but what if its hot & sticky while boondocking? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Norm, 4 of the places I go to alot are private property(in fact 1 of the places they use a generator to power their house...so they aren't gonna complain lol) that friends in our gang own, so thats not an issue....I have no problem parking the caravan further off from everyone else and putting the generator on the opposite side of the trailer further away...

Im hopeing that it wouldn't be needed often, but if the situation presents itself and its just too hot then why not?

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I'm hoping that it wouldn't be needed often, but if the situation presents itself and its just too hot then why not?

deryk
I agree, if no one is around that cares, have at it.

My problem is in campgrounds when I want to sit outside and enjoy the sounds of nature and maybe a campfire, and the guy next door is inside with the TV and AC running off a generator. Kinda ruins it for everyone else and the neighbor with the generator might as well be at home.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Deryk,

I've had my Scamp for 12 years and have run both the A/C and generator very little. Having said that, I've been happy to have had them on several occasions.

I could really do without either one but I choose not to, so I carry them around with me.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Don't go camping if it's going to be "hot and sticky." We are fair-weather campers and generally only go if the daytime highs are predicted to be between about 60 and 85 degrees.
Really Ray?? Gezzzz 85 and up is when I love camping the most! That's when most of the fun stuff happens.... that is if I forget for a minute or two the on going fight with the fridge to keep it cool ;-) It might mean an outdoor movie night and more often than not a trip to the nearest dollar store to outfit everyone with their own water gun - let the games begin! & those two events dont require children around to happen. I carry items in my trailer all year round just waiting for such days - a wet suite and boogie board if near the ocean and have an inflatable inner tube and the means to fill it, stuffed in a back hatch - just waiting for the perfect hot day to spend floating down the nearest river! Some of the best camping memories/adventures have been the result of a hot summer day.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #25

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
So far, I have dealt with this problem by heading north or to higher elevations, or if I just can't get around it, I'll spring for an electric hookup campsite. I haven't been sanguine about buying a generator and carrying a gas can... but maybe one of these days I'll change my mind.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #26

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
...but have seen mods for converting a Honda to run on propane too...I have 2 propane cylinders so would be nice to not have to carry gasoline....anyone using anything like this?
I am so glad you asked! While I have not done so personally, I have camped next to a Casita who has, and I am saving my pennies to get one that has been converted to propane. Alas if you consider the eu2000i itself expensive, converting one to propane is even more expensive.

The payoff is that from my experience the propane version is even quieter than the gasoline version! That in addition to not needing a separate fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
EU2000-Cylinder.JPG  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Alas if you consider the eu2000i itself expensive, converting one to propane is even more expensive..
I will bite. What would one expect to pay for the conversion?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #28

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am in STL where the summer gets very nasty and yet I have only suffered through a few nights when I had no way to power an AC unit.

My solution is 2 Fantastic Fans. I have the one mounted in the trailer ceiling of course and I also have the Endless Breeze box fan which is the same basic fan as the mounted one but is portable.

I can rig the portable with bungee cords to aim directly at me on the bed and once the trailer has enough air moving it is not that bad even in the 90's with 100% Humidity which is the summer norm here.

Its not the same as having Air but it beats doing nothing for sure.

Otherwise,what the heck are you thinking? Don't camp that time of year without power! Simple.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Some articles say 10% power loss, some warn of valve seat issues. Dunno, this guy liked it:
Propane Powered Generator – Honda EU2000i + Propane Conversion Kit | Technomadia
Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Derek,

Our camping style is certainly different than yours. We generally seek milder climates.

We live in a section of the country where it rarely gets too warm or humid, since we live near the ocean where the water rarely if ever reaches 70F though we do sometimes get a week where day time temperaatures exceed 90F.

On occasion we do carry a generator, mostly when we're going far out like it seems you do making a generator a perfectly fine, non-intrusive solution and a fine backup. Maybe we'll take it to Newfoundland with us this spring.

We have a rather small air conditioner (5000 btu/ 5 amp) and I've always wondered if our 1200 watt generator would start it... a test for this summer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #31

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
for $175 i can get a new carburetor for a Honda 2000 eu (or whatever it is lol) swap the new propane ready carb and send back your new unused one(or pay an extra 100 to keep it...might keep it as a backup) and a propane hose with regulator and your good to go. I hear the propane runs cleaner... people have been doing it for several years... i read on a casita site the first guy who did it was i think 5 years ago and still running strong.... so for $1200 dollars its not horrible.

Norm...you "might" be able to do it...I read someone was able to do it with a honda 1000 by turning eco on, then the fan on let it run for a minute or so and then switched to low cool.... just remember when the compressor kicks on its useing prolly close to the 1000 watts...its why i wanna go with a 2000 model.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #32

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I will bite. What would one expect to pay for the conversion?
According to the article that Thomas G. referred to a pre-converted Honda EU2000i was $1269 + shipping in 2009.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Word to the wise, Deryk:

Before you commit yourself and your comfort expectations to a generator-powered air conditioner, I recommend that you borrow such a genset and listen to its noise when running your air conditioner. Those rpm's do increase the annoying-sound factor considerably!

You may decide that a little wilting is preferable...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
propane generator

Wise Sales will sell you a Yamaha 2400 already converted to tri-fuel. They will also sell you the kit to convert the Honda 2000 to propane. A good small engine guy (lady?) can do the conversion in about 2 hours.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #35

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Deryk

My solution to the "hot and sticky" situation is two Maxx fans. I mounted one over the bed and the other in front just outside the bathroom. I set the one over the bed to draw air in and the other to push air out. Even set on the lowest settings I haven't had any trouble staying cool, even in eastern Kansas, Missouri and Illinois with temps and humidity both in the upper 90s. The Maxx fans draw very little current on low (about 400mA) so no real load on the battery and you can set the internal thermostats to shut them off when the temp drops later in the evening.

I had plans to install an air conditioner in the EggCamper but after 5 years I still haven't found that round tuit. Maybe some day.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
but what if its hot & sticky while boondocking?

I'm with Joy... drink more beer

Actually, I've done pretty well with a wet wash cloth and a fan.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking