Camping with a Dog - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #15

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Once upon a time, we took our dog/s with us when camping. That was in the olden days when no one worried much about reasonably well behaved canines. We would arrive and let the dog/s out of the car. They tended to stay quite close and we never had a complaint.

More complicated nowadays. Most of the places we like to camp have strict rules - dogs must be controlled on a leash at all times - no unattended dogs in cars, tents, trailers or campsites. No dogs on hiking trails or beaches etc etc.

Now we tend to take the dogs along for spring and fall trips only. Usually we are the only people at the campground and we let the dogs run around and have fun. This year though we were 'caught' by the Ranger (or whatever they are called) at a National Park - and he came back several times to check that the dogs were still leashed.

Looks like unless we are totally boondocking in the middle of nowhere they will stay home from here on. At the moment we aren't equipped for that - need a porta potti, I guess!

Old 05-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Once upon a time, we took our dog/s with us when camping. That was in the olden days when no one worried much about reasonably well behaved canines. We would arrive and let the dog/s out of the car. They tended to stay quite close and we never had a complaint.

More complicated nowadays. Most of the places we like to camp have strict rules - dogs must be controlled on a leash at all times - no unattended dogs in cars, tents, trailers or campsites. No dogs on hiking trails or beaches etc etc.

Now we tend to take the dogs along for spring and fall trips only. Usually we are the only people at the campground and we let the dogs run around and have fun. This year though we were 'caught' by the Ranger (or whatever they are called) at a National Park - and he came back several times to check that the dogs were still leashed.

Looks like unless we are totally boondocking in the middle of nowhere they will stay home from here on. At the moment we aren't equipped for that - need a porta potti, I guess!

This is exactly why the "strict" rules have been put in place. Dogs running free have a tendency to intimidate people, the wild animals that live there, and other dogs. Dogs running free leave their calling card(s) all over the place for people to step in. Even in the remotest areas dogs will chase and intimidate the local residents (squirrels, chipmunks, etc. etc. In some place that can be to detriment to the dog. One trail in the Columbia River Gorge became well known for ground squirrels getting the better of dogs. Dogs running loose would chase a ground squirrel along a trail that had a 50' to 100' cliff on side. The squirrel would jump off the trail to 3" or 4" ledge, the dog would attempt to follow only find its self in mid air with but rocks a long way down. Of course the Search and Rescue people were expected to recover the dog.
Another in the wild there predators, such as bear, your dog will intimidate a bear then run for protection behind you. Now you're between an angry bear and the animal he's angry at. Not good place to be.
Your pet if far better off being physically restrained as are you.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #17

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
To,anyone in the east( or willing to travel like we did) ---I highly recommend Four Paws Kingdom in Rutherfordton NC! In northwest NC, not far from Asheville and gorgeous scenery- this is a dog dedicated camp where you and your pets will be ecstatically welcomed ( kids under 2 or over 16 also welcomed). Off- leash play parks, one with a pond, agility course, walking trail and fun things for the Humans on the weekends!!!! The owners will even take your dogs for potty breaks ( minimal charge) while you sight see during the day. Animal bathing station, beautiful campsites ( also cabins and a few large trailers for rent-- we stayed in a 30 footer when we went--yep animals welcomed in there, too!). I'd be there every weekend if I lived closer!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #18

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
The Grand Canyon, has a kennel where my friends boarded their Jack Russell while we went on a 3 day hike.

I take my Lab along and plan my activities accordingly. I just have a teardrop trailer, but if I leave to take a shower, he stays in the trailer, where he is happy and quiet. The trailer is a secure place for him.

Same friends and I went to a boat festival. We took our dogs along. No dogs are allowed inside the exhibition area but there was a pay for parking place where the guy saved spots that were shaded all day for cars with dogs. We put my big guy and their little terrier (both dogs have been together a lot) in their camper, in the shade, windows open and fan on. We walked back to check on them several times. Everything went well.

For quick trips to the restroom, I leave him outside the door. He won't go in because the floor is scary, and is a very well behaved and friendly boy. He is not happy being tied up--before I got him, most of his life was spent on a chain and he was in bad shape. I try not to tie him up for very long.

It depends on you and the nature of your dog. I've traveled with dogs a lot on car trips. Sometimes rules are bent if the dog is seen to be well behaved. I have been allowed to stay in motels with my large dogs, when they had a 15 pound limit. I'd ask the manager to come and meet my dog. In one place, I had a hard time leaving because the desk clerk was having fun making my dog do her tricks.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #19

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1982 13' Burro
New Jersey
Registry
You have all brought up very good points for the rules about Dogs! My dog is never unrestrained and no dog should be! It really doesn't matter how well a dog may be trained there can always be issues. First and foremost is safety; both safety of the dog and also the safety of other individuals, dogs and other animals. A responsible owner always puts that above everything else. Let a dog run loose and you are looking for problems. Snickers travels with a kennel and a play pen as well as her leash and stroller. Understood that most people can't put their dog in a stroller but kennels and pens are made for all sizes. The pen affords the dog the opportunity of freedom without being constrained by a leash or kennel. There are many portable pens that can be purchased for a lot less then the cost of boarding and you know your pet is being cared for properly. Cleaning up behind your pet is always necessary whether at home or at a camp ground. There is no reason a well behaved dog cannot enjoy a camping trip with its people but there is also no reason for its people to not pay attention to the responsibility of good pet ownership.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #20

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
Dogs are an aggravation for most campers......their owners being exceptions.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #21

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Oh, a tired dog is a good dog. I take along a supply of tennis balls and the flinger thing, take my dog to a spot where he can go off leash, and run him until his heart bursts... He works off steam and is ready to be a calm, nice leash dog.
Retrievers are easy to work this way.

Tennis balls will work like a leash too. All his attention is on that green, slobbery ball.