Camping with older travel trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1984
Arrow

When you arrive at a campsite what kind of reception do you receive? I have a 1984 Fiber Stream that is a little beat up but I am in the process of getting fixed up. I guess I am a little intimidated pulling this in to a campsite surrounded by these huge rv's and travel trailers that cost a considerate amount of money. Do you have any problems or am I worried over nothing. Any experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated.
dlnstidham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
We have encountered very few other campers so far with our quarter-century-old Boler, so I can't help there; however, we did rent a beat-up (but fully serviceable and reasonably clean) 1970's vintage tent trailer for a week. I was a tiny 7-foot box model. No other camper expressed any concern with the appearance or nature of our trailer, but I'll admit that was still a pretty small sample.

I would be very pleased to see a Fiber Stream at a campground, because I might get a chance to meet some nice people and learn some more about the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
We've never had a problem. In many cases, friendly folks from the hulks and behemoths come around and ask for the Grand (2.5 second) Tour of our 20 year old UHaul. Most RV people are intrigued by our little eggs, and want to know more about them. After so many questions ("Is that an Airstream?" "Do you really sleep in there?" "Does it have a bathroom?" and "Is this a Scamp?") we even made up a sign to hang on the campsite post:

In these times of costly gasoline, you'll get a lot of questions about mileage and towing costs, and your visitors will probably feel more envy than disdain. We're proud of our fiberglass egg and enjoy showing it off!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
I've always felt a little smug and superior when around those guzzling whales. I think "Didn't they leave anythig at home?" Lots of times I never see them outside enjoying the outdoors. Must be at the T.V. or worse-video games.
If your rig is a "work in progress" there's no reason you have to wait until its all finished- use it!
I really enjoy travelling in my Scamp without spending a lot of money. I do have a hard time staying in one place more than one night because its all new around the next curve.
shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #5

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
When we had the Boler - we fielded questions and guests CONSTANTLY when camping. There were a couple of negative comments (both from males) of the "well, at least it's paid for" ilk. Those were vastly outnumbered by positive comments (women *ALWAYS* declared it to be "cute!") largely commenting on it's looks, efficiency, ease of handling etc.

I'm sure many on the list have been to the RV shows. One beast is pretty much the same as the next. They're built similarly, have the same profile, similar floorplans and are built using the same darn components. Swap the nametags on them and only a real expert would likely notice.

A few trailers (Eggs, A-frames, teardrops, vintage canned-hams, Airstreams etc) stand out from the crowd and, as such, draw attention.

There are a FEW RV parks which only permit trailers of a certain size, or only so old etc (Never encountered on myself, but they've been reported here). Honestly doesn't sound like anyplace I'd even want to be.

In the 'normal' locations (National or State parks and such) I'd only worry about it if you are obsessed about privacy and are an extremely unfriendly person - because you WILL have people coming up to ask you about it!

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
[b]When you arrive at a campsite what kind of reception do you receive? I have a 1984 Fiber Stream that is a little beat up but I am in the process of getting fixed up. I guess I am a little intimidated pulling this in to a campsite surrounded by these huge rv's and travel trailers that cost a considerate amount of money. Do you have any problems or [b]am I worried over nothing. Any experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated.
From the context of your query, I would assert that you are worried over nothing. The vast majority of folks are into their own camping experience, whatever they are using. The tripple-slide $Bulgemobile$ crowd are too pre-occupied. The pop-up tent trailerites are too busy. If you work the "Airstream"-"Fiber Stream" similarity angle, you will be a campsite celebrity. Play up the "Vintage" panache, there is great interest in what you have. The styling of the Fiber Stream suggests a '50s retro look... go with it.

The only thing I would worry about initially is cleanliness. Does it look tidy? Is anything hanging askew? If it looks intact, clean, and neat, then you're home free!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If you look like Jedd Clampett and Granny when you camp, you may have some issues. If your campsite is neat and clean, you'll have more visitors than you know what to do with. While camped in the municipal campground in Spencer, IA last spring with my Scamp, I came home three times to find strangers just walking around the trailer. It was a little unnerving initially, but they just really generate a lot of interest.

You'll be fine. Enjoy yourself!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The only ("negitive,") comment I ever got with the Scamp was, "Gee I don't think they have a big enough site for your rig." LOL

I just responded, "It's small, but it beats a motel room, and I could spend my life in a motel, for what you must have paid for you RV!" That shuts them up for a while!
Elsie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have never had a negative comment on mine from anyone. I get the buldgie guys coming over to have a peak, and the regualr stickies guys too. I am asked if it's for sale quite a bit, in parks, and by knocks on my door at home.

I don't get much traffic from tent trailer campers.. they are jealous LOL!

Tent campers even like it!

I stay out of the "snooty" parks, so I guess I have been lucky with the nose sticker uppers.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Last year I went to Ft. Warden, in northern Washington, in my little 1977 Scamp. The outside still needs lots of work to get it 'spiffy'. I was parked next to a site with a bulgemobile...they had a wide-screen TV inside at least as big as my Scamp

I gave at least a half-dozen trailer tours.....no one, but no one, went over to that bulgemobile.....and we never even saw them outside, except to disconnect the power/water to leave.... A couple of months later I was at Lake Billy Chinook. A couple there said..."YOU were at Ft. Warden!!! " They remembered my little Scamp...

So, why waste your time worrying about what 'others' might think? Just go and enjoy. Life is too short....
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:26 AM   #11
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just a small sampling of the numerous comments:

Man: I've seen a lot of trailers in my life, but that's got to be the cutest thing that I've ever seen.

Woman (camp ground host): Of course, I have a forty footer, but I'm wanting to take a trip through Canada and this is exactly what I need. If you want to sell, give me a call.

Three Harley Riders at Gas station were so entralled that I had to give a tour.

Man: This is so efficient. It has everything.

husband and wife team: Wife: Hey, I need one of these. If I had this, I could go by myself.

People in general: It's so much bigger on the inside than it is on the outside!

The only problem that I have is the delays I have encountered because of "tours." You'd think it wouldn't take very long, but they are so fascinated with it that they just keep looking and looking and looking. I wish they'd approach me before I was getting ready to leave. I have learned to be amused by the different approaches people use to get an invitation to come inside.

I'm sure you're going to run into those that will turn their nose up, but I really haven't had a problem with that yet as I'm not much of a 'resort' camper anyway. I do know (as been mentioned) there are a few that limit visitors to the size and/or age.

As long as it's fixed enough to camp in, then go out and camp. You'll get to the other stuff when you can't go camping.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Seems like everytime I went camping in my 1991 13ft i was always giving tours. They would oooo and awwww then always ask if it was for sale.. I always said "no' i would tell them about Scamp and where to look to get one. Local friends here did end up buying a new one last yr and they are thrilled to dealth with it. They opt to have the bare basics, but were out about every other weekend in it last yr...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
The first time we took our '82 13-foot Scamp out, someone wanted to buy it from us! We have had visits from people with A-Liners, pop-ups and small Airstreams. They seem impressed by how much we actually have in our little Eggbert.

We have never camped in a privately owned campground so I have no idea what kind of reaction we would find there, but in the state parks & municipal parks where we've camped, we have had nothing but positive comments.

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
When we had our Boler we rarely stopped anywhere, rest stop, gas station, or, campground that we didn't have someone wanting a tour through our "cute little rig." On one ocassion the wife was using the facilities at a rest stop and a woman approached her tentatively asking if she could look inside. She could not imagine what we could do inside such a tiny outfit. Well as the fates would have it I was frying bacon and making us an omelette when she came inside. Her Jaw dropped when she saw the tiny dinette all ready for breakfast - and then she spied the full-sized bed all made up. Then, little by little she noticed the sink, the stove the fridge, the closet ... most of you know the drill. The smell of frying bacon does things for a homey effect. She fairly flew out there to get her husband. He dug in his heels and would not set foot inside. I would love to have been a fly on the windscreen in their car when they drove off. LOL

Note - this was a very early modification and we were still using folding chairs then.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_mod.jpg  
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I had one fellow remark during a tour of ours. "I don't see any room for complaint here!"
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
The one sort of negative thing that has happened to is is that people are so curious about our little Scamp that they walk right up and look in the window! (Do you think they do that when they see a house they like???) Needless to say, we are very careful about closing the curtains to change clothes!!
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Camped at Lake Somerville, TX, I was on one side of the trailer and heard an animal in the woods on the other side. I sneaked around to get a better look and surprised a husband and wife peeking through the bushes to get their own better look! They were so embarrassed, they took off! On that same trip, I was reading outside and saw a woman who kept circling our site, looking at the trailer. She finally approached us when my husband came back from his walk.

Hmmm. It just occurred to me that maybe I'm really scary looking!

Ken: I love your carpet! Classy.

Loren: That would be a GREAT logo on a spare tire..... "No room for complaints"
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1984
I never turn an onlooker away. !0 feet of inside space makes for big smiles, friendly handshakes, and a pile of new friends. Some have even asked to see the little thing before it's even parked and set up. There's great rewards out there. Enjoy!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
About 5 years ago I stopped at a very fancy private park in my brand new 19' Bambi Airstream. When I went in to check in I got passed into a room with a salesman who explained all of the joys of this condo RV and that I could stay overnight for free. When I told him my rig was a TT, he pulled back the fancy brochure had given me and said this park was for motorhomes over 30 feet. I pointed out that both my Grand Cherokee andAirstream exceeded 30 feet easily.

Cut no Ice. I was shown the door. He would even let me take a brochure.

PS Four months later the Jeep and the Bambi got wrecked by a lady in a subcompact (In background). I eventually got a 13' Scamp which I like better.
Attached Thumbnails
Bambi_Down.jpg  
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #20

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Last year, at the begining of spring, on a very pleasant nite, in one of my favorite campgrounds here...

I was inside at just before sundown, lying on the bed watching a movie. I had all the lights off, and there was only the glow of the TV, and the sunset, as it was dusk and my curtains were still open.

I looked up to see a face peering in the window opposite me. I knew I was the only person in this section of the campground. I Let out a stern "what the *Expleted deleted* do you think your doing" and scared the guy who jumped back. "Oh, man, I am sorry.. I didn't know you were in there.. this thing is so SMALL. It's cute". (He had an old motorhome up at another level)

I 'spose with the smoked windows and it being dark, he really could not see me, but man..the tv glow may have given it away, eh? I wasn't polite to him, but all others wanting a tour are welcome if they ask first.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote