Buying in Canada, living in US - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp

I have been waiting to buy the perfect "glass" egg and have not yet found it. I have seen several for sale in Canada and was considering "importing" one. How difficult is it to drive to Canada and bring it back? Will I have to pay import taxes? What about registration? Should I prearrange with my local DMV (assuming that's possible) so it's registered when I enter the country?

Has anyone done this? Any recommendations? Anything I should avoid? Anything I should look for?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Crystal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)

I live in the U.S. and I've bought two trailers in Canada and brought them back at various times for the same reason -- I couldn't find one near me. There have been a few threads on this, with extensive information, including my take on it.

If you start with this one, it will have links to the other ones as well:

Basically, the biggest issue is what your home state's DMV has for rules (especially if the trailer is over 25 years old; if it's less than 25 years old, the Feds will be interested too). You'll need to look into that individually for your state, which you can start by looking up your state's DMV website.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
I bought a Bigfoot in Canada about 3 years ago, and I was told at the border that if the trailer was made in Ca there is no import tax. You do have to fill out some paper work at the border, but it was a smooth transaction. I live in NY so your state my be different. Now the Bigfoot was a 1993 also not a brand new one.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote