Camping List - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
holy crap
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I pack what I think I'll need (and remember), and and double-check that I've remembered to bring a credit card so I can buy anything I need along the way.

Don't over-think it. Load up and have fun!

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It took me 12 years, but I think I've finally figured out a method to stop hauling STUFF back and forth. I'm keeping my trailer packed. Bought some new stuff, took duplicate stuff from house to trailer, stuff from Scamp to 5.0TA and shopped at second-hand stores and garage sales. Other than a couple of very specific items, the only thing I need to go camping is to grocery shop for fresh food.

Previously, I found getting ready to camp exhausting and then getting back home... just as bad. I thought trailer camping was supposed to be easy!

For instance, I'd get home from camping, wash the dirty clothes, towels, etc. and put them away in my home. Time to go camping, go through those drawers, pack in totes and back in the trailer. WHAT was I thinking!? I only use those clothes, towels, etc. when I camp... just wash them and put them back in the trailer!

Okay, so I'm a late bloomer.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Donna,
I think you have it right. Going camping should be enjoyable, not exhausting!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #25

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
We do the same thing Donna.
The only thing we need to do to go camping is very some fresh food, grab our travel kits snd dog food and we're off.
I even keep a duplicate set of tools in the scamp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We too keep most things in the trailer, but not everything.

Some basic clothes, mostly footwear and outerwear, but everything else is brought specific for a trip.

Things like guitars, camera gear, bikes, books, food, all get packed up before each trip. Using our list, and many years of experience, it does not take all that long. Menu planning and food likely takes as much time as everything else put together.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The problem with keeping the trailer in the driveway is that it tends to become the pantry for the house.
I often discover I have no #4 coffee filters in the trailer because we ran out at home.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #28

Registry
Trade in the paper filters for a reusable one. Not only will you save the environment, the coffee tastes brighter, as paper filters out some of the oils. That way you can have one in each place. 'tis what I do. Win-win.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #29

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
I took everything I thought I needed on the first couple of trips. I then made two lists. One of the stuff I took and didn't use or need and the other of stuff I didn't take and needed or wish I had. I now don't use any list. Everything I need for camping except for food and clothes are kept in the trailer or on designated shelves in the garage.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #30

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We use an Word file table for our gear list - but it also identifies WHERE each item is located - coded for specific cabinet/closet/hatch.

Most food items are on a separate list depending on what we plan to make. Clothing is on a separate list depending on weather and destination. Like others, we have a generic list of EVERYTHING in the trailer and truck which is then edited for the upcoming trip.

Most things remain stored in the trailer and the checklist is used to confirm they are still there and/or sufficiently stocked. The list is 4 full pages long.
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #31

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
I'm just happy if the kids are accounted for and my wife is still smiling. Everything else is gravy.
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #32

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Like a lot of people who have responded to this thread, we have a list (made with Excel) that we use when getting ready for a trip. As we put something into the trailer or check that it's already there, we cross it off the list. It has both trailer camping and tent camping stuff on it so some things get crossed off immediately (like the tent, camp stove, and Thermarest pads if we're going with the trailer). A list provides peace of mind that you haven't forgotten something. Some things we've found over the years:

1. Don't take too much food. There are grocery stores along the road ya know. We used to take way too much and always came home with uneaten food that just had to be hauled back into the house.

2. It's better to go with too little than with too much. If we haul something on three or four trips and still haven't used it, we discard it.

3. Keep it simple. We have just the bare complement of dishes, silverware, cookware, etc. Same with clothing. Even on a long trip we try to take a minimum of clothing and what we do take is functional and multipurpose. Convertible pants, the kind with zip-off legs that turn pants into shorts, are great.

4. We don't leave clothing, bedding or linens in the trailer. Here in the PNW, it's just too damp, especially over the winter months. Things get mildewy and musty. If the trailer is going to sit for several months over the winter, I even bring the cushions into the house for storage. Packaged food can get stale too.

5. And finally, don't freak out if you forget something. If you forget something, well, just make do. As we pullout and start heading down the road I always review that I have the important stuff - my wallet with driver's license, cash and credit card; my cosmetic bag with soap, shampoo, comb, toothpaste, toothbrush, prescriptions & deodorant; coffee and coffee maker; my camera and camera gear; and my sleeping bag and pillow. Everything else is gravy!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Trade in the paper filters for a reusable one. Not only will you save the environment, the coffee tastes brighter, as paper filters out some of the oils. That way you can have one in each place. 'tis what I do. Win-win.
On the other hand some of us camp to camp not to do a lot cleaning chores. We use as much disposable stuff as possible, paper plates, plastic flat ware, paper bowls, etc.etc. Soft drink bottles and cans go into the garbage, paper filters for the drip coffee making, easy to dispose without a lot of cleaning. We also use the kind of paper napkins that come on a roll, useful for other things too. Disposable tooth brushes, washing the body is done with disposable wipes.
This all saves on water, with only 12 gallons making it last a lot longer.

Is this better for the environment than using a lot of soap and water. Probably a toss up.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #34

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseensmith View Post
I'm just happy if the kids are accounted for and my wife is still smiling. Everything else is gravy.
Yup, you've got it right, the rest is easy
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
1. Don't take too much food. There are grocery stores along the road ya know. We used to take way too much and always came home with uneaten food that just had to be hauled back into the house.
Where we camp most of the time, there are no grocery stores nearby, and we stay for the duration of our time camping. This said, you are quite right, my wife does the food packing, and if we are gone for 5 days, we usually take back 2-3 days worth.

But, better'n going hungry. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
On the other hand some of us camp to camp not to do a lot cleaning chores. We use as much disposable stuff as possible, paper plates, plastic flat ware, paper bowls, etc.etc. Soft drink bottles and cans go into the garbage, paper filters for the drip coffee making, easy to dispose without a lot of cleaning. We also use the kind of paper napkins that come on a roll, useful for other things too. Disposable tooth brushes, washing the body is done with disposable wipes.
This all saves on water, with only 12 gallons making it last a lot longer.

Is this better for the environment than using a lot of soap and water. Probably a toss up.
It is more than the couple seconds to rinse the filter with a couple ounces of water, it is more about the enjoyment of the first cuppa coffee in the morning, and making this experience as wonderfully tasteful as possible. Always having a filter handy is just a bonus.

I just can't stand eating on paper plates, we rarely do it, and never use disposable cutlery. I do prefer to do my part to help environmentally, and don't like spending money I don't have to, is all. It is less than 60 seconds to do up a few dishes in addition to the stuff we have anyway, like the cookware. The dishwater goes to watering plants most of the time. We usually take a 5 gallon jug along with our full trailer tanks, as it is handy to have outside, as well as providing us with additional water, though have not come near running out yet.

We separate recyclables, bottles and cans to be returned for deposit back, and garbage when we can. If we have 20 people camping with us for 5 days, we end up with less than a full bag of garbage to haul away.

We very rarely shower, except for the few times we are at a real campground, but a wash basin with hot water, along with a hot cloth, sure does feel wonderful for us.

But, there are as many styles of camping as there are campers.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #36

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Hi all! I am a relative newbie to Scamping, but have been camping and backpacking my whole life. Our Scamp 13 is almost never packed full, we always have plenty of leftover space, and we are always plenty comfortable. We used to be minimalists, but now that we have the camper and stay in one place a bit longer, we have added some comfort items that I really love. I have not read every list, but here are a few things I bring that offer a high degree of comfort for their size. Some are leftover from backpacking days:

portable saw, folds down very small
Solar shower
baby wipes
long curtain that hooks from side of closet to the other side of the screen door (for privacy while changing or napping without closing door) or kitchen top cabinet area (for late night portable toilet privacy)
small portable mirror with reverse side magnified, hangs on cabinet door
reversible rv/awning mat - - love this! dirt and water fall right through!
large collapsible bowl for salads or mixing
collapsible large water container to fill the Scamp while boon docking
small, packable, lightweight hammock that strings between two trees.
battery gauge (Can't think of the proper name for this but it measures the remaining battery life)
good quality thermos - boil water once, have coffee/hot water all day
Starbucks instant coffee
individual lunchbox milk cartons, no refrigeration necessary
grate for cooking on fire
very long tongs for cooking on fire and tending fire
small LED lantern and larger battery lantern for boon docking
headlamps
bear spray (yes really)
satellite radio docking station with batteries
flip flops for campground showers
10 foot canopy for over the picnic table
awning/canopy weights: Amazon.com : Quik Shade Accessory Weight plates : Tent Weights : Sports & Outdoors

I struggled with whether to get the canopy because they seem so fragile, but after it rained every night on our first trip and I was constantly having to clean water off our outdoor kitchen, I bought it. Wouldn't be without it now. It rides on the front sofa while traveling. I make sure to use the support weights on the legs as well as the ropes with spikes for added support, and it has withstood wind and rain so far.

We have different lists for activities depending on where we are going. Sometimes kayaking, canoeing, biking, etc. Fishing always seems to be involved, though. :-)

We save space by keeping food simple, cooking on the fire, packing sporting gear in bins, and having collapsible/nesting versions of as many things as possible.
VicCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #37

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Byron, I am intrigued by the disposable toothbrushes. Why not just leave a set of toothbrushes in there?

We don't use much water for dishes. It's just us, so if it is just a weekend trip, we just wipe stuff off with a paper towel unless it is really stuck on. Maybe a disposable wipe if it needs more. Only pots and pans get the sponge. Some people can't live like that, so YMMV!
VicCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Like a lot of people, I've been camping since I was in diapers My 90 y/o mother taught me to hang on to ALL "tissue" products (except those you blow your nose on or your bottom!) and use those to wipe the dishes and pots and pans. If you're judicous, by time you get ready to "wash" the dishes... it doesn't take much water. And remember "soap bubbles" don't clean the dishes...

Sounds kinda disgusting doesn't it. But really, most of us waste paper towels cleaning the picnic table cloth, counter tops, etc. Use those to wipe your dishes...

Besides, keep those food particles out of your gray water tank and you'll keep the odors down...

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #39
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'm a duplicator - if I need something for camping, I buy it specifically to keep in the camper, even if I have one in the house. Including rechargeable toothbrush! Camping clothes leave and enter (after laundry) in a dedicated trailer tote used for nothing else. Ditto with food. I want to be able to hook up and go in under 15 minutes, having had enough decades futzing with everything to get ready.....

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #40

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
We carried two items...........

1. Credit Card
2. List of Walmart stores

LOL.......j/k well, maybe not
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote