Buying a trailer in PA, but live in NJ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: In the market
New Jersey
Buying a trailer in PA, but live in NJ

Hi, we went to see a camper today and loved it. The problem is we live in NJ and the trailer is in PA (and not close to any NJ DMV). The owner is nervous about being burned and basically wants to have all the paperwork in order before we take it home (if we can make it happen).

Does anyone have any insight on this situation? Could we head to a PA DMV and sign over the title there and get some sort of temporary tag situation before going to a NJ DMV?

We are worried they will go with someone in-state if the process is too annoying. Which I understand. We will be calling our DMV tomorrow morning first thing but figured I would post here first! Thank you!!!
lisakmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
You are checking on the wrong end. You need to go to the local NJ DMV office and they will tell you what you need to title and register a trailer bought in PA. PA and NJ share a border, so it certainly is not unusual for someone to buy a vehicle or trailer in PA and bring it to NJ.

Every state tends to have its own rules. Best to just go to the NJ DMV and ask.

In my state, NC, the rules in the state I buy from apply (which might not be the case in NJ!). So I bought a truck in TN and a trailer in KY and yet another one in MI. In all three cases, those states rules applied but of course, I filed for titles and registration in NC. In all of these cases, the rules in TN, MI and TN were less onerous than the rules in NC. So it was actually EASIER to buy an out of state vehicle.

Since you are in the NE, I bet this will not be the case. For instance, my guess is you will need the seller's signature notarized. Best to know this up front, so you don't have to chase down the seller and a notary later! Again, NJ DMV will tell you what you need.

In no case did my out of state seller have to appear with me in NC. These sellers were as far as 650 miles away. But I took the appropriate NC forms with me, and filled them out with the seller at their home. You can get signatures notarized in PA. A trip to a bank is one good option.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
SEE: https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/trailer.htm
and
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles...le.htm#otherst

One thing they say is that you will need:

The title properly assigned (includes seller/buyer name and address and signatures, the date of sale, purchase price, and buyer’s driver’s license number).

In most states you would go there, execute the title transfer (on the title usually and may require a notary), pay the seller, then come home and go to your DMV with the things needed per the above link.

I would always get a bill of sale also.

You should have asked the seller to see the title and the VIN plate. You should see on the title what is needed to transfer it. Make sure the VIN number match.

Any further questions should be addressed to your states DMV.

And as long as you have the proper paperwork (bill of sale and title transfer) then there is very small chance of getting in trouble on the way home... tow it unregistered for a few months and you might (and should) get in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakmoser View Post
...The owner is nervous about being burned and basically wants to have all the paperwork in order before we take it home ...
Thats strange because all the seller needs to worry about is getting the cash. YOU are the one who bears the risk and maybe should be nervous. Will the title be clear? Will there be hidden damage? Etc..
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

New Jersey
I guess he's nervous we wouldn't put the trailer into our name? He made it seem like we would need to go to the DMV with him. It was a little odd, but I guess he just hasn't really done this before.

Do we need insurance in place BEFORE we get the trailer?

Also, how do we get a bill of sale? Is it something I can draw up or would the SELLER draw one up in PA?

I'm going to drive to the NJ DMV tomorrow with these questions but this has been so helpful. We are paying him in cash so yes, not sure why he's worried.

Thanks!!
Old 07-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #5

New Jersey
On the link you gave me, it says NO TITLE needed for under 2,500lbs. He has a title, would he still give it to me, but we just don't sign it over? If we have a notarized bill of sale, I pay him cash and we drive off with it...is there a way he could get into trouble or I'm not the responsible party? I am trying to alleviate any worry in his mind first...I can also call my insurance company to see if I can add the trailer before we pick it up.

I wish I asked to see the title & VIN # today! We drove 4 hours to see this trailer today and I'm delirious and the whole thing seems really daunting and I'm worried he will just go with another person if it's too complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
SEE: https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/trailer.htm
and
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles...le.htm#otherst

One thing they say is that you will need:

The title properly assigned (includes seller/buyer name and address and signatures, the date of sale, purchase price, and buyer’s driver’s license number).

In most states you would go there, execute the title transfer (on the title usually and may require a notary), pay the seller, then come home and go to your DMV with the things needed per the above link.

I would always get a bill of sale also.

You should have asked the seller to see the title and the VIN plate. You should see on the title what is needed to transfer it. Make sure the VIN number match.

Any further questions should be addressed to your states DMV.

And as long as you have the proper paperwork (bill of sale and title transfer) then there is very small chance of getting in trouble on the way home... tow it unregistered for a few months and you might (and should) get in trouble.

Thats strange because all the seller needs to worry about is getting the cash. YOU are the one who bears the risk and maybe should be nervous. Will the title be clear? Will there be hidden damage? Etc..
Old 07-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Insurance should be easy peasy. When we bought our Casita (new from factory), we called our agent and asked him to add it to our car policy before we left home to pick it up. As soon as we had the vin, we called it in to the office and he activated the coverage.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
On the link you gave me, it says NO TITLE needed for under 2,500lbs. He has a title, would he still give it to me, but we just don't sign it over? ....
On the second link it talks about vehicles coming from another state which already have a title, and says you need the ten items in the prior section. Item one of those ten is "The title properly assigned (includes seller/buyer name and address and signatures, the date of sale, purchase price, and buyer’s driver license number)." It appears that trailers are considered vehicles for the purpose of this section.

Confused yet? I know I am.. thats why I say go to the local DMV office, tell them what you are planning to buy and where, that it has a title, etc.. and let them tell you want you need.

BTW, I bet if he just gives you the title and there is not a transfer executed, then you have nothing more than a useless piece of paper. But thats a guess.. Your DMV can tell you.

As for insurance, call your agent! Thats what hes there for. Your vehicle policy likely meets the minimum legal requirements for liability at least (if not property damage) when you are towing the trailer, in which case it will come down to "Are you OK with taking a total loss if the trailer is destroyed when not covered by insurance?"
Old 07-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
I believe you need to title your trailer since you are buying a travel trailer. Look at the heading
"To Register and Title a Trailer that was Pre-Owned (over 2,500 lbs) and all Travel Trailers" in the first link that Gordon2 posted for New Jersey.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Pa. requires notarized signatures on titles. I bought a trailer in Pa. and we had to go to a DMV agent which was actually an Insurance agency to get the paperwork notarized. NJ will know the Pa. rules and then process your title/registration. Check with NJ on getting a trip permit to get the trailer home. In Va. I needed the VIN to get the trip permit and have to have carry a signed Bill of Sale while in transit. In Pa. the BOS might have to be notarized. Like others stated visit or call your NJ DMV for the rules. Bottom line picking up a trailer in Pa. needs to be done when the DMV is open. This has been my experience, YMMV.
Not a big deal it's done all the time just know the rules before you leave home so there are no surprises.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Buying a trailer in PA, but live in NJ

Quote:
I guess he's nervous we wouldn't put the trailer into our name? He made it seem like we would need to go to the DMV with him. It was a little odd, but I guess he just hasn't really done this before.

Do we need insurance in place BEFORE we get the trailer?

Also, how do we get a bill of sale? Is it something I can draw up or would the SELLER draw one up in PA?
Seller should cancel the registration as soon as it’s sold and keep the license plate to turn in. That ends their liability for anything that happens on the way home. In Arizona you can go online to cancel your registration after a sale. Simple and immediate.

Everything else must be done in your home state. You do not need to have a plate on the trailer for the trip home. Just carry the purchase documents (and your tow vehicle registration and insurance, of course).

Trailers do not require separate insurance. Liability is covered by the tow vehicle policy. Now if you want full coverage, that can be purchased after you get home (or possibly before if you want to be covered for the trip home). Talk to your agent.

Either of you can draw up the bill of sale. There are online samples.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #11

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Smile Fingers crossed

Hi Lisa, We are also buying across state line. We feel your same sense of excitement and concern. Our seller is solid but there is a lot to figure out. I created a gear list in Google docs if you are interested but that applies more to being First T owner. We are driving it home, half day trip, insured on our policy but not doing plate until we arrive . Have read that carrying bill of sale and title is enough. FL does not offer trip permit that I have found.
Good luck and safe travels.
Sandy
SandyNorthFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #12

New Jersey
THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Spoke to the PA DMV today and it doesn't seem too bad. We do need to get to a Tag place together & sign off on the title with a notary, and get in-transit tags to bring the vehicle into NJ.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #13

New Jersey
In PA they will give us in-transit plates for $75 that are good for 30 days. It's cardboard!

I would love to see your list!

Does your new trailer have a braking system? I'm worried since this one doesn't have one...how would we even get one installed? So much to think about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyNorthFL View Post
Hi Lisa, We are also buying across state line. We feel your same sense of excitement and concern. Our seller is solid but there is a lot to figure out. I created a gear list in Google docs if you are interested but that applies more to being First T owner. We are driving it home, half day trip, insured on our policy but not doing plate until we arrive . Have read that carrying bill of sale and title is enough. FL does not offer trip permit that I have found.
Good luck and safe travels.
Sandy
Old 07-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Spoke to the PA DMV today and it doesn't seem too bad. We do need to get to a Tag place together & sign off on the title with a notary, and get in-transit tags to bring the vehicle into NJ.
Maybe PA does require you both to go to their office to assign a title to a new owner, but in every vehicle purchase I have done (not in PA however), you can use any notary - and often only the seller needs a notary, or they both seller and buyer can be notarized separately. However both of you going to the DMV office is a good way to make sure things go smoothly
Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I bought my Casita in PA in 2006 for cash.
The seller and I went to a trailer dealer, the seller signed the title and the dealer notorized it and sold me a temporary tag but I don't remember it costing $75.

The following section will be different for you.

In Ohio I took it to a DMV inspection facility where they compared the model and serial numbers and I "assume" that it had light and so forth. Then with the papers I went to the county clerk of courts, paid the Ohio sales tax and fee and they issues me a Ohio Title. Then to the deputy registrar to get a Ohio license plate.

It was all really easy in hindsight.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
It's been half a century since I sold a vehicle in PA where I once lived, but I'm sure the seller is just worried about running afoul of the PA requirements for selling a vehicle. The PA DMV states what the seller is required to do, and they have a PDF file that lists what they need to do before giving you the trailer.
Good luck!
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
...The PA DMV states what the seller is required to do, and they have a PDF file that lists what they need to do before giving you the trailer.
Good info.. but boy, they sure do make it a pain to sell a vehicle in PA!
Old 07-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #18

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Trailer purchase

Quote:
Hi, we went to see a camper today and loved it. The problem is we live in NJ and the trailer is in PA (and not close to any NJ DMV). The owner is nervous about being burned and basically wants to have all the paperwork in order before we take it home (if we can make it happen).

Does anyone have any insight on this situation? Could we head to a PA DMV and sign over the title there and get some sort of temporary tag situation before going to a NJ DMV?

We are worried they will go with someone in-state if the process is too annoying. Which I understand. We will be calling our DMV tomorrow morning first thing but figured I would post here first! Thank you!!!
Check the website for the DMV in New Jersey and see what is there regarding what you need to register the trailer. Many states have FAQs or all the information you seek. I can’t understand why the current owner is worried about being burned. If he has the money, you registering it is your problem, not his.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #19

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Buying a trailer in GA but living in OH

I bought my Casita in GA for Cash. The seller had a clear title (no liens) for the Casita.

Before leaving GA, the seller and I filled out the appropriate sections on the back of the GA title and we prepared a generic bill of sale document listing the price, the seller (name & address), myself (name & address) as the purchaser and the Casita's description & VIN. We then visited a GA notary public who notarized both documents and provided copies of each for both of us.

The seller retained the Casita's GA license plate. The theory was that the bill of sale and signed-over GA title would "cover" me for the my return trip to Ohio.

I then towed the Casita tagless out of GA, across SC, NC, TN, and KY to OH. Arriving in OH, I then followed the process that Joe described above:
  1. Visited an OH DMV inspection facility where they compared the VIN on the above paperwork to the VIN on the Casita and gave me a confirmation certificate
  2. Took the bill of sale and #1 to the county clerk's office where I paid the OH sales tax and exchanged the GA title for an OH title
  3. Took the OH title from #2 to a deputy registrar's office and paid the registration fee to obtain an OH license plate for the Casita
Aside from the odyssey across multiple states, the process was identical to the process when I had bought a used car in KY.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
I bought a truck once in Nevada when I lived in Utah. I gave the seller a check, which he wanted to clear before I took the truck. He gave me the title, which I took to my local DMV. The DMV couldn't give me a new title because they have to inspect the VIN on out of state purchases but they gave me an in transit permit. When my check cleared the bank I picked up the truck and brought it home. I had to go through two weigh stations on the way and there was no problem with the paperwork at either.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote