Can't get at my frost plug - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
I am a new owner of a 1980 17' Bigfoot travel trailer and I am also a first time winterizer of the same. I have got everything done to winterize, according to the manual provided however-the hot water tank, I have drained it using the valve but I cannot quite get a tool on the frost plug to remove it completely. Do I really need to remove it. As stated I have drained the tank and I live in Vancouver Canada where the coldest it gets is about tthe same as Seattle, Washinton. If I do need to remove it completely any ideas on how to get a handle on it, it is sure tucked in a very challenging spot-many thanks, R. Lamb
ROIDON L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I am a new owner of a 1980 17' Bigfoot travel trailer and I am also a first time winterizer of the same. I have got everything done to winterize, according to the manual provided however-the hot water tank, I have drained it using the valve but I cannot quite get a tool on the frost plug to remove it completely. Do I really need to remove it. As stated I have drained the tank and I live in Vancouver Canada where the coldest it gets is about tthe same as Seattle, Washinton. If I do need to remove it completely any ideas on how to get a handle on it, it is sure tucked in a very challenging spot-many thanks, R. Lamb
I'm not sure what you have done already, but if you are talking about the plastic plug on the lower left corner of the water heater as viewed from outside the camper with the door open, then all you really need is a 3/8 drive (7/8ths I think)socket with an extension and a rachet. this allows easy access around the pipe that is in the way on mine.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I have two Bigfoots and all I do is turn the plastic plug back in until it is just finger tight, after I've drained it for winter. It is a hassle to take it out but I do it after each camping trip and I use a small cresent wrentch.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Quote:
I'm not sure what you have done already, but if you are talking about the plastic plug on the lower left corner of the water heater as viewed from outside the camper with the door open, then all you really need is a 3/8 drive (7/8ths I think)socket with an extension and a rachet. this allows easy access around the pipe that is in the way on mine.

Many thanks I willl give it a try-my tool box is lacking and I guess this is a clear indication that it too needs an upgrade
ROIDON L is offline   Reply With Quote