Campground rules? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
We can squeeze some of the kids in my Chevy Tahoe for a 2 week camping vacation but there's no way they will all fit in my 16' camper. Do most campgrounds allow you to pitch a tent outside the door or do you have to get two spots? Don't some CG's have one area for RV's and another for tents? Trying to figure out how to do this.
One idea I had is to get sides for the awning and put some of them there and some in the Tahoe with screens on the windows. What's your reaction?
Not sure how many are going but between 3 and 5 of the little joys! They swear they can tolerate the trip with their games and enjoy being with all of them. We have been camping with 3 tents with them before but we took the larger Suburban and it has 170,000 miles and not set up for trailer brakes.
Any ideas on how to camp?
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 72 Boler
This from a Scout Leader

Your idea of a screen room is a good one, but I would also get
some cheap flat sheets that you can put around the inside so as
to give them privacy, and your idea of some in the vehicle is good to
I would put the little ones in it much safer as you can lock it.

Tents are good if they will let you do that.

Idea- go to the AAA and get their guide to campgrounds and phone a few
aroud where you will be and ask them about trailers and tents in same area
that will give you a good head start as to what to do.

Lew
Lew King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
In my experience almost all sites we have camped at allow 1 tent along with an RV per site. Shouldn't be a problem. Only exception that comes to mind is an RV Park - the ones paved and padded for houses on wheels.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
Last summer we took our 15-yr old grandson on a trip with us from Iowa, north through Minnesota, across N. Dakota and back across S. Dakota to Iowa. We stayed in private, state park, corps of engineer and National Park campgrounds and none of them had a problem with our grandson sleeping in his little pop up tent. We always asked if it was OK and everyone said it was fine. I'm sure there are some places that wouldn't let you have a tent, but we didn't find any. Our Scamp only sleeps two so the tent was a necessity. We had a great time!
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I agree with Rick...call ahead. We have several private parks in Oregon that don't allow anything off the asphalt. No tents, no screenrooms, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Sound like if I call ahead and research I suppose I'll be OK
Thanks
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I agree with Rick...call ahead. We have several private parks in Oregon that don't allow anything off the asphalt. No tents, no screenrooms, etc.
Those sound like the fancy places Donna. Not even allowing a screen room?!
Maybe that is why I don't do many private parks

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Those sound like the fancy places Donna. Not even allowing a screen room?!
Maybe that is why I don't do many private parks
Not necessarily fancy, but very clean. The one in particular I'm thinking about is in Sisters, OR..which is high desert. They spend a bunch of money keeping the grass around the campsites green and don't want tents and floored screenrooms killing the grass. Even their picnic tables are on concrete pads. I can attest to the need...most campgrounds get pretty dusty by late summer. Okay so maybe it is highbrow...it's a favorite of the huge motorhome crowd.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Our 21 year old daughter likes to camp with us sometimes. She COULD stay inside our trailer at night but it would make it pretty crowded. In the summer, she takes along a tent and pitches it outside. She likes the privacy of having her own space.

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Call ahead is always best, yes. Out here in the hinterlands, most government run places (Forest service, State etc) will allow such things. I have seen buldgies surrounded by 3 or 4 tents in the Forest service sites here. They have a limit on the # of PEOPLE, but not on the dwellings. (As long as only one is an RV)

We also have county campgrounds that do NOT allow this if the campground has hook ups. They have seperate areas for rvs and tents, like whole different loops. I am not sure why. (Maybe to keep the purists of one ilk or the other from killing each other )

If it's a total dry campground, then rvs and tents can mix.

This actually kind of makes sense to me. I have seen tenters in what was obviously intended as an RV site that block the use of the site for rvs. I have also seen tenters with electric space heaters etc in torrential downpours, and that just doesn't seem real safe to me. Maybe the gubbmint is protecting them from themselves.

The private one I like to go to in Lytle Creek here will allow just about anything. I have even had 2 trailers in one spot before.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi Chris!

By all means, take them. And love every minute of it!

Long ago, when we first started out in fiberglass rigs, we gave our almost-grown kids the option "stay home ... or come with us and sleep in a tent." For reasons that escape me, they usually chose to stay home alone.

However ... now that they are grown, with spouses and kids, they often will meet up with us ... and camp in tents pitched on our site. Sometimes you have to pay extra for the "second camping unit" ... but that's rare.

Most the time, it's perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't call ahead and ask. I'd just "do it and apologize later and offer to pay a little extra."

We give the female members of our tenting group "middle of the night bathroom" privileges. The boys have to use a tree or trek down to the public facilities.

And of course, we've had several "raining cats and dogs" campouts where everyone piled into the Casita for dinners, naps, etc. Makes for a memorable campout.

When our son was in college ... we'd go visit him and camp nearby. I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall ... he's taller ... and he often ended up crashing with us ... even sleeping in our Liberty Deluxe's queen size bed.

The more the merrier. Sure, it's tight. But the more the merrier.

Our grandkids are still too young for us to take on an extended trip ... but our plans include me sleeping in the trailer while my wife, Pam, sleeps outside in a tent, with the grandkids.

Hey, you wouldn't want them wandering off in the middle of the night. And since I'm too old to sleep on the ground, I volunteered Pam for the job.
Charles Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
While I appreciate Gina's point about not wasting serviced sites on campers who cannot use them, I have also seen some irrational elitism in site assignments. One campground reserved all of the power-serviced pull-through sites for motorhomes, power-services dead end sites for trailers, and non-serviced sites for tents. All were the same price. If I were tenting but had a powered cooler I would certainly want a powered site. In this case, I was pulling a (folding) trailer, and refused to back it into a site which would be far more easily used by a motorhome - I took a "motorhome only" pull-through site.

I agree that checking in advance is a good plan. While too many people packed on one site would be annoying for neighbors, a small trailer plus a tent or two should be no worse than a large trailer by itself, and seems like a reasonable arrangement.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote