Butyl tape - HOW TO APPLY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I have bought the butyl tape to re-do the windows in my 74 trillium - I iwll be diving in on the job tomorrow -
I will pull the windows and clean up the window frames etc (maybe replace if rotten) and repalce the screws with stainless...

do I apply the buytl to the back of the window frame, or to the fiberglass and then screw through it?

Which method to use?

thanks

Barry
Barry Konkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I don't know if there is a predetermined way to add the chalking but IMHO: if you add it to the window frame and have to redo it at some later date, the mess is on the window which is easier to work with off the trailer and on a bench! Having said that, I also do not know if this tape is sticky both sides or not, seeing as how I've never used it.....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Doug, it is double sided and very odd to work with. When attaching a porch light I battled with it quite a bit - it's like stiff gum once the tape sides are removed and you want to make sure you cut it clean.

Barry, found this pdf on installing on house windows. Looks like applying it to the frame first using setting blocks to hold it off the frame until aligned is what they recommend:
http://www.eaglesealants.com/_mndata/eagle...nstructions.pdf

Edit: here is an RV specific short article - they recommend apply to window, not rv.
http://www.rvtechtips.com/?cat=16
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I removed the Air Conditioner this summer and sealed it with this stuff when i re-installed it.

It is extremely sticky on both sides when you apply it. I applied it to the fiberglass and then lowered the AC on top of it.

You will need to make sure the screw holes line up with the frame and fiberglass so it may be easier put it on the frame then screw it down to the fiberglass.

When you screw the frame to the fiberglass, it will Oz out the sides of the frame. If you leave that for a couple of days then use a razor knife to trim down the sides of the frame, it comes off rather well. Do it to soon and it's like trimming bubblegum.

I think the secret of this stuff is that it fills all voids, remains somewhat soft and does an extremely good job at sealing out the water.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The wonder of the butyl is it stays reasonably soft and pliable. I removed the window in the door of my Scamp and didnt' have any problems with getting the old stuff off and then applying new. I used a plastic knife to remove the excess. Easy to do and won't scar the gelcoat.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I am very glad this topic came up, we are about to instal a vent fan in the roof soon. Does anyone know how long the tape has to set up before it can be in the rain?

Thanks for the posting and the info!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I am very glad this topic came up, we are about to instal a vent fan in the roof soon. Does anyone know how long the tape has to set up before it can be in the rain?

Thanks for the posting and the info!
I'd think almost immediately, it's not like it has to skim over or dry in any way. Be sure to read this great topic, it's almost a tutorial! Butyl Tape, Silicone and sealing, Split topic
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Which method to use?

Barry
Hi Barry, after doing two windows and the roof vent, I would without hesitation recommend applying to the frame first. It is maybe a little more tricky holding and placing the window, but it prevents "missing" the spot on the window frame where you want your best seal.

My front window frame was rotten, after I got the window out I knew why, when they applied the original putty tape at the factory, when they applied it they didn't get it out to the outside edges of the frame. The tape was so close to the inside of the frame, it missed the fiberglass completely, and left some of the wooden frame exposed to 32 years of water.

Make sure to get the tape out to the edge of the frame so you get a good seal to the fiberglass to keep the water away from the wood.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
April,

I just traded out the old fan for a new Fantastic Fan. The factory installed fan had butyl tape between the fan and the roof, then caulking all the way around.

I did the same. I put the butyl tape on the fan and with a couple of rivets through the holes and tape I was able to line up with the holes on the trailer. After putting all the 26 or 28 rivets in, I put a dobble of caulk on each rivet and then ran a nice little bead all the way around the edge of the fan to the trailer.

