but what if its hot & sticky while boondocking? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #29
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Some articles say 10% power loss, some warn of valve seat issues. Dunno, this guy liked it:
Propane Powered Generator – Honda EU2000i + Propane Conversion Kit | Technomadia

UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #30
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

Our camping style is certainly different than yours. We generally seek milder climates.

We live in a section of the country where it rarely gets too warm or humid, since we live near the ocean where the water rarely if ever reaches 70F though we do sometimes get a week where day time temperaatures exceed 90F.

On occasion we do carry a generator, mostly when we're going far out like it seems you do making a generator a perfectly fine, non-intrusive solution and a fine backup. Maybe we'll take it to Newfoundland with us this spring.

We have a rather small air conditioner (5000 btu/ 5 amp) and I've always wondered if our 1200 watt generator would start it... a test for this summer.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #31
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
for $175 i can get a new carburetor for a Honda 2000 eu (or whatever it is lol) swap the new propane ready carb and send back your new unused one(or pay an extra 100 to keep it...might keep it as a backup) and a propane hose with regulator and your good to go. I hear the propane runs cleaner... people have been doing it for several years... i read on a casita site the first guy who did it was i think 5 years ago and still running strong.... so for $1200 dollars its not horrible.

Norm...you "might" be able to do it...I read someone was able to do it with a honda 1000 by turning eco on, then the fan on let it run for a minute or so and then switched to low cool.... just remember when the compressor kicks on its useing prolly close to the 1000 watts...its why i wanna go with a 2000 model.

deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #32
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I will bite. What would one expect to pay for the conversion?
According to the article that Thomas G. referred to a pre-converted Honda EU2000i was $1269 + shipping in 2009.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #33
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Word to the wise, Deryk:

Before you commit yourself and your comfort expectations to a generator-powered air conditioner, I recommend that you borrow such a genset and listen to its noise when running your air conditioner. Those rpm's do increase the annoying-sound factor considerably!

You may decide that a little wilting is preferable...

Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #34
Name: Dick
Trailer: Escape
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
propane generator

Wise Sales will sell you a Yamaha 2400 already converted to tri-fuel. They will also sell you the kit to convert the Honda 2000 to propane. A good small engine guy (lady?) can do the conversion in about 2 hours.

Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #35
Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')

My solution to the "hot and sticky" situation is two Maxx fans. I mounted one over the bed and the other in front just outside the bathroom. I set the one over the bed to draw air in and the other to push air out. Even set on the lowest settings I haven't had any trouble staying cool, even in eastern Kansas, Missouri and Illinois with temps and humidity both in the upper 90s. The Maxx fans draw very little current on low (about 400mA) so no real load on the battery and you can set the internal thermostats to shut them off when the temp drops later in the evening.

I had plans to install an air conditioner in the EggCamper but after 5 years I still haven't found that round tuit. Maybe some day.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #36
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
but what if its hot & sticky while boondocking?

I'm with Joy... drink more beer

Actually, I've done pretty well with a wet wash cloth and a fan.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote