buying replacement cushions for Boler and where to get propane tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2006, 07:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler
Hello all Boler owners!

Just wondering where I could purchase replacement cushions for a 1974 Boler trailer as well as where to buy a new propane tank for my "baby". Haven't had any luck here in Winnipeg finding either.

Any ideas?

Mavis from Winnipeg
MRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Scamp cushions might fit, you could check with them.
any 20 pound propane tank is ok for the trailer, but you may have to change the fitting on the trailer if it is too old.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler
Quote:
Scamp cushions might fit, you could check with them.
any 20 pound propane tank is ok for the trailer, but you may have to change the fitting on the trailer if it is too old.
Thanks Joe

Do you know where I could find a Scamp dealer?

Mavis Rowe - Winnipeg
MRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Joe

Do you know where I could find a Scamp dealer?

Mavis Rowe - Winnipeg

Their factory is in Backus MN. They don't have any dealers. However you can call them at 1-800-346-4962. They're very friendly and helpful people.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... where to buy a new propane tank for my "baby". Haven't had any luck here in Winnipeg finding either.
Most of us have common "20-pound" propane tanks, the same as are commonly used with barbecues, and those are available at a wide range of stores (here, Costco is cheapest, but Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc have them too). Is there anything about this Boler's current tank (assuming it has one that needs replacing) which looks different from the current tanks? The big threads around the outside of the fitting on a new tank (called the QCC style) should not be a problem, since the new tanks still have threads inside them for the old-style (called POL) fittings would have been original equipment on a Boler.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Mavis, if you are buying a new 20 lb propane tank you may want to consider the extra cost of a tank with the OPD valve, "Overfill Protection Device".....a bit harder to find around here......apparently it`s mandatory in some states if you have to refill your tank there.....I use the regular tanks myself and haven`t had any problems.....are your cushions missing or you just want to recover and /or refoam them? .....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 72 Boler American
We bought big pieces of foam and "did it ourselves." First we tore the fabric off the old cushions, and used them as templates for the new cushions. Then we used an electric knife to cut the foam. We had someone sew the fabric on for us. The nice thing about doing it this way is that you can pick the density and thickness of the foam that you want. We chose 4 inch thick pieces for the dinette area and 3 inch for the bunks. The seamstress added some "batting" to the top to soften up the 3 inch cushions.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro
I thought that overflow protection devices were federally mandated. Here in Wisconsin I know that it has been illegal to refill the old tanks for about 3 years. Locally we can buy tanks from any hardware, department or sporting goods store, just about anyplace.

When getting a tank filled in WI they also look very critically at the reinspection date. If it is past a certain age, they will not refill it.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I thought that overflow protection devices were federally mandated. Here in Wisconsin I know that it has been illegal to refill the old tanks for about 3 years. Locally we can buy tanks from any hardware, department or sporting goods store, just about anyplace.

When getting a tank filled in WI they also look very critically at the reinspection date. If it is past a certain age, they will not refill it.
True for the US, but I don't know about Canada.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:26 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Much the same rules in Canada. A tank is good for 10 years from its registration stamp. Once it expires, there are two options.

1. Leave the tank at the fill station and buy a new tank.

2. Get the tank re-certified. This entails replacing the valve assembly and having the tank pressure tested (both only done by certified personnel at a certified shop). The tank is then stamped with the next date, re-newing it for ten years. The cost to re-certify is very similar to the cost of a new 20 pound bottle, hence the large accumulation of expired 20 pound bottles at many fill stops.

On my old rig, I had 3o pound bottles, and it wasy significantly cheaper to re-certify!

Victor
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
On the question of cushions, this may be an option.

http://www.rvworkshop.com/cushioncov...tainprices.htm

They appear to be very well made covers for a very reasonable price. I am particularly impressed with what looks like synthetic naughahide backs rather than fabric. That significantly adds to the cushion life.

I would chose my own foam, and then send the foam dimensions to them to make the cushions for me.

Victor
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
OPDs are apparently not required by law in Alberta, for either new tanks sold or old tanks to be refilled. Some stores stock new non-OPD tanks, but the Costco stores where I have checked lately have only OPD-equipped tanks, at a good price, which is why I suggested them as a possible source.

I would choose an OPD-equipped tank if buying new, but I realize that I would likely lose the OPD if I used an exchange service, since the companies which offer exchanges (turn in your empty tank for a full one instead of refilling your tank) in my area have few if any OPD-equipped tanks in their stock.

Again in this area, I would not be concerned about a refilling station requiring the tank to be equipped with an OPD; in fact, the kids working at my nearest station don't even look at the date on the tank. Obviously, practices vary by location. I am prepared for the possibility that if I plan poorly and run out (of both tanks!) on vacation in the U.S., I will likely be forced to buy a new tank.

An in-between option for old (expired) tanks in addition to those offered by Victor might be to trade the expired tank in on a re-certified (but still used) tank. While the old tank has little (if any) commercial value, the trade-in has sometimes been offered in conjuction with toxic waste "roundups" run by municipalities - I did this a few years ago with our old barbecue tank. This is likely to be available only for the common 20-pound size.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler