Burro Prepurchase Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
I'm looking at a Burro, or at least pictures of one, and have some questions. The seller is little help because the trailer is owned by his father and the seller has no experience with it.

This first picture is of the front seam. Is the seam cap merely decorative and not important in terms of leaks and keeping out rain? I ask because there's some weirdness just above the window and also halfway between the bottom of the window and the bottom of the picture.

Do you see anything in this picture that is worrisome?

Click image for larger version

Name:	frontseam_DSCN0250.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	20286

This picture is of the back seam. It appears to have no seam cap above the window. Is this a problem? Are there other problems here?

Name:	rearseam_DSCN0252.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	20287

The picture below shows several things which puzzle me. One is the plumbing hanging down to the left of the license plate. It looks like it's pulled down from where it should be -- at least that's what I think from this picture. What is it, and is its position important?

Oh, and what is the cap to the right of the taillight?

Another thing it shows (but poorly) is the side marker light has no lens -- just the bulb hanging out in the breeze. Would this be a problem in terms of water entry in the rain? Is it possible or likely that there is mold in between the two shells because of this?

Thanks!!

Name:	leftrear_DSCN0252.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	20288
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
The pinch moulding has no end caps. You just use silicone on ends to seal them. As far as the side marker....you can buy new ones inexpensively to replace them at any rv store.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

[quote]One is the plumbing hanging down to the left of the license plate. It looks like it's pulled down from where it should be -- at least that's what I think from this picture. What is it, and is its position important?

Oh, and what is the cap to the right of the taillight?

Attachment 20288

If I remember Gina D.s previous 13' Burro correctly, the cap to the right of the tail light is in the position to be the fill for the Fresh Water Tank. The plumbing hanging to the left of the License Plate would be the exterior drain petcock for same.

On her 17' Burro, the cap to the right of the tail light is in the location for her shore power cord, with the water tanks being forward, under the middle of the floor.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #4

Quote:
The pinch moulding has no end caps. You just use silicone on ends to seal them. As far as the side marker....you can buy new ones inexpensively to replace them at any rv store.
Sorry Jim, I'm totally clueless and would like to be sure I understand your answers properly.

So the pinch molding is only cosmetic and has no weathersealing function?

And the lensless side marker light is not likely to have let sufficient water into the space between the shells to cause a mold problem?

Also, are the lenses a popular size that I will be able to find readily? I'm told the trailer is a 1986 model.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Dana,

That molding is only a decorative cap. The two halves of the trailer are held together - and waterproofed - by a fiberglass strip on the inside. If one wanted a "smooth" trailer, one could grind that ridge right off and fair it flat. Much quicker at the factory to trim it out as they did.

Trim-Lok, among others, make new welting for the seam. It comes in different depths and widths, and there is a helper guide on their site.

www.trimlok.com

Raya

PS: Not to say you shouldn't shop carefully, because you are absolutely right to; but just as a data point: As wonderful as our little eggs are, they were built to a price, by laborers willing to take jobs working with smelly and toxic materials, and not to a BMW fit and finish. So I'm just saying don't be too surprised to find "crude" spots. (Although it is good to check things out - I'm certainly not discouraging that!
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the info Raya L!
Old 05-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Nothing I see here would stop me from buying a Burro.
All is fixable very easily.

Pete
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #8

Thanks pjanits! Now I can feel more confident about this long-distance purchase.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Dana....the pinch moulding caps the two halves of the shell. It actually has metal inside of the vinyl cover to hold the flanges. Last year I replaced all of the old, dry rotted pinch moulding on our Burro with new pinch moulding that I bought directly from the Scamp Trailer Company. If you need to replace yours just call Scamp at 1-800-346-4962 and ask for the parts dept. You just use a rubber mallet to drive it on to the flanges and cut it to length. You then apply silicone caulk to the open ends to seal them. As far as the side markers....those are a standard size and you can get them at any RV supply and are simple to replace.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
Quote:
I haven't had my burro long and have been wondering how to take care of the pinch moulding. I am learning a lot on these forums.
Pat S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #11

Thanks everybody -- it's so nice to know these range from non-problems to very simple problems. I was afraid I was going to make really disheartening discoveries after purchasing the trailer, like "Oh that lens hasn't been made since 1987" or something.

I may still make disheartening discoveries, but it won't be these things....
Old 05-17-2009, 02:13 AM   #12

Just a note to say that I would strongly recommend against using silicone anywhere on a trailer. It really doesn't seal that well, yet, ironically, is the devil to remove (and that's not even counting the invisible oil contamination it leaves).

There are numerous other types of suitable caulk if you do feel that you want to cover the end of the trim (or for any other caulking project).

Sorry to sound like a nag, but I feel like I have to speak up when people recommend it (I'm sure they don't realize).

Raya
Old 05-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #13

Thanks for the heads-up, Raya.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #14

Trailer: Holiday Rambler Endeavor
Quote:
Just a note to say that I would strongly recommend against using silicone anywhere on a trailer. It really doesn't seal that well, yet, ironically, is the devil to remove (and that's not even counting the invisible oil contamination it leaves).

There are numerous other types of suitable caulk if you do feel that you want to cover the end of the trim (or for any other caulking project).

Sorry to sound like a nag, but I feel like I have to speak up when people recommend it (I'm sure they don't realize).

Raya
I was googling TrimLok and spotted this link. Interesting comment. If not silicone then what else. I just replaced the edging and thought I would run a small bead along the top side. However your comment about removing it is another task I have from the previous owners use of it!
Thanks
Nelson R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I will add my usual line. Be careful. If you ask too many questions while trying to decide, it can be bought by someone else. I was that someone else. While someone on this forum was asking questions about a Uhaul on ebay, I followed the link to the ebay ad and bought it.

While the recession has had an impact, it can be "you snooze, you loose."

CindyL
Old 05-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #16

Cindy,

I think Dana is on her way to look at/buy a Compact Jr. right now.

Nelson,

I'm not sure there is any reason to "seal" the end of the Trimlok, as there shouldn't be anything "open" behind it -- it's only meant as a cosmetic cover; however if you want to put something there, you could use a small bit of polyurethane caulk (3M4200) or something like 3M4000 (which is not supposed to yellow; white polyurethane can yellow when exposed to UV -- of course I don't know that you are using white).

Perhaps even a latex caulk could work, although I'm not familiar with them as we don't tend to use them on boats.

Raya

Tags
burro