Burro wiring issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
A month ago I took my Burro on a trip from Oklahoma to Michigan and back. Before leaving I checked my exterior lights and all was well. Upon return I discovered that I now have no taillights/running lights and no turn signals... only the brake pedal lights up the rear bulbs, and that seems dimmer than it should be. I have no idea how to proceed with testing or fixing this. Any ideas or suggestions? Or is this a job for a pro shop?

I doubt it's related, but I'll mention that I also lost my 12v water pump. On the last evening of the trip I was out walking in the state park, and when I got back to the trailer I discovered the water pump on by itself! It was still spitting a bit of water from the (now empty) 5 gallon tank. I turned it off and noticed that the metal around the toggle switch was pretty warm, so it must have been going a while. The pump still worked, I added water and it was ok the next morning. But a couple days after getting home I went in and tried it and got nothing... and the trailer battery was quite run down... so I think it turned itself on again and ran so long it burned up. I just mention it in case someone might say, "Aha, I see a link!" ... even though I cannot.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Could be as simple as a dirty connection where your trailer plugs into your tow vehicle. I've had success with this problem by spraying WD40 into the connections, letting it drip dry and then plugging it back in.

You may have only blown the fuse on your 12 volt panel for your pump.

If its a newer Shurflo pump, I believe it is designed to withstand periods of being run dry. If so, it still may be OK.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
A month ago I took my Burro on a trip from Oklahoma to Michigan and back. Before leaving I checked my exterior lights and all was well. Upon return I discovered that I now have no taillights/running lights and no turn signals... only the brake pedal lights up the rear bulbs, and that seems dimmer than it should be. I have no idea how to proceed with testing or fixing this. Any ideas or suggestions? Or is this a job for a pro shop?

I doubt it's related, but I'll mention that I also lost my 12v water pump. On the last evening of the trip I was out walking in the state park, and when I got back to the trailer I discovered the water pump on by itself! It was still spitting a bit of water from the (now empty) 5 gallon tank. I turned it off and noticed that the metal around the toggle switch was pretty warm, so it must have been going a while. The pump still worked, I added water and it was ok the next morning. But a couple days after getting home I went in and tried it and got nothing... and the trailer battery was quite run down... so I think it turned itself on again and ran so long it burned up. I just mention it in case someone might say, "Aha, I see a link!" ... even though I cannot.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike; feel free to contact me if you would like. I may be able to help with some details of the system .
I can tell you that your trailer has a stock and Isolated taillight system which runs down the port wall.
Also the water pump is wired without any contact with the taillight system. My guess is that the switch at the sink shorted out possibly getting wet or maybe just broke? At any rate, the pump is still available from JC Whitney, but the Faucet /switch combo has been discontinued.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro