wrap a roll of duct tape all the way around!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #32

Now that is an interesting idea, an egg refinished with duct tape! No worries about a dull gelcoat. They even have different colors of duct tape now, so you'd have great flexibility in decorating style. Maybe a combination of Red and Green?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #33

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I considered this too after watching the YouTube video of the kid and dad who made and entire camper out of duct tape. It even goes into detail about how to layer it just right to eliminate leaking. Of course I am a bit of a geek.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I KNOW you are all just pulling someone's leg talking about duct tape on a trailer. The glue turns to concrete and is nearly impossible to get off. Ask me how I know! Okay, lessons learned and if I use duct tape... it won't be on the trailer for more than a day or two at most and most definitely NOT when the ambient temperature is hot. I consider duct tape to be as nasty as silicone on my trailer... run Will Robinson, run!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #35

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I don't play an engineer on TV but my best wag is that two flanges roughly 3/4" in height bonded together with resin would have about the same resistance to separation as the same flanges held together with Jim's paper clips. I hate climbing out on that roof (usually use a duck board extending off a section of scaffold) despite the beam section created by the longitudinal "clerestory" that assures proper headroom for the "vertically challenged" (anyone over 5' 11"). Most likely the halves are both bonded at the flanges AND strapped across the seam on the interior. Home Makeover, Trailer Edition will certainly reveal the truth in the case of Jen's 13. Let us know, Jen.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #36
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Three thoughts---

--It occurs to me that the vertical flange is structural in that much like a piece of angle iron it will provide rigidity to the roof. I would be reluctant to "flatten" it.

--While trying to find a leak we had duct tape on the belly band and the back windows of our Trillium for about a month which included a couple of weeks in the outer banks of North Carolina in June and did not experience the issues Donna refers to. The stuff came right off with minimal residue that was easily removed with Go Gone. Same story this fall when the closet door hinges let loose. I did a temporary fix on the hinges and added duct tape to hold it together. Perhaps it's a brand issue. In the past I've used either 3m or Duck brand. Just bought some from Ace. We'll see how that behaves.

-- Finally I would definitely seal the flange on top to keep water from working its way in and then in the winter freezing, expanding, and creating a leak. I realize where you are you don't get the winter we do here in VT, still it's a consideration. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #37

Pennsylvania
Registry
This is a great debate on the value of the flange. I'll be heading over to winter makeover HQ this weekend and we'll eye the thing up and go from there. I'll report back! Thanks all for the input!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Raz, your point about "brand" of duct tape may be spot on. I think I bought the cheap stuff... thought I'd have to chisel the glue off...

Jen, we'll wait for your follow up!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #39
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Raz, your point about "brand" of duct tape may be spot on. I think I bought the cheap stuff... thought I'd have to chisel the glue off...

Jen, we'll wait for your follow up!
Yet another victim of Dollar store duct tape. I saw some stuff called Gorilla tape the other day. I don't think I would use that either.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #40

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Duct tape removal

We borrowed our son's casita last year. The previous owner had duct taped a forsale sign to the door leaving residual sticky stuff behind.

I used WD40 on a micro cloth to remove it. Not easy but it worked.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro