Can we paint our stove? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Can we paint our stove?

I did a quick search but am taking the easy route and starting a new thread. We use our stove a lot and it's in pretty good shape but I'd really love it to "match" our colors once the curtains are done. Namely, I'd like it to be bright red. I'm wondering if anyone has ever painted their stove and if so, what was used and what the results were. Again, we use our stove so my main concern is that the paint will bubble with the heat. Thanks for tips!
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They make high temperature paints for engines, which is what I used on my cook top. So far so good.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #3

Registry
Thanks, Thomas. Can I get that at the big orange store or Lowe's? My husband has used something for our old (like 50 years old) John Deere grill but it seems to still peel every year. I'm wondering if he's not using the right stuff. Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Thanks, Thomas. Can I get that at the big orange store or Lowe's? My husband has used something for our old (like 50 years old) John Deere grill but it seems to still peel every year. I'm wondering if he's not using the right stuff. Thanks again!
Yes, it is sold in the big box stores. It can't take a direct flame like on a grate, but it seems to work OK on the metal body of the cook top.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #5

Registry
Okay, I'll have a look. The stuff he's bought in the past he puts on the outside of the grill (old, cast iron) but like I said, it still flakes off. Not a big deal -- he just does it once a year, but I'm not too into that. I'll take a look at the "Dump" (home depot) and Lowe's to see what I can find without his input. Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Okay, I'll have a look. The stuff he's bought in the past he puts on the outside of the grill (old, cast iron) but like I said, it still flakes off. Not a big deal -- he just does it once a year, but I'm not too into that. I'll take a look at the "Dump" (home depot) and Lowe's to see what I can find without his input. Thanks again!
A grill cover gets a lot hotter than a cook top, so you shouldn't have any problem with heat.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
You might look into header paint. If your stovetop gets hot enough to ruin that, your scamp has became your new BBQ.
Be forewarned, most high temp paints will smoke some, and they need hea to cure. You might want to do it before hand with a heatgun, etc. I don't think you want to do that the first time you cook. I would pull it out of the camper.

They also have high temp powdercoats, that might be worth looking into.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #8

Registry
I'll look for some header paint. I know that he's using black rustoleum from Home Depot which says it's good up to 1200 degrees. I doubt our grill is getting hotter than that, but who knows. I'll keep looking and maybe even consider going to automotive parts stores. I was planning on taking the thing out, for sure and I guess I'll invest in a heat gun if necessary. I might find someone who has one, actually. Regardless, do you think after I heat them up that they'll give off fumes later? Just curious since it will be near/around my food. Thanks for the tip, Jared!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #9

Kansas
I can't guarantee anything, but I would be surprised. After the first time or two on headers, it doesn't smoke anymore, and they are MUCH hotter than the stove top will ever get. That's why I suggested a heat gun, that paint actually will never truly cure, otherwise.

Edit: Something like this. This is flat red, not sure if they have gloss or not.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vh...FQmmPAodOG4A8w

Good for 2,000*. they say for bbq's, so should be ok around food once cured.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #10

Registry
Okay, I'll do a bit more research and give it a try. I've seen some ceramic "kits" that seem pretty legit and then also noticed that VHT. I'll go to an automotive place and see what they say. I also wonder if I can have it done professionally (dipped) at an affordable price. Probably not, but I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #11

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Look online for fire place stove paint. Its generally availible in a lot more colours then the local big box store will carry.

best of luck

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #12

Registry
Thanks Deryk-- will do. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's an old saying that anything is possible if you throw enough money at it! Now, I don't have a clue what it would cost to have a stove top fired in porcelain, but if it interests you... contact these folks, they do quite a bit of work for vintage trailer owners: MATTERA STOVE WORKS.COM

Click on the "Our Services" tab and about halfway down the page you'll see their porcelain service and colors.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
In my opinion, long term success will depend on the subsurface..if it's painted or enameled, I think that with proper preparation paint will adhere.

But if it was originally "chrome-brushed" as in my Trillium stovetop's case...I've tried everything suggested above and couldn't find anything that lasted longer than a season.
I even tried "baking" (hot oven) both the bbq and the header paint. Nothing lasted!

If yours is painted rather than plated like mine, though, and still well-adhering, a good sanding prior to painting should make a surface that will readily accept and bond with the new paint..

Do be careful when sanding NOT to completely remove the original paint- it's a good strong surface for the new paint to adhere to.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #15

Kansas
Any plating needs to be sanded or blasted prior to painting.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
You might also want to try a local appliance place that repairs house stoves. They could tell you what kind of paint that they use to touch up used appliances to make them look good for resale.
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #17

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I even tried "baking" (hot oven) both the bbq and the header paint. Nothing lasted!
Francesca
An oven isn't close to hot enough.

Curing: VHT FlameProof coatings will air dry in 15 to 30 minutes and if handled with reasonable care, may be put to immediate use. Heat curing method for maximum resistance to solvents, salt spray, humidity, thermal shock and heat:
15 minutes at 250°F
30 minutes at 600°F
1 hour at 800°F
30 minutes at 1,000°F

Tags
paint