Butyl tape - putty tape? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Butyl tape - putty tape?

I'm about to remove and reseal my back window and bought a roll of butyl tape - 3/4". In doing some reading I see some have used putty tape - 1" a little wrinkley and I think I read somewhere that it is butyl putty tape. Just want to double check and make sure I'm using the right stuff with the 3/4" butyl tape. I'd like to do it right and not have to do it over again! Thanks - the newbie repair student!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Butyl is what you want, it is called putty tape in certain locations. I think they may all be the same product.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Take a small piece between your fingers and stretch it until it breaks. Butyl will stretch out hair fine before it breaks. Putty breaks into a rough end. You want butyl.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Tom's test is the best test for the real McCoy and that ain't tomfoolery. Appearance and color are not reliable clues.

Suppliers sometimes either don't have a clue or will ship you whatever item they're stocking and call it either putty tape or butyl tape interchangeably. Butyl in the name is not a guarantee of butyl in the tape. A lot like chicken vegetable soup. When you find the genuine article, hang on to the name and contact info of your supplier.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Mine stretches out before it breaks! Looks like I got the right stuff. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On my 1987 scamp 13 resealing the rear window, scamp greatly overcut the hole and made it easier for there to be a leak. I had to use a double layer of Butyl tape in the corners to get good squeeze out. I also had to make sure someone was pushing the window up while tightening the clamp ring in place. The factory installation with the foam tape seal will not hold the window in place once you get the screws and trim ring out so have some help. Before taking the window out get some masking tape and tape the fiberglass close to the window. Then after you cut off the squeezed out Buytl removing the tape gives you a clean line. Dont try to remove the excess buytl when its hot out or in the sun or all you get is gum on the shoe syndrome. Cut it loose and remove while its cold in the morning.
My Scamp has Hehr slider windows and their foam seal they used was a joke for seal on such a nice window. I also had issue with some of the screws rusting in place after 25 years and making them hard to remove partially stripping the heads, screwing those back in would make removing them later impossible. I recomend going to the local RV parts supplier and getting some extra screws. They usually have them out back in their repair shop. Take an old screw with you so they know what your looking for. They are cheap insurance compaired to the frustration they can cause you. Resealing the newer windows are a piece of cake you just need to have 2 people if the windows haven't been resealed with putty before.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This question comes up from time to time. Not too long ago a rather amusing 4 page thread was the result.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-54643.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #8

Delaware
I was a little surprised to hear that an operation with relatively high volume and a lot of years in business couldn't rationalize a task like ratting out a window opening to a template with a piloted router or drywall zipper but instead relied on one-off each time every time with a saber saw. I was not surprised to find this sort of irregular window opening from a trailer maker that failed four years after startup.

In my case, the bearing of flange and tape was reduced to 3/8" at the upper right because of the "generous" opening. Although I did not have an assistant to position the frame on reinstall, I placed small shims at the bottom opening to favor a slightly increased overlap at the top and slightly less at the bottom. Dampening both the tape and the circumference of the opening prevents adhesion until you're happy with position.

Nothing is as as simple as we hope it will be. Every situation requires a bit of thought and bit of prep and a bit of rehearsal.

jack
Old 03-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
I removed all my windows and put in butyl tape and with an extra hand from the inside replacing the frame, I moved the outside frame to get it in place. It was somewhat difficult to find the correct placing of the outside window, but from posts that I have read AFTER installing my windows, I believed someone mentioned that they actually wet the butyl tape with water and this would make reinstaling a lot easier.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/jimmieddd/library/TOSHIBA/Bigfoot%20Reno#/user/jimmieddd/library/T
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

Delaware
Uh, tha, tha, that would be me in the post directly above yours.

jack
Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Uh, tha, tha, that would be me in the post directly above yours.

jack
Atta boy jack....how could I not see your post..sorry
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote