Can someone look at my proposed wiring diagram? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #1

Name: Gerard
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Can someone look at my proposed wiring diagram?

I am fully redoing a Boler 1700. It will have built in bunks instead of the bathroom and closet and a queen size bed in the rear where the dining booth will be.

I have wired it up and am preparing to cover the wiring with Reflectix this weekend and would like a nod that the wiring I have installed is correct. See my drawing. Please note that I did not replace the running and brake light wiring but everything else from the entry point to the Trailer has been rewired.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  
gvanginkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:05 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Looks OK to me except you don't show any grounds on the 120v items.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:21 AM   #3
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Gerard, any overview pics of your layout. A queen size bed is impressive.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
Looks like the bed lt needs a DC ground too.
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #5

Alberta
Thanks for reviewing.

On the ac side I put single blues as this is lumex which is a 14/2 single cable with 2 conductors whereas the dc is separate runs of primary 12 and 14ga wire and pigtailed connections.

I will clean up my drawings and concepts and post shortly. We are taking the floor plan from the Utah team at Camper Repairation. They are amazing.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Looks good. Is your trailer upside down to match the wiring diagram? I just finished mine and installed 5 DC outlets. They have proven to be useful when we all want to charge our phones/ ipads/ cameras at night.

Colin
colinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Ouch

Standing on my head trying to view your diagram, my brain stopped working and I was unable to decide anything.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dont see a DC or an AC Ground
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
No trailer brakes.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's another case where you need to take it to somebody that can do the job. There's several reasons for that. One the you cause is on your nickle, the damage a company employee causes is on the companies nickle. That one good reason. One of things about trailer wiring you screw it up and not know it for months, at about the time the trailer bursts into flames. Even then you probably or even the investigators won't figure it out.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Maybe this will help everybody...

Very nice wiring diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #12

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Maybe this will help everybody...

Very nice wiring diagram.
Thanks Steve. I didn't even realize it was upside down until tonight when I was able to log in again. Appreciate that folks took the time to solve the upside down image anyways... and thanks for flipping it over.

I have a journeyman electrician inspecting it in the morning to determine it is ok for me to proceed to insulation and cover some of the wiring up.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #13

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Gerard, any overview pics of your layout. A queen size bed is impressive.
Here is a simple drawing of the plan we are using.
Attached Thumbnails
boler floorplan.GIF  
Old 09-11-2015, 02:44 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanginkel View Post
Thanks Steve. I didn't even realize it was upside down until tonight when I was able to log in again. Appreciate that folks took the time to solve the upside down image anyways... and thanks for flipping it over.
I have a journeyman electrician inspecting it in the morning to determine it is ok for me to proceed to insulation and cover some of the wiring up.
Tracing wires is somewhat a maze anyway and being upside down really didn't make any difference other than reading what the end item was. No harm, no foul
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #15

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
I don't see where your frame ground is tied to the battery ground.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If your computer has a DRAW program it would be much easier to follow, label and make changes to your wiring diagram. BTW: The little Camel Humps when wires cross are not needed. When wires cross, unless there is a big DOT at the crossing, no connection is assumed.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
The drawing looks good. BUT, I would add more 120V outlets. At least 2 outlets at opposite ends of the interior, and a weatherproof outlet on the outside so the party lites and radio can be plugged in outside.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #18

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Fj40Jim has a great ide? Make sure your outside outlet is a Ground Fault Interupter.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #19

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
second that outside outlet...

and not just for camping.....I have an outside outlet on my trailer (parked in my backyard)....and I use that outlet quite a bit (trailer is always pugged in parked at home) for all sorts of uses...saves me from running an extension cord at times....and how about vacuuming inside the trailer?...it's easy when you don't have to fight with the cord when plugged inside the trailer

and BTW congratulations for tackling this rewire job yourself....it's all part of the fun of owning one of these rigs....paying somebody else to do what I can do (or learn how to do) doesn't do anything for me...at all.

And the scare about the thing going up in flames???? well that's what insurance is for (and remember to take pictures).
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
and not just for camping.....I have an outside outlet on my trailer (parked in my backyard)....and I use that outlet quite a bit (trailer is always pugged in parked at home) for all sorts of uses...saves me from running an extension cord at times....and how about vacuuming inside the trailer?...it's easy when you don't have to fight with the cord when plugged inside the trailer

and BTW congratulations for tackling this rewire job yourself....it's all part of the fun of owning one of these rigs....paying somebody else to do what I can do (or learn how to do) doesn't do anything for me...at all.

And the scare about the thing going up in flames???? well that's what insurance is for (and remember to take pictures).
Some how I don't equate an amateur doing selfguided on-the-job training with the "fun of owning", and using insurance as the back-up plan for ones mistakes. I hope this isn't another example of the "Using Common Sense" theory I often hear being bandied about.

And insurance won't be a lot of help if an incident happens when you are on the road or if someone should be injured as a result.

Electrical and LP work is not best learned from YouTube videos or by trial and error, the risks are much greater than any possible monetary loss.

And, in some states, such as Washington, doing you own work of that scope without a required permit, can be illegal, and could result in denial of insurance coverage should there be a fire.

As we all tell our Fire Fighters, "Return Home Safe"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote