Cabinet Door Latches - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
I'm just finishing the new doors for all the cabinets. Nothing fancy, just polyacrylic satin clear varnished plywood.

Question is, what are the best fasteners to use?

Scamp has these
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/p-324-cabine...ller-catch.aspx
but I'm not sure I can make them work unless I tab in some re-inforcement inside the cabinets to mount them to.

I know Pete has some slick magnets.

Are the original chrome latch style of handles still available anywhere?

Has anyone used velco tabs and would that work and be strong enough?

Thanks for any replies.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Try these Magnetic_latches

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
[I had originally said I had seen them at Vintage]

Edited to say "Oopsie, it wasn't Vintage that had them!"

And now I can't remember where I did see them.

But, from a quick search, here are very similar ones to what I was talking about. The second set is similar in style to the ones on my Boler, with the two "feet" that extend near the latch end of the handle for fasteners. These are completely surface mount, with the receptacle side varying in height to match your door thickness.

Name:   latch.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  8.3 KB

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail...=50&CID=380

and

Name:   latch2.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  9.7 KB

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail...=50&CID=380

I know I've seen similar ones elsewhere also, maybe in silver.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Never really liked the Scamp latches. I replaced them with strong magnets I screwed to the frame of my cabinet doors:

Click image for larger version

Name:	08Jul06MAgneticLatch1.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	26005

I installed a push-button latch for the center door of the cabinet I built for the back of the trailer over the dinette.

Name:	09June27_New_Dinette_Upper_Cabinet_1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	26006

They are a smaller diameter pushbutton than the ones Casita uses, and I think they're a better fit, aesthetically, for the trailer. Got them from here. Like them a lot. Their only downside is they're designed for thicker cabinet doors and frames, so you have to "build up" the door frame and door in the spot where you put the latch to match that of a traditional cabinet doors and frames. I did this using a couple 1/4" blocks of wood glued to the inside of the door and cabinet.
Attached Images

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Has anyone used Velcro tabs and would that work and be strong enough?
The Fiber Stream has lightweight sliding doors for the upper kitchen cabinet. A previous owner installed Velcro tabs to hold them closed during transit.

Name:	Kitchen_Aft.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	26010

The fuzzy loop part (1/2" x 1") is rivited to the side of the cabinet in the middle of the curve of the opening. Half of it hangs in front of the opening facing in.
The hard hook part (1/2" x 1/2") is glued to the face of the door panel facing out.

The one for the aft slider keeps ripping the loop part out of the rivit. The hook & loop parts stay fastened to each other. I think the rivit was installed too close to the edge of the material.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I guess it would depend on what you had inside the cupboard, but you wouldn't want something pushing a hinged door open "underway."

The Velcro™ types I've used that would hold a hinged door that strongly would not be all that fun to use on a regular basis, in my opinion (the double hook type). They are a lot more of a pain to open and close then a latch handle.

It would be different on a sliding door, because the force of objects against the doors would be outward, and there is a track to hold them in place. So the latch/velcro/whatever is only holding the door from sliding sideways, not holding the contents in. There's more force of contents on a hinged door trying to open it.

Now maybe I'm being too cautious because of my background on sailboats. There, you want to know you could turn the boat upside down and shake it and have everything stay in place. I know it's not that severe in an egg though.

I agree that the original latches on the Bolers/Trilliums are not all that satisfying, architecturally

There are some nice latches and catches in boating catalogs, although they are more expensive and heavier, as a rule. But you might get some ideas from something like www.westmarine.com

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Vintage Trailer Supply has the same style of dual pinch catch here that were used on our '77 Boler. They work on 5/8ths. thick doors I think.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
scampcovers_in_Boler.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
The ones Raya posted are the way to go. They are also referred to as positive latches if that helps in your search.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry

Thanks everyone very much for your replies.

Food for thought!

CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote