Buying an old RV that is titled in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Buying an old Okanagan
Minnesota
Buying an old RV that is titled in Canada

Hi, I'm new here, and found this site as I was looking for the answers about what happens when I end up buying a trailer that has a title from Canada and need to transfer it to South Dakota.

I didn't see an answer that was clear. Can anyone help me with this ASAP??
I thought that it was like with a car, but of course I have always done transfers of title in the US.

This trailer is in Mexico and will never, in my lifetime, go anywhere else. Well, it will get moved a few miles from storage to the beach and back. For that reason I think I need to have license and tabs although there doesn't appear to be a system for this at the present time in Baja.

ANY insights, and especially any info that will help me will be appreciated.
Thanks!
fancyfreespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
You want to buy a Canadian licensed trailer that's in Mexico and license it in the US but leave in Mexico.
I think you need a lawyer.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

Minnesota
R U serious?!?!?! I love that you are an Oregonian though!!! Really, is it too complicated? It's going to be a big disappointment to seller AND buyer!!!!! I am still looking for answers on Google, but am happy to know that somebody saw my post already.. That's encouraging!!!
Thanks! Anything more to add???!?!?!??!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Susan, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

We can laugh, but maybe Byron is right? Remember, we aren't attorneys and it's YOUR money and no one on this forum is going to show up and testify in court.

Frankly, I can't remember anyone with the condition you're talking about and we've seen some pretty complicated transactions.

Anyone?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

Minnesota
Donna, what a great picture to identify you as a straight-shooter, serious woman from (yet another!) Oregon!! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #6

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th wheel
Michigan
It sounds like what you really need is a Mexican citizen to title and insure it locally for you at an annual fee. There is probably a way to have it titled as a "homebuilt" trailer if a title transfer is not possible. If any paperwork needs to trade hands it is then between the Canadian and Mexican. You have then skipped the US impossibilities altogether. So you would essentially be "leasing" it. You just need to find someone you can trust and that might be the hard part...
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #7

Minnesota
Hmmmmm..........I had no idea it would be so complicated! So when I get to Mexico the trailer will already be on the beach, and now I need to study up on Mexican import fees, or ???? I have been going to the same area for years so I do know people, but I guess at this point I need to learn what would be required from there then?? I hate to ask people for help, but maybe this is the easiest (!?) way. What do the rest of you think???
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
just to throw another wrench in the plan, have you checked to see if the trailer has clear title? - no liens, not stolen?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
You want to buy a Canadian licensed trailer that's in Mexico and license it in the US but leave in Mexico.
I think you need a lawyer.
as my parents owned a place in Mexico for years and having dealt with the legals on that I suspect Byron your right!

Is the person who is selling it Canadian and do they still have their Canadian Registration paper work for it? Canadian trailers have their own plates and owners registration that needs to be signed over to you as you will need that to register it - regardless of where.

Your problem is going to be if you home state requires you to bring the trailer into the DMV to have the serial number checked against the paper work... dont have any suggestions on a work around for that if the trailer is out of the country. On another note you might be able to put Mexican plates on it in the town it currently sits in with just the signed over owners registration papers... you might want to check a Mexican tourist/resident forum out for more info on that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
just to throw another wrench in the plan, have you checked to see if the trailer has clear title? - no liens, not stolen?
Good point. Each province in Canada has a data base you can run the serial number of the trailer through for a small fee to see if it has no liens against it.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #11

Minnesota
Yes, I know the owner. He was on the beach a couple of years ago with this RV. His brother and wife are very good friends of mine. But, Thank You for pointing out the kinds of things one should consider. This was going to be the perfect plan, with the perfect known rig, and up and up all the way. I wouldn't have done this otherwise, I'm sure. So somewhere in all of these helpful notes I will hope to find another "perfect" plan of action!! Grateful to each one of you for your help!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #12

Be sure to let us know how it all works out.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #13

Registry
Mexicomike.com has some good info on the topic of Mexico permits for trailers.... as well as some serious warnings on the topic.

Edit: BTW its illegal to sell a car in Mexico if it was admitted on a visitor permit only (good for up to 10 years for trailers) would not be surprised if the same rule applied to trailers.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #14

Minnesota
I have my Jeep in Mexico licensed in So Dakota, and would do the same in this case. They don't require you to bring your vehicles in there. It's inexpensive and you get an address there to make it legitimate. Anyone can use it, and you might want to look into it yourselves. Americas Mailbox. They will forward mail to travelers such as 'we' also.

If anyone uses them please tell them Susan Nelson, #4400, sent you. They discount services when you refer others.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #15

I think we're back to lawyers.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In order to get a Canadian trailer licensed in any state you first have to import it to the U.S. If it's over 25 years old that's not to difficult but, if it crossed the U.S. to Mexico as a vacation trailer you may have problems

Maybe a Mexican lawyer is in order.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think we're back to lawyers.
Me cree usted, señor correcta
Old 09-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I tried getting a 45 year old garden tractor built in the us, back to the us from canada...after 3 months of bs I gave up on the idea. Good luck.

Unless you're saving at least $5k dollars on going price, I would walk, myself.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title