Can't get the windows out! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
I want to remove the windows in my '77 Trillium 1300, seal using butyl tape and re-install. The galley window was easy - remove outside screws and it comes right out - there is no metal frame on the inside, so nothing to stop it.

Not the case with all the other windows. There is an aluminum frame on the inside that appears to overlap the inside wall (ensolite?). The whole window frame appears to be one piece, no visible screws. After unsticking it from the fiberglass body, I pulled at it, twsited it, etc. but no go. How do you get it out?

Thanks, Clark
Clark Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
I want to remove the windows in my '77 Trillium 1300, seal using butyl tape and re-install. The galley window was easy - remove outside screws and it comes right out - there is no metal frame on the inside, so nothing to stop it.

Not the case with all the other windows. There is an aluminum frame on the inside that appears to overlap the inside wall (ensolite?). The whole window frame appears to be one piece, no visible screws. After unsticking it from the fiberglass body, I pulled at it, twsited it, etc. but no go. How do you get it out?

Thanks, Clark
the windows went in so they will come out. First, make sure ALL of the screws are out (including the ones hloding hte curtain rod brackets on and any other hardware especially the overhead storage. the ensolite is tucked under the aluminum frame. Use a tool (scredriver/etc.) to pull the little bit out to allow the window.

If this does not give you a little room use the screwdriver or small prybar to push the wood away from the window frame

If you did this then the only thing that is holding the window in is the old grey mastic which will come apart with a flexible putty knife.

check out boler window replacement on youtube for more details. I have all of mine out except for the galley window. Only because it is actually riveted in.

PS. if you already have the caulking loose underneath. MAKE SURE that you have someone on the other side before you pry on the wood/window frame or it WILL pop out on you when you don't want it to. And they are not easy to replaace if damaged.

It sounds like I am only about 2 days ahead of you in the restorations.
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

Hi there Mike and Sarah,

I've printed what you wrote will try tomorrow. Will let you know outcome. Good luck to you with your work.

Clark

Quote:
the windows went in so they will come out. First, make sure ALL of the screws are out (including the ones hloding hte curtain rod brackets on and any other hardware especially the overhead storage. the ensolite is tucked under the aluminum frame. Use a tool (scredriver/etc.) to pull the little bit out to allow the window.

If this does not give you a little room use the screwdriver or small prybar to push the wood away from the window frame

If you did this then the only thing that is holding the window in is the old grey mastic which will come apart with a flexible putty knife.

check out boler window replacement on youtube for more details. I have all of mine out except for the galley window. Only because it is actually riveted in.

PS. if you already have the caulking loose underneath. MAKE SURE that you have someone on the other side before you pry on the wood/window frame or it WILL pop out on you when you don't want it to. And they are not easy to replaace if damaged.

It sounds like I am only about 2 days ahead of you in the restorations.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Clark,
There is a plastic locking strip below the window that is screwed on from inside. After removing this strip, the window is removed by lifting and pulling the the bottom out first.
Good luck.
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #5

OK Mike & Sarah ... Success, YES!!

I did what you said to do ... here's my two cents. I pried the ensolite from under the metal trim, both on the bottom and sides. Noticed that window frame was now more loose. From the outside, I lifted slightly and the bottom came out. Cleaned everything, added butyl and re-installed. Then used a flat, dull screwdriver blade to push Ensolite back in place. Only had time to do one window, will do more tomorrow. That Ensolite is very robust ... worried that I might pierce it but that didn't happen. It seems like it's made of crinkly vinyl wih a foam backing but is stronger than vinyl. Anybody know what it's made of?

Regarding your galley window ... did you remove it yet? Here's what I did. Screw removal was easy. I used a non-bending putty knife, hammered it between window frame and body, and with a couple of sharp blows, broke the rivets. To reinstall, not wanting to get involved with new rivets, I cut out two wood strips and glued them to the sides with contact cement. Then used SS screws to hold window in place, just like the top and bottom. One wonders why they used rivets on the sides of the galley window but screws all around on the other windows.

To David, you mentioned a plastic locking strip. No such strip on mine.

Thanks for the help people.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:28 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500

To David, you mentioned a plastic locking strip. No such strip on mine.

The trailers are slightly different models and years(mine is 1979). The strip in my trailer is about an 1" x the full width of the window. It reduces the size of the window cut out, thus the window will not come out or fall out the openning.
It would be interesting to compare models and years to see the differences. If any of you fellow FGRVers that have owned multiples, or worked on different models or years, could start a thread noting evolutionary changes. Might be fun.
Dave
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Clark Martin... The nickname for Ensolite is "Elephant hide". Now you know why!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. here's a pic or two of installing a MaxxFan
Attached Thumbnails
clamp_ring_in.jpg   MaxxFan_Finished.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi: Clark Martin... The nickname for Ensolite is "Elephant hide". Now you know why!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. here's a pic or two of installing a MaxxFan
Nice job Alf. I will check but is the MaxxFan comparable to the Fantastic Fan as to performance? Is it cheaper than the F-Fan?

Tags
windows