Camping with older travel trailers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #21

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

When I was camping at Devils Lake State Park (Baraboo, WI) I got alot of people wanting tours. The trailer looks almost new after I painted it last year and people cannot belive that it is 34 years old. The interior is all original except the floor. It makes quite the impression on people with huge units. I also have a sign that I hang out on the signpost.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:15 AM   #22

Trailer: Boler
Send a message via ICQ to Jollean Send a message via MSN to Jollean
I can understand the thought of feeling a little small in a big trailers world. When we go camping with our group they all have those massive trailers. We park all together in a big circle and the little Boler looks so small. The guys stand around each trailer going over all their upgrades and features to compare who's is better. Somehow I don't feel the slightest bit left out.... Maybe its the fact that they are wrapped up in debt for a house on wheels and a massive truck to pull it. Maybe it is because after only a few years there debt ridden trailer is already falling apart. Maybe it is because they can't camp in half the sites for a lack of fitting in or that they have to pull in and out a million times before leaving enough room to get out the door. Maybe it is because they pay so much in gas each camp trip... I also don't think they truly enjoy their trailers like some of the folks on here do. They are buying perfect made trailers. We put our hard work, personal style and a whole lotta care into our eggs. So I might not have a flat screen on board, but from my camp chair next to my egg I get the clearest possible view of the best picture on earth every night...
Jollean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
We just bought a 1983 scamp but haven't picked it up yet. I was wondering if you ever get stuck (meaning no choice offered)with the mombo trailers instead of in the trees with the tents just because technically it is a trailer? It is set up so that it doesn't need any hookups at all.
johnsoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #24

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
Don't worry about the "big" Trailers, they're just Freudian!
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
Quote:
We just bought a 1983 scamp but haven't picked it up yet. I was wondering if you ever get stuck (meaning no choice offered)with the mombo trailers instead of in the trees with the tents just because technically it is a trailer? It is set up so that it doesn't need any hookups at all.
We are smaller than some tents and don't need or want hook ups. Almost always this means we have the most to choose from. But some places have their categories and won't budge.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When I want some peace and quiet, I prefer to camp with the HUGE Bulgemobiles. Why? They never come OUTSIDE! The noisest places I've camped is next to the tenters. Why? Because they are never INSIDE.

True story
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi All
I'm new to this site... a trailer is in our future.. for sure

We tent now ... a nice 12x12 & a 10 x 15 dining tent, but I grew up around RV's so there is not much I have't encountered.
We were tenting in the states ( near York PA) & a honking huge RV pulled in. Nice

We sat in our lawn chairs & watched them get settled.

All was good until the lady of the RV started LOUDLY complaining that there was no hot water. The poor husband started checking here & ther & said HMMMMM I really don't know why.. I will have to take it to the Dealership & get it repaired.

I got up out of my chair & walked over.. asked him if he needed some help.

His response was that as a tenter what would I know about his mansion on wheels

2 min. later after I had lit his gas hot water heater, he was greatly impressed & told me that he was sorry for the rash judgment.

So .... I would think that there may be some who would look down on you, but rememer. yours is paid for... enjoy it ... have fun.

Most people we have run into have been very friendly , always willing to help, but I would suspect that these people would also not be good neighbours at home either
Paul Riehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #28

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Most people love our 2002 Casita. However, we did meet one guy in a huge motorhome at Juniper Springs Campground in Florida who thought our little fiberglass RV was a joke, and he made several nasty remarks. Fortunately for him, he didn't catch me in my younger years when I was prone to punch people out over lesser slights.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #29

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Everywhere we go in our 13' Scamp we attract attention! I can hardly remember a time when someone hasn't come up and asked to see inside, or asked a ton of questions about it! I have never had anyone peering in the windows (that I know of!) but people are always curious and I have never turned anyone away! I enjoy peoples reaction to the little eggs and I really enjoy showing it off! I always tell people that I have just as much stuff in the Scamp as they have in their big ole motorhome!

Now that we have 2 13 footers sitting side by side in our yard, I can not tell you how many people have stopped to look at them and ask questions! First question is always "Are those for sale?" Second question "Where can we get one?" !!

Honeslty, even if I won the megabucks, I would not give up my little Scamp for anything else!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #30

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Relax, enjoy yourself, don't give anyone else one thought. You are there to enjoy yourself and why give one precious moment to what anyone else may think?

I go to get away from people, to set up my easel and lose myself in painting. It's ironic, I bought a little camper so I could escape with my paints by myself and get some solitude...these little darlings attract more attention that any other at the campground!

Have fun!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #31

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
I am also a member of "Sisters on the Fly" the vintage trailer, fly-fishing, cowgirl caravan. I just returned from a campout at Silver Falls OR; I was in the lead on I-5 North headed to WA and ID, -- 8 vintage "canned ham" 1950 and 1960 style trailers were behind me, all painted up outside with themes and Sister Numbers painted on the outside. The folks passing us were waving and nodding, and when they came to my 1996 Scamp, they just looked! I was the one out of place because I was an egg! Of course, mine is naked even though I am Sister #442 in Idaho!

We had the press visit us and do an article in the Statesman Journal in Salem -- no one came to interview me! However, each of the sisters came for a tour -- they were facinated with my 16' Scamp! I think "eggs" might be their #2 trailer purchase! I, of course, am looking for a vintage "canned ham" as my #2 trailer purchase so I can fit in!

I really think it's all in the attitude!
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:29 PM   #32

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
I HAVE A 1985 16 FT. UHAUL VT AND I LOVE IT!!! ALWAYS THOUGHT I WANTED A BIG ONE BUT THIS IS PERFECT. A LOT OF HARD WORK FIXING THINGS UP BUT IT CAME OUT REALLY NICE. AS FAR AS BEING OUT OF PLACE, WELL MINE IS PAID FOR AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO PUT MY LIFE IN HOCK TO GET IT HA HA HA ... ONCE WE GOT THE LEAKS STOPPED ITS BEEN GREAT.. JUST ENJOY AND THUMB YOUR NOSE AT THOSE WHO THINK THEY ARE BETTER THAN YOU, SOMEONE IN MUCH HIGHER PLACES KNOWS THAT THEY'RE NOT... MAGGIE
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:59 PM   #33

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We were camped at Lake Lopez in California... There was a very friendly couple in a huge motor home.. they toured ours in a couple of minutes and then we toured their beautiful huge rig. We sat and talked to them in their easy chairs ... nice visit ...

The next day I was walking around our Casita Liberty with a wet paper towel - wiping out the band that circles the trailer and traps dirt...

He saw me and walked over ..."Don't tell me you are washing your trailer with a paper towel?" I said "Yes, don't you?"

He laughed and said" It takes me two days to wash this unit when I get home... I couldn't help but laugh... (with him)...

Sure is nice to have a small trailer with all the conveniences, and very little work.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #34

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
raunie, too bad you are so far away. there is a collection of canned hams permanently parked in the field down the road. they are used on the weekend by the flea marketeers who set up in the morning saturday, sleep, set up sunday and then go home -abandoning the ham until the next friday night or saturday morning.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #35

Trailer: 85 Casita
I have had my Casita for Three years. I originally thought from postings I read here that I should be prepared to experience campground discrimination. Several people made comments about being treated as a second class citizen at campgrounds that prefer the big rigs.
My first outing was a state park with everything from tents to diesel pushers. I got to pick my spot, and found that accomodating.During my weekend there, many people would walk by from the backside, not knowing I was under the awning on the other side, and all of them could be heard making comments(all positive) regarding my little egg. Things like: thats so cool, I wonder what's in it. Bet it's easy to pull. No problem finding a place to keep that at home. I wonder what they cost.
After day two of hearing the walk-by comments I would peek out from the other side and answer their questions. I would offer them the nickel tour, which usually ended with where can I purchase one.

I did have one experience in Canada where the campground owner stuck me in the middle of nowhere(which was okay) except the sewer connection was about 17 inches off the ground. I went back to the office and explained that there was no way my low ground clearance trailer was going to be able to drain uphill. I asked to be moved to the available sight next to mine with a sewer hookup that would work. They said no and I left and spent a week at another sight that was willing to work with me.

Regarding negative comments from users of large rigs, I have a comback(although I have yet to use it) that I bought my pristine, and I mean pristine twenty year old Casita for $3,500.00, and have had serious offers for it in the $5,800.00 range. I let them know that this peticular model sold new in 1985 for less then what I could get for it now. The next remark from me would be to remind them that once they drive off the lot with their $150,000.00 rig, it has already depreciated 30 percent. Don't have to be an economics wizard to figure out that one.
At any rate, I'm rambling. Hold your head high and enjoy your rig and the times in it.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
No negatives so far, but I've given more tours and answered more questions than I can count. I think the last couple to get the tour will buy one.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #37

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Well here's my two cents. I've had the Boler for less than a week and have it parked until I can start working on it. I was up there today and the chap across the street came right on over and asked where he could get one, how much did I pay, etc. etc. The thing is a rolling shell for pete's sake! Goes to show!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #38

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
The first time we took our '82 13-foot Scamp out, someone wanted to buy it from us! We have had visits from people with A-Liners, pop-ups and small Airstreams. They seem impressed by how much we actually have in our little Eggbert.

Sandra :wave
Hi, Sandra! I'm a Sandra too with a 13' '85 Scamp we just got from a couple in Alabama! imagine that! Our little "Eggbert" yes, we call him Eggbert as well!
We've just camped on the way back to Texas from Alabama and were always met with friendly curious people, no matter what they were in. We had everything stowed and tidied --or at least the bed straitened--for the 'tours'. We had two tent folks come out rubbing their eyes, saying "What's that?" I told them "It's a Scamp." They replied, straitening their crooked spines with difficulty, "but what's that?" I gave them the tour and now they want one! ha!
My daughter and hubby are spending their first anny in Eggbert at Garner SP, Tx and she said she could have sold 3 right there, she had so many people wanting to see it! We are thinking about buying another Scamp that needs tlc to have on hand to sell should anyone be serious! hee hee.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #39

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Fiberglass trailers are the best. I admire every design and manufactured fiberglass trailer I've seen. Scamps, U-Hauls, Bolers, Compacts, Bigfoot, etc. and etc. They're just a great idea done right.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #40

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
Just an update! Picked up my 1952 10' Rainbow trailer with all original interior, no mods, no water damage on the wood inside. The outside is another matter! It will take elbow grease, paint and stain remover, and many hours to take the "pink" paint off the outside and return it to it's aluminum finish!

I drove from Albuquerque through Santa Fe, Mesa Verde, Moab's arches, Wal-mart's, and Cabella's in Utah. When I was at Camping World in Orem, had two couples come up to me to make their "inquiry" -- what do you plan to do with it!

I think everyone "needs" two trailers -- vintage eggs and vintage canned hams! Anyway, I have my project for the rest of the summer -- our next caravan is in Kansas in October. Hope to have her finished by then.
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote