Cabinet & Drawer latches - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 99 Scamp 16
Idaho
Cabinet & Drawer latches

Anyone have any modifications to keep drawers and cabinet doors from coming open during travel especially on washboard roads or rough highways? The roller latches seem to not want to hold the doors shut. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #2

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I use bungee cords to hold the cupboard and closet doors closed when I'm travelling. I can lock my one drawer, so I don't have a problem with that...unless...of course...I forget to lock it.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's my solution to the 3 doors over the kitchen in my Scamp 13.

The utility/silverware drawer has never come out. I use a bunge cord for the closet door.
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen cabinet lock #1.JPG   kitchen cabinet lock #2.JPG  

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #4

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
I am in the process of putting new doors on all the cabinets (My Casita arrived with none ( ) My pal came up with using the latch like on the old style double hung windows, we have to shim the receiver that mounts on the cabinet to match the door thickness but these when closed should hold up to any road bump. Home Depot $2.87 +/- they come in white enamel. I am going to use the Casita push button knob on my one drawer - $8 plus S/H. I found the replacement latches that were originally on "Eggbert" but they are $12 & up @ overheads, the kitchen doors used the "Bulldog" hole in the fiberglass, plug on the door & then you would need a pull. Using my inexpensive fix for now. Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Here is my solution
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #6

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Philp-it RV Cabinet Latches are a small easy solution for problem doors all be it a bit pricey.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #7

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
I used a 1/4" dowel rod with rubber bands when I had my SCAMP.
Place the rod behind the top of the door pulls and slip the rubber band over the door pull.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rod with rubber bands.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	54411
Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Place the rod behind the top of the door pulls and slip the rubber band over the door pull.
Attachment 54411
Slick idea. You could use shock cording instead of rubber bands.

Shock Cord - 1/8 Inch at REI.com
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I have had the same problem. I have not fixed it yet, but I have been tempted to go back to the latches my previous RV had which were a positive latch system and worked well. See some samples below. The last picture is one that is meant to be a concealed latch that is meant to work with your existing cabinet knobs. Just search on "cabinet hardware RV" if you want more options. Let us know what you choose and how it works out.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #10

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Here is the solution.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
On our overhead cabinets I put a eye bolt at each end next to the cabinet door, then slide a wood dowel through them, across the doors, with a hairpin type clip through a drilled hole on each end of the dowel. Closet door has a plain old hook & eye to keep it shut while traveling.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #12

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I have had the same problem. I have not fixed it yet, but I have been tempted to go back to the latches my previous RV had which were a positive latch system and worked well. See some samples below. The last picture is one that is meant to be a concealed latch that is meant to work with your existing cabinet knobs. Just search on "cabinet hardware RV" if you want more options. Let us know what you choose and how it works out.
I added some doors to my burro and replaced a broken latch. I used the top left one in Eric's post. It came close to matching the original latches and works great.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #13

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Attachment 54411

Slick and simple solution, Kevin.

Small enough to easily store and probably a great back scratcher too! (I love multi-use tools!)
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: Vixen Motor Coach
California
Registry
Push Button Cabinet Latches - C-Quip

These are a little costly but I first saw them on our boat at work. We dive from it frequently and in close quarters, it has been quite functional and aesthetically pleasing.

This is a generic link so look up "push button latch" for better local results - I just used this link so you can see the latch is flush when not in use and completely out of the way. You push it in, it clicks, the middle pops out, then you pull the extended portion to open the door. When you are done, you push it in until it clicks when flush, and its out of the way again.

I have torn the pockets off several pairs of cargo pants (what I typically use when we camp in the egg) and have finally bought some latches like these ... now I just need to install them!