Burro windows... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #1

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Burro windows...

Hi everyone,

Well, the Burro restoration continues (I'll try for some pix once there's anything to show - I've mainly been cleaning and de-siliconing!) and now I'm at an impasse about windows.

Motion Windows here in Vancouver, WA can make great replacements, but at a high cost. My originals are basically crusty old frames with plexiglas in them that looks like the PO nibbled the radiuses with a pair of pliers - seriously! - and then used several tubes of clear silicone on them in an attempt to keep low-flying birds out (it certainly didn't keep water out).

So I have questions:

1) how is ventilation if the front & rear windows are fixed?
2) has anyone installed glass or acrylic vented windows in the front/rear without having an issue with the slight bow to the front & back of the shell?

I can have vented tempered glass windows made (all 5) and installed for $1850, but ouch! So my alternative is to spend maybe $150 and replace all the plex in the existing windows - although the front & rear would require a lot of work just cleaning the frames.

All thoughts welcome!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #2

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Fixing up my crusty old frames was an exercise in frustration. I saved my pennies and have sprung for all new custom Hehr windows. I did vented style for the flat surfaces, and am doing sliders for front and back.

I'm installing them next week and expect to do some MacGyvering to get flat windows affixed to contoured surfaces (after extensive convos with window places, it seemed like finding horizontally contoured windows was going to be like finding the gold at the end of the rainbow).

My other thought is that $1850 for new windows all around and installed is a pretty solid deal!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #3

Oregon
Yes, I'm sure in the middle of cleaning the old ones, I'd gladly pay someone twice that to get out of the work!

One RV guy told me the fiberglass would 'suck up to the frame' as it was tightened, but I'm not so sure...although there would surely be a little give on the window frame's part too, so maybe it will work. Keep us posted so I can learn from your mistakes!

Are you getting glass windows, or plexiglas?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #4

Oregon
New windows being installed in two weeks! So today i was fiberglassing holes... PO made way too many - even drilling through both shells to hang curtains!!!) and gelcoating cracks and such. Should be done with that tomorrow.

My new windows will be double-sliders front & back, side sliders, and vertical slider on the door. All low-E bronze glass, with deep frame that have excellent drainage slots.

Can't wait!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
For new custom made windows you need to check out the window supplier that Robert [Higginra] used for replacement clamp ring type windows for his Uhaul. Less than $150 each I believe, a much better price than any I could find. Burro & Uhaul are similar, but I don't know about the window opening size. I installed a Scamp rear window in our Uhaul by slightly widening the opening, about 1/2" on each side.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
For new custom made windows you need to check out the window supplier that Robert [Higginra] used for replacement clamp ring type windows for his Uhaul. Less than $150 each I believe, a much better price than any I could find. .........
That source that Robert found was : Teardrop Trailer Parts
Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #7

Oregon
Thanks, but I already paid for my new windows. More than I wanted to spend, but these guys are good - they make OEM windows for trailer companies but also windows for North Slope oil rigs, maritime stuff, etc. Very well made, installed, and just 10 miles from home. Confident they won't leak, and they will all vent.
Campervan Windows, Series 1500 Windows | Motionwindows.Com
Old 07-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #8

Name: Tammy
Trailer: 19' Escape
Washington
Thanks for the info on In Motion windows. We are from Olympia and contacted them about replacement front and back windows for our Scamp. We went down today with the trailer today to get a quote and we think we saw your Burro there with its beautiful new windows. So glad we got to see the great workmanship on yours. We ordered ours and what a great company they are to work with. They even replaced the screen material in one of our jalousie little windows for us! Thanks again!
TammyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #9

Oregon
Yes, that was my Burro! I showed up at 3:00pm Friday for installation - my phone calendar told me 3:00pm, although later I found it was a default time setting, and I was supposed to have brought it by at 8:00am and leave it all day! But they tried anyway - George was great, almost suffering heat stroke installing all but the front window in less than an hour...they close at 4:00, so I had to return Monday to have them finish. Great work, and the window quality is perfect.

I'm now ready to plow ahead on the exterior finish! I'll post pix if I can remember to take some...
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #10

Washington
My husband and I will look forward to the pics as you continue the renovation! He really liked the layout of your Burro. I am glad we got to see your windows because it really helped for me to know what it would look like finished. We originally thought we would do a single slider but after seeing yours, we decided to go with the same style openings that you did. The price is definitely worth the drive down. Our windows will be done at the beginning of August. Yay!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #11

Oregon
Yes, the double slider has the advantage of letting either of us sitting on either side of the dinettes have controlable ventilation...a single slider would be cause for battles in hot weather!

I'm reconditioning my front window gravel shield too - having a venting window in front without one makes me think maybe driving in the rain could allow some leakage. Besides, it keeps the bug splatter off and makes a good sun awning. Does your scamp have one?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #12

Washington
We do not have a gravel shield on our Scamp. I know that this may cause a problem for us with the glass but we are hoping it will be o.k. The glass people said that they could do tempered glass if it is a problem.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #13

Name: Jessica
Trailer: Burro
Washington
I really don't want to break what isn't broken, but 3 of the windows leak, and I want to get to fixing the problem.
Should I remove the windows and frames, and see if I can find a gasket material, to help seal it back up, or if I should just remove all the old crusty caulking, and re-caulk?...is there any advise out here for me?
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I really don't want to break what isn't broken, but 3 of the windows leak, and I want to get to fixing the problem.
Should I remove the windows and frames, and see if I can find a gasket material, to help seal it back up, or if I should just remove all the old crusty caulking, and re-caulk?...is there any advise out here for me?
Welcome, Jessica. You would do well to start a new thread, explain your problem and attach a picture or two. We can help you fix those leaks.

Tags
burro, windows