Campground electrical connections??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
I think I remember reading somewhere that the 'ground' down wiring meant that the 'ground' wire would be the last wire 'accidently' pulled from a connection, thereby making it safer??
MAYBE I'm (yet) again WRONG in my thinking???

Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #16
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I stand corrected!

The NEC code makes no reference to 'convience outlet' orientation for either residencial or commercial construction.

I do not have access to the NEC code so I read Chapter 15 of the 'Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers'. No reference there either.

I ask the electrical contractor doing the remodeling of our guest bathroom. He said, "If the NEC code referenced the orientation of convience outlets it would move it from the practical to the philosophicalbecause if a large group says one orientation is up, there would be another equally large group that says it should be the other way around. We customarily put the 115 VAC outlets with the neutral down even though there's no code about it. The others we put in every which away."

I ask the architect that put some notes about convience outlet orientation on the electrical layout drawing for my house. He said, "I do that to keep from having arguments with the installers when they put some in one way and others in the other way. That's the only way to make the orientation consistant. Besides the template I used to create the drawing shows it that way."

I went and looked at the Electrical Wiring template in the VISIO design software that I use and he was right. That's the way they are shown.

To each his own!

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
I think I remember reading somewhere that the 'ground' down wiring meant that the 'ground' wire would be the last wire 'accidently' pulled from a connection, thereby making it safer??
MAYBE I'm (yet) again WRONG in my thinking???
The orientation of the plug is not supposed to make a difference in which post of the plug makes contact first or last. The ground post is slightly longer than the other two posts and if the plug is pushed/pulled straight in/out will be the last to lose contact. The internal design of the outlet also favors the ground post being first/last to lose contact. Mechanically a great deal of force would need to be used to disconnect the ground post while one or both of the other two were still connected. Probably resulting in the outlet or plug being damaged.

On the other hand an old deformed plug or broken outlet will defeat the safest designs man can come up with.

Yes, I agree, with the ground post orientated down, the ground post is even more likely to be the first/last contact made
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
On the other hand, the reason I have been given for putting the ground pin up is that there is less chance of the ground pin breaking off due to the weight or other downward pressure on the cord. I know the electricians working in my area all wire ground pin up.

I suspect there are good reasons supporting either orientation, although most of the older installations seem to be down & newer ones up.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
The only missing ground pins I have seen were the the ones my dad cut off in desperation! That was back in the 70's when grounded outlets were harder to find. I probably would have done the same.

Today the ground pin is longer than the blades, so it should be the last to pull out in either orientation. I would also expect it to be a lot sturdier than the blades because it's a cylinder.

Planning our next Escape!
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote