Campers for tall people - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: Amanda
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Louisiana
Question Campers for tall people

Hi, campers! My husband and I want to start camper camping. I camped with my family extensively from birth, but once I moved away from home, did tent camping only. My husband hasn't camped in campers at all. That's just a little camping info.

My question is - what's the best option for campers for people 6 feet tall? I would love a 13 foot Casita, but that may be a bit unrealistic. Thinking about the height of the camper and the bed as well. I'm 5'6 but my husband is 6 feet and we both want to have enough room to stand up and sleep comfortably.

Thanks for any suggestions of things to look at or things to avoid.

Camper Ann
Camper Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
The Casita 13 (discontinued) and 16 (possibly soon to be discontinued) are like 5'11 inside. I'm 6' if I unslouch a bit, and was OK in the 16. they are so tiny, you don't DO a lot of standing around in them.

the Casita 17's are 6'1 inside, you just have to duck a bit under the door (if I'm wearing a hat, I've bonked my head, no hat, no problem). I'd suggest the Independence version with the twin beds that can be converted to a king for the most sleeping room

Our Escape 21 is 6'3" inside and really roomy for the two of us, with a almost-queen bed.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi, I am 6' and have a scamp 16'. The scamp is about 6' 3" a little less. I walk upright all around except under the roof top AC. For sleeping we took the rear dinette cushions out and we put a permanent regular Ikea foam mattress in, single 39"W about. Wife sleeps there and I sleep on the side dinette bunk. That way we do not have to climb over one another to use the bathroom at night. We are on the other side of old. I like the side dinette bunk B/C it is plenty long. Good Luck, Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ann View Post
I'm 5'6 but my husband is 6 feet and we both want to have enough room to stand up and sleep comfortably.
This is a point that many forget. It's not just the ability to stand upright inside, but to stretch out and sleep comfortably. Many smaller trailers don't have adequate bed length for taller people - particularly if they are narrower and the bed is oriented sideways. Some manufacturers work around this by orienting the beds lengthwise, but in such a small trailer that eats up a ton of interior space, usually sacrificing what little cooking or counter space there is. We love our Escape because it not only has adequate headroom, but an 80" long full Queen bed.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
im 6'0" and i fit fine in the 2013 scamp 13, have to very slightly duck for the ac, can sleep on the dinette bed or the front buck.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #6

Louisiana
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #7

Louisiana
Thanks so much!
Old 09-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
We have a Casita 17' Liberty deluxe which is over 6' tall and has the beds that can be configured to twins or a king. I'm pretty sure the Independence is permanent twins that are a little wider than the twins you get with the Liberty. I've never heard that the Independence can be converted to a king, but I could be wrong.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
If you're looking for an older rig, try a 17-foot wide body Burro. My 6-1 husband hunches a bit standing up inside but with the four-person dinette down into a permanent bed, it's 54 inches wide but there are gaps head and foot between what was a queen-size foam mattress (we cut it to fit the curve at the back) and the outside walls. I'm 5-7 and we both can stretch to our heart's content. And it's for sale, but we're a bit far apart. We've loved spending lots of time in Louisiana though!
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
To get what we wanted with my wife over 6 ft and unwilling to stoop and to have her hair drag on the ceiling the 16 ft Scamp was the answer.
BUT another of her "demands" was to not have to crawl over one another to the mandatory stand up bathroom in the middle of the night.
Scamp has never made a trailer to fit this requirement SO.
When the floor was replaced a new layout was designed.
1. Twin beds
2. Front bath in the center of the trailer where the headroom was greatest.
3. No propane inside the trailer.
4. Headroom.
5. Headroom.
We left out the stove / cook top and installed a convection microwave over the 12/120 volt refrigerator.
Installed a minisplit heatpump to not cut into the headroom.
Custom layout and with the 4 months + we spent in the Scamp and the 9200 miles traveling so far it has worked for us.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
On the subject of Casita Liberty, I owned one. Their twin beds are 23 inches wide whereas a regular twin is 39 inches. The “twins” on the Casita Independence are wider but still well under real twin width.

All the manufacturers are pretty loose and fast with bed size name. It’s not limited to Casita for sure! The standard bed on a Scamp is slightly larger than s twin and the optional big bed is slightly larger than a double but under the size of a queen.

Many of the manufacturers conveniently leave off bed dimensions.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Try a ParkLiner. Ours has a 6' 6" headroom. and a queen size bed and side dinette. They are currently not in production but are supposed to making a larger model for 2019.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
I am 6'2...other than being aware of enter/exit, I have no problems in our 17FD...keep in mind these are small areas and to make the most of your camping adventure, you must spend a big part of your time outdoors...there simply is not enough room inside to just "live" there.
We have made our bed permanent by putting an 8" thick, firm foam mattress there and use the side dinette in the FD for our seatting needs...you only have a narrow ailse between the bed and bathroom.
The bed is only 76" long and while tight will work...we use a king at home and make do(quite well) in the camper...it is a compromise but, consider, you have your entire "house" squeezed into about 84sq feet...
If you can, you really should try and get by a FG rally to see various sized campers.
The 17' Casita is an excellent compromise of size Vs cost, towability, maintenance and ease of use...a ginormous 5th wheeler it ain't...
We truly love our Casita and while we would look at an Escape 19 R 21, look is about all we would do. You really need to consider spending most waking hours outside to make the best use of your experience, going in for heavy rain, maybe meals and sleeping...we do most of our cooking, eating, dish washing and general "hanging out" in the outdoors, which after all is why we are camping.
...apologies for being long winded............
madjack

p.s. when we do go indoors around 10, we sit at the dinette and play cards or dominoes, maybe even watch a DVD or tv(if signal available)...one of the big pluses is being able to access drinks and snacks without getting out of chair.......mj
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #14

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
We have a 17 Burro and the bed is the best for comfort we have ever had, I am 6'6". You do need to learn to duck to enter and exit the trailer due to the body curve. We just purchased a Big Foot 21 ft and will be modifying the rear bed. We have owned a Scamp and it just was not long enough or wide enough for us to sleep comfortable. Be picky you will be out there for recreation.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #15

Name: Dustin
Trailer: LOOKING
Michigan
I am 6'1 and fit very nicely in our EggCamper.

There are less than 300 made but if you can find one, the space in it is very nice! 6'7 inside and a wide isle...also no carpet on the walls.

Dusty
photodusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have owned a 1999-16 ft Scamp STD . a 2013-17 ft Casita SD and a 2018-21 ft Escape
I am 6 ft 2” and have not had a problem with the height on any of the three except for bumping my head on the door frame .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
My 1994 Bigfoot 17' Gaucho model has 6' 4" headroom.

The dinette bed is 79 x 43 and the Gaucho bed is 76 x 43
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #18

Name: Vince
Trailer: Toyota Odyssey
California
Lil Snoozy
6'4" interior head room
Queen size bed (63"x79")
Specs & Pricing | Small Travel Trailer | Lil Snoozy
Harlan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #19

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Head room

Our Boler 13 footer has ample room for my 6 foot, 2" body, but just. A 6 foot person, NO problem unless wearing heels! Lol!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #20

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Wisconsin
We bought an Egg Camper made in Michigan. Is 6'7" tall and bed length is 88" long. Works great for my husband that is 6'4" and me at 5'11". We love it. No longer being made but we bought a 2015 last summer from a post here.
Sharon in WI is offline   Reply With Quote