Burro Gas Light - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 13 ft Burro
Hi Folks-

I'm new to this board, and have already found it to be very helpful. I also just purchased a basically stock 13' burro. I am trying to mod it to be very self-contained as we like to camp off-grid whenever possible for longer periods of time. My question is this: I would like to install a Humphrey gas light above the kitchenette, and I was wondering if anyone is aware of any safety issues around that idea - will heat from this light be a problem?

I can keep a window, or the roof vent cracked so that oxygen won't be depleted.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Paul
Paul Platosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I have not used one of these lights, but I have a camping fuel lantern, which is basically the same idea but portable, and with liquid fuel.

Paul, it sound like you already know about the safety issues. Since no one else is responding, I'll toss in my comments on the [b]heat output.

The Gameco page for Humphrey Products contains this information (in SI units, since this distributor is Australian)
Quote:
Gas consumption is 2.1MJ per hour. One kilo of LPG produces over 20 hours of light at a cost of only a few cents per hour.
PropaneProducts.com says in their Gas Lights by Falks and Paulin - Humphrey page:
Quote:
70 Watt output equivalent, approximately 11 hours of light per pound of propane.
and the Gas-Lights.com page agrees. The MarksRV page shows the same propane consumption, but light output equivalent to a 75 W bulb.

So the [b]light output is similar to that of a 70 W incandescent bulb, or 20 W fluorescent tube.

The Australian and US sites disagree on the propane consumption, since 11 hours per pound would be about 24 hours per kilogram, but using the more optimistic Australian number, the heat energy value of the propane burned would be 2.1 megajoules per hour. Since this is an unvented light/heater (so all of the heat produced stays in the trailer), essentially all of the propane's energy is converted to heat (or there would be unacceptable fumes), and almost none of that heat energy is light (like any heated light source), all 2.1 MJ/h becomes heat in the trailer.

2.1 MJ/h is about [b]1990 BTU/hr, or 583 watts. The small portable propane-fueled catalytic heaters (such as the Coleman ProCat I have but don't use) are commonly rated for output of only 3000 BTU/hr, and I have heated my 17' Boler in near-freezing temperatures with the waste heat of cooking and a 1500 watt heater on a low setting. The following quote from the ProCat specs shows that the propane consumption is in proportion between their heater and this light:
Quote:
• 3,000 BTU unit runs up to 7 hours on 16.4oz. Coleman propane cylinder (sold separately)
In the winter, the heat might be appreciated. Any time of year, I assume that the light could be "turned down" to some lower level, but it will be an even less efficient light source in that mode. In any kind of warm weather, I think the heat output would be a significant annoyance, unless there was a fortunate combination of using the light only in cool evenings.

Some other FiberglassRV members have reported using gas lights; maybe they'll add some practical experience...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 1984 13 ft Burro
Thanks Brian-

Good info! If others have done it, I am confident to do it too. I was concerned the heat could warp/bubble the gel coat.

Paul
Paul Platosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...The Gameco page for Humphrey Products contains this information (in SI units, since this distributor is Australian)...
New link: Gameco Products catalog - Paulin-Humphrey Indoor Gas Lights; gas consumption is no longer shown, but the product detail pages offer a gaslight manual.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, lighting, lights, propane, tail lights