The butyl tape I purchased is about 1/2 inch wide, the flange on the fan was more like 1 inch so the tape didn't ooze out.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #10

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
I did three of the four windows in my Surf Side this year. I applied the Butly tape to the aluminum window frame . Someone pointed out in an earlier post that there are different widths of tape. I think I used 1" and I applied it so it was tight to the inside edge of the flange with the screw holes. Maybe it was a bit too wide, but the only result was that quite a bit squished out when I tightened the new screws. Maybe 3/4" would have been wide enough. I used stainless steel screws as I did a few years ago when I did the first window. Butyl tape works really well for windows and for the Fantastic Fan I installed on the roof. Another tip is that if window winders are at all iffy this is often an easier time to change them than when the window is installed.
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #11

Name: Karen
Trailer: Burro
Georgia
Hi, haven't taken the time to introduce myself yet because i've been too busy following these super helpful threads. I have a question about windows...I understand the whole butyl putty tape thing but when I purchased the Burro the previous owner recommended or at least he was planing to redo the windows before he decided to sell with...1/8" glass glazing bead... has anyone here does done such a thing or can share some information about it with me? Karen
pot roast n kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Hi Karen,

Welcome to the forum! (You might want to introduce yourself and your camper by starting a new thread.) Anyway, to answer your question, its possible the previous owner was referring to the Hehr 1/8" glazing seal as described in the link below. It is pressed in around each window pane.

Pelland Enterprises Motor Home Products - Pelland Enterprises

John

EDIT: Looks like you did create an intro thread. Great!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I found that freezing the butyl roll of tape before using

makes it less sticky to handle.It is a lot easier to work with when cold.
Put it on the window flange.

Also, the 1 inch wide butyl tape is thicker than 3/4 inch butyl tape.
The excess oozes out as the SS screws are tightened and comes off easily
with a plastic putty knife. Better too much butyl to fill all the voids

than too little butyl.
J. Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
On curved walls there may be an advantage to having a chilled rolled out second piece laid over the main one to make the tape thicker at the curve edges. Especially top corners.

Good idea to check fit before putting on butyl tape and attaching. Look to see if when window frame is pushed firmly into the opening are there places that have more gap. On my Scamp it is top corners of front window and one side window again near the top where the walls curve in as well as start curving to make the rounded corners.

The wall on mine has a bit more curve than the aluminum frame. A second thin layer of tape over the one going all the way around at those corners gives "squish out" all the way around indicating a tight seal. No extra means not enough at the corners to squish out.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #15

Georgia
hey John,
that's exactly the stuff he mentioned. Have you or anyone else used this? is it difficult to install? it seems a cheaper alternative to new windows? and one still needs to use the butyl putty tape regardless because this is making a seal around the glass versus the camper itself no? BTW with further inspection on the burro it seems previous owner/s used copious amounts of silicone... can its removal be facilitated with a with a heat gun? or is a heat gun too much heat for the fiberglass?
K

answer to glass seal question : apparently according to product website the glazing vinyl is merely cosmetic.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #16

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Karen, you can buy this stuff: McKanica Silicone Caulk Remover. It is stuff that you put on the silicone, leave it for a while and then remove. It works pretty good. If the silicone is really thick, you may need to apply it twice. I used a plastic razor blade that you can get in the paint department to remove the residue.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #17

Georgia
thanks Alex, sounds great!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pot roast n kisses View Post
hey John,
that's exactly the stuff he mentioned. Have you or anyone else used this? is it difficult to install? it seems a cheaper alternative to new windows? and one still needs to use the butyl putty tape regardless because this is making a seal around the glass versus the camper itself no? BTW with further inspection on the burro it seems previous owner/s used copious amounts of silicone... can its removal be facilitated with a with a heat gun? or is a heat gun too much heat for the fiberglass?
K

answer to glass seal question : apparently according to product website the glazing vinyl is merely cosmetic.
Karen,

- Regarding the Hehr 1/8" glazing seal (vinyl or rubber window "gasket"): I recently bought 70 feet of this product to replace all the 40 year old glazing seals on our Boler 17. Its not hard to install, much easier if the temp is at least 60 to 70 degrees. Try to compress it while pushing it in. That way shrinkage will be minimized. New windows shouldn't be necessary. The glass panes are mounted and sealed onto either 1/4" butyl tape or foam tape or whatever professionals use, THEN the 1/8" glazing seal is inserted. The 1/8" glazing seal is not water tight, but it holds the glass in, keeps crud out, and it provides a finished appearance to the window.

- Of course butyl tape still needs to be applied on the backside of the window flange before inserting the window assembly back into the window opening in the fiberglass body. Generally then stainless steel screws are used to hold the window in place.

John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote