Buying for Interior height, full length bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My husband is 6'-2". The Eggcamper looks ok at 6'7" interior ht. Others list 6'-3" interior but just at the center. He also needs enough width if the mattress sits width-wise to fit a full length mattress. Any other Height-challenged folks with recommendations for us? We do love the Eggcamper possibility..just want to look at all options.
Carol L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Just up the road from you in Chilliwack, BC, Escape Trailers is now making a 19' model with an interior height of 6'5" or so and a full-time queen bed. We have one on order, and we bought it for the same reasons you have to search for a bit more room. In the bargain, we found that the owners, Reace and Tammy are great people to work with and put out a terrific product. There's a trade show coming up in Vancouver in a couple of weeks where the new 19' will be on display. I highly recommend you check out the Escape: http://www.escapetrailer.com/ and give Tammy an email as to the particulars of the upcoming show: info[at]escapetrailer.com

Happy Hunting,
Bruce Wray
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Just thought I'd tell you that I'm 6'1" and I fit fine in my Casita 17. Not that tall at edges, but you don't walk there. Matter of fact, you don't walk much in these , no matter what. The width is full bed length which works fine for me. Sure it's not as long as my King at home but it's fine for both of us and she is 5'9"
My 16' Scamp was same height, I think, but A/C was in middle of floor. Not that big a deal since you really don't walk around much and the bed was same length but only 46' or so wide which didn't work for us.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #4

Thanks Bruce...we will BE THERE! We only wish there would be an Escape and an Egg in the same place to compare the two.
We appreciate the help,
Carol

Quote:
Just up the road from you in Chilliwack, BC, Escape Trailers is now making a 19' model with an interior height of 6'5" or so and a full-time queen bed. We have one on order, and we bought it for the same reasons you have to search for a bit more room. In the bargain, we found that the owners, Reace and Tammy are great people to work with and put out a terrific product. There's a trade show coming up in Vancouver in a couple of weeks where the new 19' will be on display. I highly recommend you check out the Escape: http://www.escapetrailer.com/ and give Tammy an email as to the particulars of the upcoming show: info[at]escapetrailer.com

Happy Hunting,
Bruce Wray

Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #5

Chris - seeing the Casita trekking down the highway was what first started on our search for the right fiberglass trailer. It's still one of our options and your info about it really helps -
Thanks,
Carol

Quote:
Just thought I'd tell you that I'm 6'1" and I fit fine in my Casita 17. Not that tall at edges, but you don't walk there. Matter of fact, you don't walk much in these , no matter what. The width is full bed length which works fine for me. Sure it's not as long as my King at home but it's fine for both of us and she is 5'9"
My 16' Scamp was same height, I think, but A/C was in middle of floor. Not that big a deal since you really don't walk around much and the bed was same length but only 46' or so wide which didn't work for us.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've always figured getting a good night's sleep is more important than height. As mentioned before, it's not like you're going to spend much time inside the trailer and when you're there... you'll spend 99% of that time either sitting or laying down.

So, check this topic for bed sizes in different trailers/models: Bed Sizes
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Hi Carol,

We also live in WA and also have been looking at EggCampers, wanting the extra width, height, and searching for sleeping comfort. Apparantly none have been sold on the west coast, according to Jim Palmer, owner of EggCamper, so there aren't any to look at.

We own a 13' Burro, all Burros have extra width which gives them longer beds. We were considering a 17' Burro, there is one for sale right now in Idaho, but when we toured Per's (Burro master here on the forum) in Portland we found the floor room to be narrow due to the side bathroom. We are looking at the EggCAmper because it has a front bathroom so a wider floor area. That's just a consideration for us. The EggCamper over all is actually a few inches narrower than a Burro.

You may know this already but Burros, which are not made any more, have traditinally been considered the 'bigger' of the small FG trailers due to the extra width. There are Burroites on this forum who can tell you all the virtues of their Burros! (And others who might argue those virtues! ) They do come up for sale now and then and you are welcome to take a look at our 13' to get a sense of the width and height.

Both the EggCamper and Burros have 5' doors, pretty standard, so most folks have to learn to duck, some of us more than others!

If you would like to send me a PM I would be happy to talk with you and share all the info we have gathered on the EggCamper, we have been 'bugging' everyone we can find who has one to answer our questions.

Penney
p.s. I sent a post earlier here but it got lost - hope this isn't a repeat of what I said, but that one never showed up - Donna, where do lost posts go?

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We have a 17' Casita Liberty .. We can use the bed as a King, and we did for 3 years. When set up as a King, there is nowhere to sit, so it's bedtime for everyone. Then we got smart and changed the arrangement to twin beds.

Jim is 6'1" and sleeps great in the twin. We widen each bed with a board, and bolsters, and the twin bed is then approx 33" wide and 80" long. Here is a photo showing one side as used in the daytime, and the other made up to sleep. Now we have plenty of room to walk around, and to dress. This arrangement works great for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Upton_Casita_Interior_low_res_11.jpg  
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
We own a 13' Burro, all Burros have extra width which gives them longer beds.
p.s. I sent a post earlier here but it got lost - hope this isn't a repeat of what I said, but that one never showed up - Donna, where do lost posts go?
Actually, there are four different "types" of Burros and not all are the wide bodies. There's the 13', 14 wide body, 17 wide body w/bath and 17 wide body no/bath... which has been dubbed the Dance Hall edition because it appears huge on the inside. See the album here for the Burro models: Burro Albums Side bath trailers provide a window at the front, which may be important to some, plus as Per has done, create a dinette in the front and leave the back area up as a full-time bed. The EggCamper doesn't have windows front or back. Here's the EggCamper Album: EggCamper Album

Art who has an EggCamper said this:
"EggCamper mattress size is 53x75, but if not for the small radius corners it could be 88" long."

And my 16' Scamp Deluxe bed measures 52 1/2 x 78. A standard Scamp is 45x78

Ahh Penney, I don't know what happened to your post.... sorry.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #10

Registry
Thank you Donna for the clarification, I did not mean to misinform, just having a brain lapse! The old Burro web site gives same extra width for both 17' & 14' but I forgot there are earlier ones ( including ours!) that were built differently. Duh!

What I'd like to find is a 17' with front bath, which I understand are rarer than rare. Would be roomier I imagine.

The EggCamper not having front and back windows is a concern of ours, but in communicating with owners they all say plenty of view and light with the windows that are there. This is where seeing one would be helpful, wish the company would send one out to west coast shows.

Penney

Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Thank you Donna for the clarification, I did not mean to misinform, just having a brain lapse! The old Burro web site gives same extra width for both 17' & 14' but I forgot there are earlier ones ( including ours!) that were built differently. Duh!

What I'd like to find is a 17' with front bath, which I understand are rarer than rare. Would be roomier I imagine.

The EggCamper not having front and back windows is a concern of ours, but in communicating with owners they all say plenty of view and light with the windows that are there. This is where seeing one would be helpful, wish the company would send one out to west coast shows.

Penney
You didn't misinform Penney... I just gave further clarification. I agree too the EggCamper is a nice, nice trailer. But, FOR ME I like having that big back window. Especially when backing into a beautiful vista... like along the coast. Doesn't matter if it's sunny or stormy out... I can sit in my trailer and watch the waves crash along the sand or rocks. Otherwise, I'd have to park sideways. Your mileage may vary tho.

But ya know, we do have an EggCamper coming to the Oregon Gathering in July. See this post: Looks Who's Coming _BillPatB! I really want to see this trailer (and the owners!) too
Old 03-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #12

Registry
Glad you mentioned Bill and Pat, I've talked with Bill (very nice and very helpful) and knew they were planning to go to Oregon gathering, good information for Carol L.

Carol, there is a good thread about the EggCamper here:EggCamper discussion

Yes, those views are what it's all about for me too and sometimes here in the NW we have to enjoy them from inside , that's why the lack of rear window is a concern. I keep telling myself there is no perfect trailer, and compromises have to be made, but not certain what to compromise on....

Wouldn't it be nice to design our own! Mine would be double walled construction (I'm one who likes the clean lightness, and insulated walls. I've seen some refer to as the "hospital look" ); big windows, comfortably tall inside, big bed, light to pull, propane heater, and shower. Simple desires, hard to find! Our Baby Burro is close, but missing a few things a few extra feet could accommodate!
Penney

Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #13

Well, here's something that meets all but two of your requirements. Not light and not cheap:
Elite 22 footer. Has the double-hull, all white interiors, inside height 6'6".... and did I mention NOT cheap. $42,999 MSRP.

You might be better off building it your way by starting with a cargo trailer I've thought about it. We had a gal join us here on FiberglassRV a couple of years ago. Check out her topic and the link to her pictures: Introducing Myself - Cathy Mutch

Boy, have I taken this topic way off to the left... sorry
Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
We have a 17' Casita Liberty .. We can use the bed as a King, and we did for 3 years. When set up as a King, there is nowhere to sit, so it's bedtime for everyone. Then we got smart and changed the arrangement to twin beds.

Jim is 6'1" and sleeps great in the twin. We widen each bed with a board, and bolsters, and the twin bed is then approx 33" wide and 80" long. Here is a photo showing one side as used in the daytime, and the other made up to sleep. Now we have plenty of room to walk around, and to dress. This arrangement works great for us.
Hi Carol:

Do you remember the pre-mod size of the Liberty bench? We're thinking of taking two-twin foam mattresses, with us to Rice, to put on top of the Casita cushions?? ..... We probably have to cut them down to make them fit??

So many things to think about ..... so little time

Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote