Camera Installation Question - Garmin 760 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Camera Installation Question - Garmin 760

I would like to use the camera in 3 different ways:
  1. See what's behind me on the highway
  2. Backing up
  3. Hooking up
From reading the instructions, it seems to me that if the transmitter is connected to backup light for power, that the camera only works when in reverse. If that's true, then doesn't that mean #1 and #3 won't work?

Below paragraphs are how I think I might be able to solve problem so all 3 options are available. Please comment.

Mount the transmitter inside the tow vehicle, since it would be less than 20' from transmitter to camera. What I am thinking is running the wire from the transmitter down to the 7-pin receptacle and terminate it in it's own waterproof connector. Then have a wire running under the trailer back to the camera that I could plug in whenever I plug the 7-pin connector in. I would just tie wrap it to the trailer wiring so I would be reminded to plug it in whenever I connected the 7-pin connector.

Assuming that works, then I need a quick connect/disconnect for the camera so I can remove it from the trailer and mount on the back of the tow. This would also let me take the camera off and store inside the trailer when camping.

Question 1: What's wrong with my plan?

Question 2: What's a better way to accomplish it?

Question 3: Where would be a good place to get power in my tow vehicle for the transmitter that is on when the power is on and off when vehicle power is switched off?

Thanks
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
The main reason for using a wireless back up camera for your trailer is to avoid a cable between the trailer & tow vehicle. If you want to put the transmitter in the tow vehicle, you might look into wired cameras. They are often less expensive, and higher picture quality.

In any case, one power source that some have used is the taillights of the tow. You can switch them on when ever you want the camera. In my case, I have a 2 camera wired system, and have both cameras on all the time (wired to my tow vehicle's aux connection so they are off when the key is off.) A multiplexer is located in the back of the tow vehicle (where the cameras plug in) and a cable run to the monitor that sits on the dash. The system is from Rear View Safety.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
Rear View Safety

I agree, if you are going to go wireless, then, go wireless. The system from Rear View Safety with wireless sending unit and a single camera costs $129 (free shipping and no tax out of NY State). Picture quality is more than acceptable and you can view on virtually any smart phone (Apple or Andriod). There is a slight (about one second) delay in the video transmission, but, unless you are doing something way faster than you should, it is really not a problem. In addition, if you need to talk to the folks at Rear View, they speak English and are very helpful.

Bill
topgun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2 View Post
I agree, if you are going to go wireless, then, go wireless. The system from Rear View Safety with wireless sending unit and a single camera costs $129 (free shipping and no tax out of NY State). Picture quality is more than acceptable and you can view on virtually any smart phone (Apple or Andriod). There is a slight (about one second) delay in the video transmission, but, unless you are doing something way faster than you should, it is really not a problem. In addition, if you need to talk to the folks at Rear View, they speak English and are very helpful.

Bill
The wireless camera came with the GPS unit.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
oops!

Huck,

oops, if I would have read your first post a bit more carefully I could have noticed that you said that you read the "instructions" and could have inferred that you already had a "system".

In any case, the suggestion that has already been made of wiring to the "parking lights" of the tow takes care of the "always on" problem. If your tow has a 12 volt aux plug in the back you could use that instead - but, be careful that this is a "switched" circuit so that you don't run down your battery in the tow. I wired mine inside my Oliver with a switch by the door. Not sure how to effectively and easily use two cameras, but, I'm sure that it can be done.

Bill
topgun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I bought my camera and 7 inch monitor on ebay and havent had any issues with it. Its wireless and I put a switch inside my cabinet so that I could turn the camera off when I docked and when in storage. I know there will be many solutions and answers. This is just what I did.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Back Up Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I would like to use the camera in 3 different ways:
  2. Backing up
  3. Hooking up
From reading the instructions, it seems to me that if the transmitter is connected to backup light for power, that the camera only works when in reverse. If that's true, then doesn't that mean #1 and #3 won't work?

Below paragraphs are how I think I might be able to solve problem so all 3 options are available. Please comment.

