but what if its hot & sticky while boondocking? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
campgrounds at the shore?
What- New Jersey doesn't have them anymore???

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Before you run out and buy a generator I would suggest you give the Fantastic Fan a chance to see how well it does. I use to carry a portable window ac for the hot august nights but since putting in the Fantastic Fan I have stopped carrying it even when not camping on the coast. I dont know where your fan is located - mine is directly over the bed so I find I actually need to turn the fan right down at night even if the day has been in the high 90's to low 100's. Normally end up shutting it right off at some point in the night.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #17

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I agree that you should just try using what you have before purchasing a generator. We don't have air conditioning in our 13' Scamp, but we got by with our Fantastic Fan in the kitchen (not over the bed) this past hot July and August, traveling 9,000 miles from Arizona to Michigan, to Colorado, to Las Vegas Nv (staying in doors with friends on that 100+ degree night) then up the west coast to to Canada, over to northern Idaho, then back to Arizona. Other than the one night in Las Vegas out of 62 nights, we were able to stay cool enough with just the fan (especially if the camp ground had a pool to dip into just before bed).
We have a 12 volt 134a compressor type refrigerator, and run off a 100 watt solar panel, with one 12volt battery. We rarely used 110 volt electricity at the rv parks because many gave us very good discounts by not needing to be hooked up to anything. We just used their showers.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #18

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Don't go camping if it's going to be "hot and sticky." We are fair-weather campers and generally only go if the daytime highs are predicted to be between about 60 and 85 degrees.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If you're worried about sleeping when it's hot and sticky, typically running the generator at night will not help unless you're really off the beaten track. Few places allow the night time running of generators.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #20

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Nah, I will go out in any weather cept snowey icey just cause I love my health, rav4, and ParkLiner lol

I have a heater so I can camp in the cold, and have an airconditioner for sleeping when its way to hot and humid out! During the day I have no problem staying in the shade and drinking lots of fluids but when the day is done, I want to take a quick shower to wash the grime off of me and sleep like a babey in my nice cool caravan(hopefully not alone)!

deryk
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Norm, 4 of the places I go to alot are private property(in fact 1 of the places they use a generator to power their house...so they aren't gonna complain lol) that friends in our gang own, so thats not an issue....I have no problem parking the caravan further off from everyone else and putting the generator on the opposite side of the trailer further away...

Im hopeing that it wouldn't be needed often, but if the situation presents itself and its just too hot then why not?

deryk
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #22

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
I'm hoping that it wouldn't be needed often, but if the situation presents itself and its just too hot then why not?

deryk
I agree, if no one is around that cares, have at it.

My problem is in campgrounds when I want to sit outside and enjoy the sounds of nature and maybe a campfire, and the guy next door is inside with the TV and AC running off a generator. Kinda ruins it for everyone else and the neighbor with the generator might as well be at home.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Deryk,

I've had my Scamp for 12 years and have run both the A/C and generator very little. Having said that, I've been happy to have had them on several occasions.

I could really do without either one but I choose not to, so I carry them around with me.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Don't go camping if it's going to be "hot and sticky." We are fair-weather campers and generally only go if the daytime highs are predicted to be between about 60 and 85 degrees.
Really Ray?? Gezzzz 85 and up is when I love camping the most! That's when most of the fun stuff happens.... that is if I forget for a minute or two the on going fight with the fridge to keep it cool ;-) It might mean an outdoor movie night and more often than not a trip to the nearest dollar store to outfit everyone with their own water gun - let the games begin! & those two events dont require children around to happen. I carry items in my trailer all year round just waiting for such days - a wet suite and boogie board if near the ocean and have an inflatable inner tube and the means to fill it, stuffed in a back hatch - just waiting for the perfect hot day to spend floating down the nearest river! Some of the best camping memories/adventures have been the result of a hot summer day.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
So far, I have dealt with this problem by heading north or to higher elevations, or if I just can't get around it, I'll spring for an electric hookup campsite. I haven't been sanguine about buying a generator and carrying a gas can... but maybe one of these days I'll change my mind.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #26

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...but have seen mods for converting a Honda to run on propane too...I have 2 propane cylinders so would be nice to not have to carry gasoline....anyone using anything like this?
I am so glad you asked! While I have not done so personally, I have camped next to a Casita who has, and I am saving my pennies to get one that has been converted to propane. Alas if you consider the eu2000i itself expensive, converting one to propane is even more expensive.

The payoff is that from my experience the propane version is even quieter than the gasoline version! That in addition to not needing a separate fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
EU2000-Cylinder.JPG  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Alas if you consider the eu2000i itself expensive, converting one to propane is even more expensive..
I will bite. What would one expect to pay for the conversion?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #28

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I am in STL where the summer gets very nasty and yet I have only suffered through a few nights when I had no way to power an AC unit.

My solution is 2 Fantastic Fans. I have the one mounted in the trailer ceiling of course and I also have the Endless Breeze box fan which is the same basic fan as the mounted one but is portable.

I can rig the portable with bungee cords to aim directly at me on the bed and once the trailer has enough air moving it is not that bad even in the 90's with 100% Humidity which is the summer norm here.

Its not the same as having Air but it beats doing nothing for sure.

Otherwise,what the heck are you thinking? Don't camp that time of year without power! Simple.

Tags
boondocking