Campground fees - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 AM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Campground fees

I just spent a week on the Jersey shore breeding my doggie. I boondocked the whole time. Towards the end I was debating paying for a campsite just to dump my tanks and top up water. It turned out I had enough water to make it home.

There is only one free dump station in New Jersey.

So my question is. What are the typical fees for camp sites and dumping ?

Most campgrounds I've looked at were. $40 or more with no discounts on weekends. Most offer things I don't need or want like power and cable TV.

I never inquired about dump fees. If you don't use a campsite, what are the typical Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406194332.759219.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	74030Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406194350.770198.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	74031Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406194369.015295.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	74032dump fees in that case ? $5? $10?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #2

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Do a search for rv dump stations and you will find several sites that show dump stations and fees. I don't know if it is this way with all national park campgrounds, but the ones I have stayed at have free dump stations nearby.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #3

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I would say that fees are all over the map. Priciest is usually a private enterprise RV park where you'll get full hook-ups and (usually) a nice bathroom, shower, laundry room, TV, WiFi, etc. Maybe some other amenitites like a store or swimming pool. They can be anywhere from $30 to over $75 a night depending on how fancy they are. I think next in price would be State Parks. Thay may have full hook-ups or not or or some combination of hook-up and dry sites. Most, but not all , will include the use of a dump station in the cost of your fee. Prices run about $18 - $30, at least in the places we've gone. Next would be National Parks, USFS and other federal campgrounds. They can be free to inexpensive. We've usually found dump stations at National Park campgrounds. Some offer hook-ups, but not all. USFS campgrounds tend to be bare bones - just pit toilets and you get water from a common stand pipe(s). Of course "boondocking" is free! In our state many rest stops along major highways have free dump stations. Sometimes a private enterprise RV park will let you dump for $5 or so as will the Nat'l. Parks and State Parks. Also, remember that many private enterprise parks will give you a discounted price if you stay for a week. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I think Michigan State Parks may require a day pass (about 8$) if you don't have an annual pass already. This is the pass to enter for day use at beaches and picnic areas.

If I recall to only use the dump station requires that pass and nothing else. won't swear it is the same as I recall but I think with the day pass one could also use the showers and restroom. So if camped in a nearby rustic site one could drive to the main park and use the facilities. Worth knowing if you have been boondocking for three days and want to freshen up before heading out in public.

The same pass is required to enter the park for camping, site fees are an additional charge that depend on site amenities. I think the annual pass is $24 at the park but only $10 if purchased with your Michigan license plate. Y'all tourist pay more ;-)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #5

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
That is what I was going to suggest Roger. In most places a day pass will give you access to most ammenities. I don't seem to recall any public campground where the day use and campgrounds were totally separated. Granted there are some day use only parks.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I think Michigan State Parks may require a day pass (about 8$) if you don't have an annual pass already. This is the pass to enter for day use at beaches and picnic areas.

If I recall to only use the dump station requires that pass and nothing else. won't swear it is the same as I recall but I think with the day pass one could also use the showers and restroom. So if camped in a nearby rustic site one could drive to the main park and use the facilities. Worth knowing if you have been boondocking for three days and want to freshen up before heading out in public.

The same pass is required to enter the park for camping, site fees are an additional charge that depend on site amenities. I think the annual pass is $24 at the park but only $10 if purchased with your Michigan license plate. Y'all tourist pay more ;-)
Michigan non-resident annual pass is $31 this year. I know because I bought one.

Oklahoma state parks do not require a pass for day use, so it would be possible to dump, fill, and probably shower for free.

I think many private rv parks will let you dump for $5 or $10. Of course, if you are traveling in other areas besides NJ you may find more free dump sites anyway. I assume you are aware of the website Sanidumps: United States of America RV Dump Stations and their phone app? They do list a few free ones in NJ as well as some that charge a fee. I see a free dumpsite at the I-295 rest area near Carney's Point, for example.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Newfoundland provincial parks required a pass ($18) but seniors received 1/2 priced camping ($9-14). In Maryland you can get a lifetime, senior pass, similar to the National Park Pass by applying to Maryland.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #8

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Can I ask where you found to boondock on Jersey shore ??

Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #9

Connecticut
I have an app listing free overnight spots.

I spent one night at a rest stop on the Garden State parkway (not listed in my guide), one night at each of two different Walmarts--one was only 3.1 miles line if sight but it took me over 35 minutes to get to it, the other was an 11 mike trip but faster to get to, one night at a Campersworld.

I found one park on the water at the end of a steep street and asked the people next door if they minding me parking there one night. There was just enough room for me to fit. I showed my military ID and told them I'd be gone by 9AM and they said fine and asked me not to tell anyone about it. I liked the spot because there was a concrete seawall so I did it have to put out my scissor stairs.

I was hoping Campersworld could fix my jacks but they didn't seem to want to do it. I did not ask in advance to spend the night there and the next night the gate was closed. I wanted to buy something there to say thanks but they had very little in the way of truck camper gear and didn't seem to want to work in my jacks. Anything I ordered would be in after I left the area.

During the days I went to several different parks. Once I drove to Delaware and hiked at at park bordering Pennsylvania with a lady friend.

Generally it was good times, but I found five ticks crawling around, three on me and two more in my camper so I bathed , dried, and gave both dogs a frontline treatment and then sprayed them, and washed all my bedding and clothes which got rid of them. Still that part creeped me out. I saw more ticks there in a short period than I ever did in Connecticut.

I was disappointed there was only one free dump site and none anywhere near me. I managed to get home and dump there--my usual place. Connecticut has a few free places at rest stops which are conveniently located on highways. I do wish I had bigger tanks. My great water fills up fast. Most places I don't feel comfortable using the outside shower.

I would not mind $5 to dump tanks. $10 or more to dump seems excessive.

Most campgrounds seem to want a lot of money to provide things I don't want, or else I'd use them more. I don't need power, water, or cable TV. I can get along fine on a tent site. If they charged me a reasonable fee, I would stay at these.

To date I have not paid to camp anywhere and boondocked exclusively this year. Given a choice I'd rather pay $65 for a motel than $40 for a campsite.

Other places I've stayed for free: A YMCA summer camp when it is not in session--I called in advance and explained what I was doing. The guy just wanted to meet me and my dogs. I explained I would pull in, sleep and leave after walking the dogs in the morning. I've stayed at several other Walmarts, hotel parking lots, rest stops, and in friend's driveways. There are some people that offer free camping at their homes but I have not used those at I've often found closer places.

Before I go to an area I list a bunch of possible locations like boat ramps and the above.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #10

Connecticut
I could have stay at the Air Force base. It was a bit of a drive. The cost was $10 and they had a free dump station. I would have used more fuel than it was worth to go there.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #11

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Some State Park campgrounds limit the use of campground restrooms ,showers laundry ,and dump stations to registered campers only .The possession of a State Park sticker alone is not sufficient . There are often permanent signs stating this at the shower bldg ,dump station ,laundry and trash dumpster
Old 07-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #12

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
One of the problems we ran into was in a Florida SP . My wife and I were camping for several days and needed to do laundry but from 8 AM to 2 PM the laundry facilities were tied up . Found out from the Park Ranger that the locals use the parks laundry like a laundromat . The charge for doing a load of laundry in the park was less than half of what the laundromat in town charges. The laundry was for those camping in the park only but there are allways those who abuse any system
Old 07-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #13

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
on the other side of the continent....

in BC, Provincial Parks charge around 20 dollars a night in summer, half of that in winter....no hook-ups...most only have outhouses (the ones near larger centers can have bathrooms and showers)....the sites generally offer more privacy than commercial campgrounds....there are also "rec sites" that are free... with maybe an outhouse...very primitive, generally "maintained" by logging companies as a goodwill thing

comm. campgrounds run from 25 to 35....with "trophy" campgrounds charging as much as 50-55....cut those prices in half for winter rates

as expected, dump fees are "all over the map"...some municipal are free, some business-attached are by donation to some cause (the goodwill thing again)... provincial parks, if available, charge 5 bucks....some gas stations are free with fill-up

Around where (I live in the "bush" compared to NJ) there are lots of possibilities for "boondocking" (I hate that term, preferring bushwacking)......"guerilla camping" (overnighting in developed areas) I haven't had a lot of experience with yet but I can imagine a few easy ones...

living on an island (Vancouver Island) ferry terminals are naturals....time your arrival for a half hour after the last scheduled ferry departure...drive up to the closed toll booth, get out, walk around looking at your watch looking dissapointed (schuks, missed the ferry!) and stay the night....set your alarm for a half hour before the next day's first ferry run and pull a U-turn out of there... you're on the waterfront and in a lot of cases within walking distance to just about everything

Drink beer??? Pub parking lots seem like another easy one (if not right downtown) if one doesn't mind a little noise....seems to me that pub owners would actually welcome (if not officially) a presence in their parking lot at night....and if some NIMBY complained and some form of authority showed up to move you along you could always say that you've have "a few too many" at the pub and could be charged with impaired driving if you were forced to move the rig....sort of a mexican stand-off that would probably result in a "Well ok, but next time don't park here"...

Being an old "construction guy".....any industrial park seems like a no brainer....Who's going to hassle you there?....lots of places to park after 6pm and dead quiet....I'm wide awake at 6am so I'd be gone before the place gets busy

One could also drive around until you find the spot where truckers with sleepers overnight in a particular town....every place has one...somewhere

Cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
bent.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #14

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

After Michigan spends millions to entice people from out of state to visit, they heap on additional charges... good news for private campgrounds and for states like Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, or Kentucky who offer gorgeous destinations for a lot less. Don't forget COE sites which are among the finest in the country. Proving once again that "Its Good To Be Alive Here" applies to more than Michigan!