Mount the transmitter inside the tow vehicle, since it would be less than 20' from transmitter to camera. What I am thinking is running the wire from the transmitter down to the 7-pin receptacle and terminate it in it's own waterproof connector. Then have a wire running under the trailer back to the camera that I could plug in whenever I plug the 7-pin connector in. I would just tie wrap it to the trailer wiring so I would be reminded to plug it in whenever I connected the 7-pin connector.

Assuming that works, then I need a quick connect/disconnect for the camera so I can remove it from the trailer and mount on the back of the tow. This would also let me take the camera off and store inside the trailer when camping.

Question 1: What's wrong with my plan?

Question 2: What's a better way to accomplish it?

Question 3: Where would be a good place to get power in my tow vehicle for the transmitter that is on when the power is on and off when vehicle power is switched off?

Thanks
: why not install a on of switch, we turn it on when we get into the RV and do not turn it off until we stop, we see what is behind when driving, parking, backing up so we do not hit someone walking behind as they just seem to like to do as they know u cannot see them and figure u will not kill them maybe only break a leg then sue the hell out of u.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #8

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
Quote:
  2. Backing up
  3. Hooking up
    Thanks
  1. I have my van back up camera so I can turn it on when driving and will work when I put the van in reverse.
If you do this You need a diode in line with the back up light wire. This will stop the backup light from coming on when you turn on the camera driving down the road. WELL that is the way I did it..

I will say I don't us the camera while driving. Mostly just be cause I can.
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #9

British Columbia
I think my wife and a friend wired it into the Ignition so when on works when going down the hwy, same for backing up but if I put into Auxillary it also works which is the switch. We never had Backup camera until she installed this one in the Class A and it is a nice function to have we also have Garmin GPS with Camera in it taking pictures of idiot drivers up front.
Stude
Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #10

Virginia
I connected the transmitter directly to tow battery and laid the transmitter and camera on passenger seat. Then I started gps. Nothing. No camera icon. Nothing to indicate it was trying to sync.

Any ideas? This is the BC 20 wireless camera that came with the Garmin 760.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
I connected the transmitter directly to tow battery and laid the transmitter and camera on passenger seat. Then I started gps. Nothing. No camera icon. Nothing to indicate it was trying to sync.

Any ideas? This is the BC 20 wireless camera that came with the Garmin 760.
While I don't have the 760 & BC 20 camera, it appears from this FAQ from Garmin that something (a receiver?) needs to be plugged in to a video input on the 760. No idea what the BC30 is...

I'd give them a call. Long waits, but the phone help desks are much better than their manuals.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #12

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
you may also try
https://www.google.com/search?q=BC+2...w=1536&bih=800
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #13

Virginia
OK, I found the sync button. It is on the gps mount, not the gps unit. I press it and still nothing.

Just went out and tried it again. Camera icon displayed this time before I even had a chance to press the sync button. I have no idea why it finally decided to work.

Thanks Jon and Eugene.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #14

Virginia
Actually it's not working. When I press the sync button, the camera icon does display, but the camera doesn't display anything.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:43 AM   #15

British Columbia
Turns out were direct wired where as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
I think my wife and a friend wired it into the Ignition so when on works when going down the hwy, same for backing up but if I put into Auxillary it also works which is the switch. We never had Backup camera until she installed this one in the Class A and it is a nice function to have we also have Garmin GPS with Camera in it taking pictures of idiot drivers up front.
Stude
: set up your system wireless so we cannot help you from here.
Stude
Old 12-14-2015, 03:01 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Actually it's not working. When I press the sync button, the camera icon does display, but the camera doesn't display anything.
Can't really help you with the camera other than be the fly in the ointment as I'm old school. Going down the road the side mirrors work fine and I don't worry if someone is close behind me. If I'm going to back up and didn't get a good look at the area I want to be before I stopped forward motion I get out and look. I also do a walk around before pulling out after being parked for a while, like at a food stop ect. Because I once found a young child standing between the truck and trailer, go figure. I'm sure the #40,000 trailer wouldn't have noticed. Hitching up, sometimes I get it in one shot, mostly I have to get out a few times. I know a number of folks here use cameras and I'm not stepping on anyone's toes but my mirrors won't short out . If I was to add a camera, I would pull power from a source only hot with the key on and put an on/off switch in line also. Probably using the backup pin as few trailers have backup lights anyway. Good luck to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote