Camping with a Dog - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Name: Ginny
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13 ft.
Massachusetts
Registry
Camping with a Dog

I'm new to both travel trailers and dogs. How do people deal with bringing a dog to a campground? I'd like to bring my little guy with us but I'm concerned about what to do if my husband and I want to visit a museum or local attraction. I know hotels forbid leaving a dog alone. Do campgrounds enforce the same types of rules? Can I leave a dog in a 13 ft Scamp or would it get too hot? Thanks!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Some allow, because they understand. But some don't allow it, because they have had abuse of it. Yapping dog for hours on end, displeases most of your camping neighbors.

Can it get too hot? Yup! Any rv is gonna be like a car. Can get hot real fast! I use to leave the air on for the pups. The noise kept them from barking at every twig that crunched and kept them comfortable. Good luck! Enjoy!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Guess it would depend on how your own dog will react to the situation of being left behind, and in the camper alone. State park might be a good "testing" ground where you can leave for a little while and come back, then do it again later for a little longer. Check with your neighbors to find out about any barking, how loud and how long.

I have found dogs we have owned seem to appreciate having their crates from home as a "safe" place, plus we avoid the screens being scratched at. Or god forbid a squirrel or chipmonk should be spotted. 700 years of being bred to kill rodents is not going to be held back by anything attached to an 1/8 inch of fiberglass.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #4

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I've watched people with dogs while camping and read campground rules here's my observations.

1. Most places require a dog to be on a leash maximum 6' or 8' or otherwise physically restrained 100% of the time.
2. Most places forbid dogs to be left alone in any vehicle, including trailers and motor homes.
3. Most require you collect you dogs waste (poop) and dispose of it. Usually in a dumpster.
4. Dogs are prohibited on all National Park Trails that I've seen along with many other places.

That's just some of the rules. How people treat them is a different story and how they're enforced.

1. Some people observe the length limit. A large number use the longer retractable leases. Enforcement on leash length limits seems to be nonexistent.

2. Most people will leave a dog or dogs in their RV, even when gone for the entire day. It can be annoying to neighbors if the dog(s) bark at every movement outside. Enforcement, again seems to be nonexistent, with the exception of animals left in automobiles, or pickups on hot days.

3. Most owners are pretty careful about cleaning up after their dog and carry plastic bags for that purpose. Every once in a while you'll see somebody that ignores, but not often. If seen by rangers they will enforce.

4. The areas in National Parks where pets are prohibited it is vigorously enforced. This one of those cases where if park your trailer and want to go visit, visitor centers, walk a trail, etc., you'd best leave the pet in the trailer and hope for lack of enforcement.

My suggestion... If you plan on going to someplace where you expect to be around camp or sight seeing by driving, your dog should be a problem.
If you plan on visiting places like our National Parks with some of their fine trails and visitor centers, find a way to leave the dog at home.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #5

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I think this whole subject can be really sensitive from a lot of different perspectives. Here's my take on it. If it is hot weather, I would for sure leave the A/C on in the camper to keep my furry friend safe. However, I would not trust that by itself. What if the there is a power outage or an A/C failure in my camper ? The dog could very well die pretty quickly if unattended. So if I were going to leave her in there while I was going to be gone for a few hours, I would only do so if I could find a friendly, trusted camping neighbor that would keep an eye on her.

And yes, I too am one who "leaves some noise on" in the camper for instance when I go to the showerhouse in the evening. I usually leave the TV set on for her, and generally a fan. Having that noise in there does seem to keep her from hearing every danged noise outside that she might bark at.

For what it's worth, it's probably just a last ditch effort, but I have one of those signs in the camper window that says "Pet Inside, please rescue in case of emergency".
Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #6

Name: Ginny
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13 ft.
Massachusetts
Registry
Dogs

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I think the puppy will be vacationing at the local doggie spa for our first few camping trips. That will give us time to figure out how we'll adjust to 13 ft. of space before we introduce a 12 lb. bundle of energy to the mix.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Love to camp with my dogs. They come with me, basically everywhere. Yes, there are some places that I don't go.

We have left them in the car when the weather permits, and we have also tied them up outside of restaurants while we ate.

You can work it out.
Attached Thumbnails
tas.jpg  

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #8

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
A lot of it depends on the dog as well. Our old dog, Sid, was a saint, but he was a nervous camper.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #9

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramoncur View Post
A lot of it depends on the dog as well. Our old dog, Sid, was a saint, but he was a nervous camper.
I agree. Some pets are are better at traveling. Part of the reason I bought the camper is so I could take my dog with me !

But then I already knew this little Schipperke was a great travel dog. She goes to all of our horse shows, and is totally comfortable being a "road doggy".
Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #10

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
Since there is more than one of us taking the dog(s) is pretty easy as long as we are camping somewhere dog-friendly, which usually means regional parks and campgrounds but not state or federal parks (some federal campgrounds are fine). We don't leave the dogs alone in the campsite, not tethered or in the trailer. We do use a tether in camp so that we can be hands-free when cooking, etc.

The Brat has not proven to be a happy camper in the trailer because we don't have room for her crate; we will try with her again when she can sleep crated in a tent with the boys. Monster loves to camp and sleeps nicely in the trailer or in a tent with the boys.
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #11

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
We camp w/ 3 dogs..2 small chihuahuas and a husky/shep mix. We dont usually anywhere hot (momma dont like heat). We have left the two little one's for acouple hrs. Usually take big dog along. Just know the rules where you camp and plz remember to pick up after your dog. Amazing how many people still don't get that.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I guess we have not left the dog behind at a state park, but then we go there to relax and seldom go out to attractions, we do motel camping for that at places that allow crated dog to be left alone (we ask). Tethered by us most of the time when camping unless we go for a walk.

Only problem we have encountered is our dog gets exicited when other dogs walk past the site on their walk. Mostly whines not barks but some of both.

Have gone out to eat at places with outside tables and have yet to be told having the dog with us was not ok.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #13

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Here's one of our our solutions... Kittywalk Systems

Cheers, P.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #14

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1982 13' Burro
New Jersey
Registry
My dog goes with me! If she's not welcome neither am I. When I have a place to go, I take her in her stroller! Sounds crazy maybe, but she is safe and so is everyone else. But...she is small and if I had a big dog, I would have to leave it in the camper but the A/C would be on at all times. The alternative is leave her in the car with the A/C running. I don't recommend that as a common occurrence or long periods of time for obvious reasons. If however I am on a extended vacation I do leave my girl in a good kennel or with a family member I trust.