Camping with older travel trailers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #15
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I had one fellow remark during a tour of ours. "I don't see any room for complaint here!"

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #16
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
The one sort of negative thing that has happened to is is that people are so curious about our little Scamp that they walk right up and look in the window! (Do you think they do that when they see a house they like???) Needless to say, we are very careful about closing the curtains to change clothes!!

Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #17
Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Camped at Lake Somerville, TX, I was on one side of the trailer and heard an animal in the woods on the other side. I sneaked around to get a better look and surprised a husband and wife peeking through the bushes to get their own better look! They were so embarrassed, they took off! On that same trip, I was reading outside and saw a woman who kept circling our site, looking at the trailer. She finally approached us when my husband came back from his walk.

Hmmm. It just occurred to me that maybe I'm really scary looking!

Ken: I love your carpet! Classy.

Loren: That would be a GREAT logo on a spare tire..... "No room for complaints"
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #18
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
I never turn an onlooker away. !0 feet of inside space makes for big smiles, friendly handshakes, and a pile of new friends. Some have even asked to see the little thing before it's even parked and set up. There's great rewards out there. Enjoy!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #19
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
About 5 years ago I stopped at a very fancy private park in my brand new 19' Bambi Airstream. When I went in to check in I got passed into a room with a salesman who explained all of the joys of this condo RV and that I could stay overnight for free. When I told him my rig was a TT, he pulled back the fancy brochure had given me and said this park was for motorhomes over 30 feet. I pointed out that both my Grand Cherokee andAirstream exceeded 30 feet easily.

Cut no Ice. I was shown the door. He would even let me take a brochure.

PS Four months later the Jeep and the Bambi got wrecked by a lady in a subcompact (In background). I eventually got a 13' Scamp which I like better.
Attached Thumbnails
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #20
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Last year, at the begining of spring, on a very pleasant nite, in one of my favorite campgrounds here...

I was inside at just before sundown, lying on the bed watching a movie. I had all the lights off, and there was only the glow of the TV, and the sunset, as it was dusk and my curtains were still open.

I looked up to see a face peering in the window opposite me. I knew I was the only person in this section of the campground. I Let out a stern "what the *Expleted deleted* do you think your doing" and scared the guy who jumped back. "Oh, man, I am sorry.. I didn't know you were in there.. this thing is so SMALL. It's cute". (He had an old motorhome up at another level)

I 'spose with the smoked windows and it being dark, he really could not see me, but man..the tv glow may have given it away, eh? I wasn't polite to him, but all others wanting a tour are welcome if they ask first.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #21
Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

When I was camping at Devils Lake State Park (Baraboo, WI) I got alot of people wanting tours. The trailer looks almost new after I painted it last year and people cannot belive that it is 34 years old. The interior is all original except the floor. It makes quite the impression on people with huge units. I also have a sign that I hang out on the signpost.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:15 AM   #22
Trailer: Boler
Send a message via ICQ to Jollean Send a message via MSN to Jollean
I can understand the thought of feeling a little small in a big trailers world. When we go camping with our group they all have those massive trailers. We park all together in a big circle and the little Boler looks so small. The guys stand around each trailer going over all their upgrades and features to compare who's is better. Somehow I don't feel the slightest bit left out.... Maybe its the fact that they are wrapped up in debt for a house on wheels and a massive truck to pull it. Maybe it is because after only a few years there debt ridden trailer is already falling apart. Maybe it is because they can't camp in half the sites for a lack of fitting in or that they have to pull in and out a million times before leaving enough room to get out the door. Maybe it is because they pay so much in gas each camp trip... I also don't think they truly enjoy their trailers like some of the folks on here do. They are buying perfect made trailers. We put our hard work, personal style and a whole lotta care into our eggs. So I might not have a flat screen on board, but from my camp chair next to my egg I get the clearest possible view of the best picture on earth every night...
Jollean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #23
Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
We just bought a 1983 scamp but haven't picked it up yet. I was wondering if you ever get stuck (meaning no choice offered)with the mombo trailers instead of in the trees with the tents just because technically it is a trailer? It is set up so that it doesn't need any hookups at all.
johnsoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #24
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
Don't worry about the "big" Trailers, they're just Freudian!
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #25
Trailer: 1300 Trillium
We just bought a 1983 scamp but haven't picked it up yet. I was wondering if you ever get stuck (meaning no choice offered)with the mombo trailers instead of in the trees with the tents just because technically it is a trailer? It is set up so that it doesn't need any hookups at all.
We are smaller than some tents and don't need or want hook ups. Almost always this means we have the most to choose from. But some places have their categories and won't budge.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #26
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
When I want some peace and quiet, I prefer to camp with the HUGE Bulgemobiles. Why? They never come OUTSIDE! The noisest places I've camped is next to the tenters. Why? Because they are never INSIDE.

True story
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #27
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi All
I'm new to this site... a trailer is in our future.. for sure

We tent now ... a nice 12x12 & a 10 x 15 dining tent, but I grew up around RV's so there is not much I have't encountered.
We were tenting in the states ( near York PA) & a honking huge RV pulled in. Nice

We sat in our lawn chairs & watched them get settled.

All was good until the lady of the RV started LOUDLY complaining that there was no hot water. The poor husband started checking here & ther & said HMMMMM I really don't know why.. I will have to take it to the Dealership & get it repaired.

I got up out of my chair & walked over.. asked him if he needed some help.

His response was that as a tenter what would I know about his mansion on wheels

2 min. later after I had lit his gas hot water heater, he was greatly impressed & told me that he was sorry for the rash judgment.

So .... I would think that there may be some who would look down on you, but rememer. yours is paid for... enjoy it ... have fun.

Most people we have run into have been very friendly , always willing to help, but I would suspect that these people would also not be good neighbours at home either
Paul Riehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #28
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Most people love our 2002 Casita. However, we did meet one guy in a huge motorhome at Juniper Springs Campground in Florida who thought our little fiberglass RV was a joke, and he made several nasty remarks. Fortunately for him, he didn't catch me in my younger years when I was prone to punch people out over lesser slights.

BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote