Butyl tape question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
I just tried stretching mine and it stretches but it isn't sticky. I thought butyl was sticky?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Not Butyl for sure.
Butyl has a Shiny smooth texture and if you even look at it will stick to stuff.
That roll is clearly the older style putty.
Ed if I told you it was bought last month from an auto shop and its sticks well and only comes off with its self and it streaches way out and when if does finally brake there are very thin fibers flying around & hanging from the ends would that change your mind on if?

I once picked up some grey stuff that had very different properties than this roll.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The stuff I bought about 3 weeks ago from Camping World looks very much like the first post... but, the putty is shiny... almost like chewing gum. Even when I pull it off the roll it stick to my fingers. I've used butyl before and that's how it responds... sticks to everything including stuff you don't want it to! But, it's easy to get off, fortunately.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #18

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Ed if I told you it was bought last month from an auto shop and its sticks well and only comes off with its self and it streaches way out and when if does finally brake there are very thin fibers flying around & hanging from the ends would that change your mind on if?

I once picked up some grey stuff that had very different properties than this roll.
Not Really,I can't afford to be wrong any more this year so I am taking no chances!

Also I never mentioned anything about the fibrous nature,that was someone else.

I have seen fresh putty that was stetchy and sticky but I have not seen butyl that was not shiny. Not conclusive but like I said I am taking no chances right now
Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #19

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I didn't use the word "fibrous" either. Fibrous is straw in bricks or milled fibers in resin. I did use the word filament as in I can really stretch this chewing gum into long filaments. Ed, you've sort of bulldogged this one so I yield the floor and the thread and the nomenclature and the qualifications and the visual vs. tactile recon to you, Sir.

jack
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I have seen fresh putty that was stetchy and sticky but I have not seen butyl that was not shiny. Not conclusive but like I said I am taking no chances right now
Thanks though for the info. The last stuff I had came from Camping World and I used it on my new roof vent install & replacing all outside fixtures with it over 4 years ago and no leaks so I am assuming it was the right stuff.

Then I purchased a roll that was grey and once I got it home I realized it didnt feel at all the same as the first stuff so I took it back and went searching for this roll..... I know it doesnt feel or act the same as the grey gunk and more like the Camping World roll, but the fact you sugggest it needs to be shiny makes be wonder about it and think i need to look for another before I use this one. Or maybe I should put some out someplace and wait to see if it goes hard? How long does it normally take to go hard?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I didn't use the word "fibrous" either. Fibrous is straw in bricks or milled fibers in resin. I did use the word filament as in I can really stretch this chewing gum into long filaments. Ed, you've sort of bulldogged this one so I yield the floor and the thread and the nomenclature and the qualifications and the visual vs. tactile recon to you, Sir.

jack
Jack sorry I switched filament to fiber as in sewing filament is common for very thin fibers.... but realize what you mean and how it applies to chewing gum as well.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #22

Delaware
No worries, Carol. I guess the important thing is that everyone be able to identify the genuine article.

jack
Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I asked for Butyl tape, I confirmed with RV store guy that it was Butyl tape and my bill says Butyl tape.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156 (600x800).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	51530
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Ok so here is the link to the stuff the Camping World sells and funny enough its grey and its doesnt appear to have a bit of a shiny .... hummm. Manufacturer of their stuff is : Dicor Corp - but if you go to thier website they call it Buytal Putty Tape and claim it to be non harding. But as we heard the real stuff should only be white or black how do we know what the heck we have....... confusing.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
and it gets 5 stars from LAMONTE MONNELL from WEEKI WACHEE, FL
How can you go wrong. Looks just like the stuff I bought.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #26

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Well if this doesn't help make everything clear as mud.....

Butyl Tape For All Applications-Find What You Need Fast!

Evidently it does come in many exciting colors and as Dylemma shows theirs is from Dicor who makes the best Lap Sealant I just don't know what to think now?

All I do know is what I have seen myself and I would want to feel that I had the real thing as the putty is just not as tenacious a sealant from my experience and will indeed dry out as I have seen when removing older puttied fixtures.

As a friend of mine often says "I now Plead and Drink the Fifth" on this one!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #27

Delaware
Didjaever think that it could be the proportions of something to something in something that determines the properties that are sought as desirable for a particular application? I think the key is butyl content. The five dollar vent tape kit from Camco is not "stretchy" compared to the stuff I used on my rear window. When I mention filaments I mean you can pull this stuff until you've got a "string" 18" long. The Camco stuff will break and leave little strings a 1/2" long.

The stuff I used on my rear window was 1) grey in color, 2) shiny in appearance, 3) stuck to fingers unless moistened, 4) squeezeout could be removed by "scoring" around flange with a plastic dinner knife and pulling off. 5) was not unmanageably sticky and didn't require a solvent to remove or the "self to self" removal described elsewhere, 5) excess was harder to remove after heating by the sun and tended to stretch into impossibly long filaments, 6) "bounced back" when squeezed (like a rubber ball).

I have also used the Camco tape previously. I found that: 1) squeezeout could be removed by method above but it didn't stretch and become more sticky with temperature increase, 2) had an oily feel, 3) a small ball could be elongated by rolling between the palms much like modeling clay, 4) DID NOT evidence the "rubbery" bounceback when squeezed.

I'm thinking from I've seen (not a great deal) and heard here that there are number of products that nominally fall in this category of butyl tape. Apparently some are a linseed based putty and the "butyl" is only in the label. It also appears that there are some automotive sealants for glazing that come on a roll and have a separator but are a bit too tenacious, difficult to work with and difficult to remove for our purpose (bedding thru-hulls, sealing window flanges).

I wish I could find the shipping label for the roll I bought in 2010 but I can't. To the best of my recollection, a 25' roll was nearly 30$. That could possibly be one indicator of quality and the stuff that's 6 bucks for a 25' roll likely is an oil-based putty which hardens over time. At C World, all bets are off as far as value for payment tendered. It really is sad that the world is full of stuff that's no good and stuff that's too good and some that's just right and it all has the same label!

jack
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #28

Missouri
What Jack Said!