Buying a trailer across the border? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #1

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
Buying a trailer across the border?

I'm interested in buying my first egg and wonder if there is as much difficulty getting them across the border as when you try to purchase automobiles in Canada and then try to get them across the border?

Del
papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #2

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
I bought a Big Foot in Canada and brought it back to US had no problem just have owners papers and bill a sale. Check with DMV from your state if more is needed but in our case
The State of AK did not. Good luck. Ken
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have only done it going from the US to Canada and it was not a big problem. Free trade has made it all easy - if the trailer was made in Canada or the US no duty either way. Check with the border & local state to be sure you get the correct paper work they want.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The only thing negative I've heard is it depends on the age of the trailer coming from Canada to the U.S. I understand this trailer is too "new" and could be problematic. Has anyone else heard this definitively. And if you could point to an authority, that would be extremely helpful.

New trailers directly from the manufacturer do not fall into this category.

Inquiring minds want to know...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #5

Registry
Donna it may be something like the situation going from the US to Canada. If the trailer is less than 16 years old it needs to be entered into what we call in Canada the RIV program - register of Imported Vehicles. You need to pay $195 at the border to have the trailer put into the program. They send you some paper work a few weeks later and you need to take it for a saftey inspection (another $50 or so) where they check that it has the correct DOT lights in the right places etc....... once that is done you can go and get your plates for it.

Just a cash grab as far as I can tell as if you show up with a trailer more than 16 years old you just pay the taxes on it and its all good - go get your plates for it - no one cares if it even has lights - go figure.....
Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If the trailer is 25 years or older no problem bringing in the trailer to US. If it is less than 25 yrs old you will need to find a broker to certify the propane system and the axles and brakes meet US safety standards. I know because I brought in a 73 Boler,and 88 Bigfoot. I brought in a new Escape Trailer with no problems. Escape is registered at the boarder and provides the correct paperwork for import.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #7

Registry
There was another thread awhile back here that covered this topic and pointed to a few good US websites that set out the rules.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
If the trailer is 25 years or older no problem bringing in the trailer to US. If it is less than 25 yrs old you will need to find a broker to certify the propane system and the axles and brakes meet US safety standards. I know because I brought in a 73 Boler,and 88 Bigfoot. I brought in a new Escape Trailer with no problems. Escape is registered at the boarder and provides the correct paperwork for import.
Chuck
LOL as suspected! Ok to tow around a trailer more than 25 years old in either county that has no working lights and a leaky propane system but not ok to do it with a newer one! Go figure.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Carol, since we know most "rules" about travel trailers usually deal with stickies and few stickies last 25 years before they melt, "they" probably don't think it's ever going to be a problem
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #10

Utah
ok here are more details...

Trailer is over 25 years old, has been sitting unused for a long time, seller has not registered the trailer.

The trailer is in Canada, I would like to bring it into the states.
Seller says he has all the model and serial numbers on the trailer and that he can give me a bill of sale.

I plan to spend some time packing bearings installing new tires and wiring up some tail lites before pulling the trailer home....after that it may take months for me to rebuild the gutted interior.....I do not believe I would be ready to register the trailer for months.

Plan B buy one that is already done and registered....lol!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
If it is not registered - he cannot prove he owns it! So if it is not registered, GOOD LUCK with getting a registration for it

Canada does not use a "title" system for vehicles. Registration is documentation of ownership. Selling a vehicle here (from one Canadian to another - at least in BC)) goes like this:

You buy it. I remove my license plates off it, and I fill in a form conveying ownership to you. That form, which is actually a part of my "previous" registration is what you take to the motor vehicle place to register it in your name and get YOUR plates issued for it. License plates belong to the OWNER, not to the car/truck/trailer

So - if it ain't registered, how is he going to convey (potentially non-existent) ownership to you?

All may not be lost, however.

HE can get a serial number search done, to track down the owner previous to him, and THAT person can convey "title" (ownership) to you.

However, since ownership cannot be proven, a bill of sale is really nice piece of paper for use as a .........?

Now- what documentation will your state require for you to register it when you get it there? What will US customs require you have to bring it into the US of A?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #12

Registry
Dave is correct I wouldnt touch the trailer without something to prove he owns it.

Surprised he never registered it because all trailers must have their own plates and separate insurance and that cant be done without registering it. So it would mean he never had the trailer on the road..... but if it was used by the previous owner then they must have given him the form/transfer papers Dave mentioned. If he did use it and has lost the paper work then it probable has his plate on it and he should be able to go in and get the correct transfer papers needed using his old plate number even if the insurance has long ago expired on those plates.

We in BC do have something that is pretty well the same thing that you in the USA call Free Title but we call it Title Registry.
For a small fee a search of the registry can be made to ensure that the property has not been previously pledged as security by the owner or previous owners and is currently free and clear of any encumbrances and liens prior to purchasing. The search can be done on
-individual debtor name
- serial number of motor vehicle, boat, outboard motor, trailer
- document registration number

You can do the search on line or in person or hire a title registry agent.

If the person selling the trailer has no paper work the least they could do is do the search for you and provide you with the record to show it is clear & as Dave suggested he should have to do the serial number search as well.......

To be honest I think the guy would have a hard time even selling it the way he is suggesting to someone in Canada without coming up with some proof that he actually owns the trailer and doing some of the paper work search etc himself..
Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #13

Registry
Del, it might help if you posted what Province the trailer is in and then post a new thread asking someone from that Province to tell you what paper work is normally used/needed in that Province to transfer ownership. Each Province is different, just like in the US what works in one state may not work in another.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #14

Utah
It's a $500 project.......starting to think plan B

I can afford about $3000

I think a good trailer in working order may be the way to go....I can then fix it up over time.

They seem to sell fast!!!!

Del
Old 04-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #15

Utah
Well we found a great 13' Burro in Colorado.....made a mini vacation out of picking it up.

Got to see Mesa Verde, Chimney Rock and Arches National Park.

I want to thank you for all the advise about Canadian registration issues.

I doubt I could have every been able to bring the other trailer home.