Burro rock guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: 83 Burro
Illinois
Burro rock guard

I finally finished replacing the floor and sealing up my Burro and moved it outside. High winds blew the rock guard out of it's frame. It looks like the frame is aluminum. Some kind of plastic trim was installed with screws to do a press fit for the rock guard. I'm trying to figure out a good way to replace this plastic trim with something that will hold the rock guard in place better. Any ideas?
GWMattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:58 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWMattson View Post
I finally finished replacing the floor and sealing up my Burro and moved it outside. High winds blew the rock guard out of it's frame. It looks like the frame is aluminum. Some kind of plastic trim was installed with screws to do a press fit for the rock guard. I'm trying to figure out a good way to replace this plastic trim with something that will hold the rock guard in place better. Any ideas?
If you post a photo of the situation and the trim piece plus some dimensions of the original trim piece it is quite likely I will be able to give you a substitute solution. I have a lot of familiarity with materials useful for such things.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:21 AM   #3

Illinois
I thought I did attach pictures in my original post. Let's try this again.

I don't know how the rock guard was originally attached. It sits in a 1/2 inch aluminum channel (about 1/2 inch). Now there is plastic trim in there. It looks like the plastic trim was giving it a press fit inside the channel. I doubt the plastic trim was original.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0403 (1).jpg   IMG_0405 (1).jpg  

Old 03-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #4

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I'd use cardboard to mock up the perfect fit, then use the template to cut out a new insert from opaque fiberglass or smoke lexan. If the frame is like mine (hard to tell from the pix) you may have to drill out rivets to open the frame enough, but it'd be worth it. From the pix, it looks like a rectangular piece was fit in with shims of some sort.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #5

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I'd use cardboard to mock up the perfect fit, then use the template to cut out a new insert from opaque fiberglass or smoke lexan. If the frame is like mine (hard to tell from the pix) you may have to drill out rivets to open the frame enough, but it'd be worth it. From the pix, it looks like a rectangular piece was fit in with shims of some sort.
I actually have the rock guard that blew out. It's still in good condition. I'm just wondering how the rock guard was attached to the aluminum frame from the factory. And how other people have attached their rock guards to the frame.

My thought was to buy some small aluminum angle (3/8" maybe). I could cut it to fit the 4 sides of the frame and them drive some sheet metal screws through the inside of the frame to push the angle. This would make a press fit to hold the rock guard to the frame.

All other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not sure, but maybe pix of my rock guard will give you ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
rock cover 1.jpg   Rock cover 2.jpg  

Rock cover 3.jpg  
Old 03-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #7

Illinois
Glenn, Your inside frame looks just like mine, but the outside is different. It looks like your rock guard mounts outside the channel of the inside frame and something else holds it against the aluminum frame. I only have the inside frame and the rock guard panel - and some plastic trim inside the frame. I must be missing some of the original hardware.

I think that doing a press fit to the outside of the channel like yours will be much better than my thought about doing the press fit to the inside of the channel. I'll have to re-think my plans.

Any other pictures and ideas would be great. If there is anybody in the Peoria, IL area who would like to show me their rock guard, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
George
Old 03-07-2019, 05:02 AM   #8

Illinois
Here are pictures of the piece that blew off. It looks like it was tucked inside the aluminum frame. I think the black line around the outside is where it touched the outside of the frame. It only tucked about 1/4 inch under the frame on top.

It looks like other rock guards are attached to the outside of the aluminum frame and some trim goes around the frame. I'm not sure how to make something that goes around the frame like that - especially around the curved corners. Also, I wonder if my rock guard is too small. It looks like it should be a little bigger or it may blow out again. I'd like to re-use it because it looks cool. But I'll replace it if I have to.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0410 (1).jpg   IMG_0412 (1).jpg  

Old 03-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #9

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Certainly different looking than my own. Mine has a fitting to lock it in place.

Pic 1

Looked for other pictures but I'm not seeing any. If you need, I can try getting closer pictures of the guard this weekend.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #10

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Is it too thin to fill the slot in the aluminum channel? Thus the plastic shim? you could glue it to a thicker piece of (better fitting) acrylic or Lexan, but it'd be heavier. You may have to bite the bullet and use a new piece for a good fit...you can have new decals made by a sign shop or who ever deals with vinyl lettering/decals. There's info on the forum for that if you search.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
use PL to sick it to the frame(inside the track), then suitable plastic or nylon shims to put force against it, glue the shims in as well. My local home hardware sells plastic shim kits

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #12

Illinois
You guys keep giving me ideas. I love this site. Now I'm thinking about putting it inside the frame like it was before. But I'd glue it with construction adhesive - something for plastic and aluminum, and give it a better press fit inside the channel. For the press fit, I'm thinking about getting some stock aluminum, and driving screws in from the front.

It looks like there are many ways of attaching the rock guard. I guess that whatever holds it in place will work.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Hey George,

Happy to hear the floor is done!
The rock guard material is a plastic tub surround from Menards. It was put in the same way as the old one was. I would do it the same way but would use a silicon adhesive as well as the press fit. Maybe even a stainless screw here and there?
Must have been a hell of a wind!
Good luck.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #14

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro Bill View Post
Hey George,

Happy to hear the floor is done!
The rock guard material is a plastic tub surround from Menards. It was put in the same way as the old one was. I would do it the same way but would use a silicon adhesive as well as the press fit. Maybe even a stainless screw here and there?
Must have been a hell of a wind!
Good luck.
Good to hear from you Bill. I finally decided to go the belt and suspenders route on this one. I'm going to put some new screws in from the front side. They'll go through some thin aluminum flat stock on the back side of the rock guard. That will give it a good press fit. I'll use the adhesive too.

I got some good weather to work on the Burro outside this week. It enabled me to put the interior back together. I didn't change anything you did there. I still have to add some Velcro to the cushions and re-install the water container. But it's almost ready to go.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #15

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
I can't remember a February as
bad as this! Your idea sounds
really good that thing should
never come out! I'm surprised
it came out in the first place I
never had an issue with it.
At least you should have her