can you ad this? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello and glad to be here, here goes.

Does the measurement of a 13' trailer include the hitch length? (one seller said yes, that her 16' included the 3' hitch length) If this is true then the 13' would actually be about 10 feet of living space!!!

How have the standard equipment and options changed in the last 10 years?

Is the electrical system pre-wired and THEN the customers choice of options added at the factory?

Has anyone ever added a heater with thermostat and an air conditioner and just hooked into the existing wiring?

Is the Scamp pre-plumbed at the factory and then the customers options hooked up?....can you ad a holding tank or change out an existing one without pulling the floor out?

Has anyone added a gray water option to run it out on the ground rather than fill the tank?

Has anyone ever installed additional cabinet drawers and doors???

Has anyone ever added on overhead side cabinets on a 13'? ( I found a picture of a 13' delux with both upper and lower wood cabinets and its awesome!!!)

Is it possible to "glue" wood veneer to the fiberglass cabinet facing? (how else could they install "wood " cabinets since the fiberglass cabinets are molded and part of the structure).

Thanks in advance for your expertise! hjan

Old 02-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro
Hello hjan. I can answer a couple of your questions right now and someone will jump in an get the rest. The 13' measurement of a fg trailer does include the hitch. My 13' Love Bug indeed has a 10' usable length. Dumping the grey water directly onto the ground is not allowed (maybe illegal) in most places. Many of our campers come with heaters or furnaces with wall mounted thermostats. Some use catalytic heaters. Someone else will have to answer about A/C units and electrical wiring. My Love Bug has one outlet on the converter, that's all.

Welcome to fgrv.
Bob Cupp

Old 02-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Does the measurement of a 13' trailer include the hitch length?
Yes, all travel trailers in North America are specified including the tongue length; it's coupler-to-bumper, including for our moulded fiberglass units.

And yes, as Bob said the body length for a typical 13 foot trailer is about 10 feet.
Quote:
This will vary by manufacturer. In all types of RVs, standard equipment is increasing and more options become available. Small travel trailers tend to be basic compared to large RVs, but now even the smallest can usually be equipped up to the level of having a bathroom with hot and cold electrically pumped water, furnace, and air conditioner, as well as the expected kitchen with refrigerator, stove, and sink. Small trailers usually don't have regular ovens, but mine does (17 foot) and many have microwave ovens.
Quote:
Is the electrical system pre-wired and THEN the customers choice of options added at the factory?
There's not much wiring for most options, and all of these trailers are somewhat custom-built, so I don't think there's a clear answer. I think anyone considering adding a feature later (to any brand of these trailers) should ask the factory about preparing for it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #4

Alberta
Quote:
Has anyone ever added a heater with thermostat and an air conditioner and just hooked into the existing wiring?
What kind of heater? Yes, some people in this forum have wired the propane furnace and air conditioner to the same thermostat, in various brands of trailers, and either of the heater or A/C could have been original or added later. Electric heaters (other than the "heat strips" built into some air conditioner) are rarely built-in.
Quote:
Is the Scamp pre-plumbed at the factory and then the customers options hooked up?....
Although it may not be apparent from their web site, Scamp staff are very helpful over the phone. For any Scamp-specific questions, I suggest calling them.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #5

Alberta
Quote:
....can you ad a holding tank or change out an existing one without pulling the floor out?
I think the Scamp floor is the same fiberglass piece as the rest of the lower body... it isn't really removable. In most of our trailers, if something is under the floor, it gets there from below.
Quote:
Has anyone added a gray water option to run it out on the ground rather than fill the tank?
I agree with Bob that this is generally not allowed. It is the old way of doing things; the current way is to have either a greywater tank, or fitting through the wall of the trailer to which you attach a hose leading either the campsite sewer inlet or to a portable tank sitting on the ground beside the trailer.
Quote:
Has anyone ever installed additional cabinet drawers and doors???...
Has anyone ever added on overhead side cabinets on a 13'?
Some members of this forum (not me) have done radical and impressive things with the interiors. Almost anything can be added if there is space.

Watch for headroom: before the modification to the Scamp 13' design in the building of the new mould last year, there was less headroom than in 16'. Similarly, Casita has height differences between the models. A cabinet which is too large could interfere with people getting in and out of the dinette seats.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here goes (hard to read, but there it is!):

Does the measurement of a 13' trailer include the hitch length? (one seller said yes, that her 16' included the 3' hitch length) If this is true then the 13' would actually be about 10 feet of living space!!!

Ans: Travel trailers always include the entire frame, both the front AND the bumper in the total length -- Scamp follows that convention.

Ans:

Scamp can likely answer specific model year questions of a specific nature if you have a used one you are checking on.

One primary difference is that Scamp (and others) have gracdually increase the weight capacity of the axles (in the 13', for instance, early '80s models had 1,200#, current models have 2,200#). We surmise this is because the trailers are actually heavier than previously advertised and customers are putting in more as-built and after-market options. (Torsion axles are "rubbered" at the factory in 100# increments and can't be changed).

Current Scamp 13's have a "trailing" wheel arrangement; older Scamps have a "leading" arrangement which the axle manfs no longer recommend.

Older 13' had 1 7/8" coupler; all Scamps now have 2".

If you order roof-top a/c, that egg is modified during construction to take the extra load -- I don't know if that's the case with the older models.

The current Scamp 13' has more head-room because there were no new 13's available to make molds after the original molds were destroyed in the factory fire, so the new 13' was made from an employee's new 16' cut short lengthwise.

Also, over the years, converter arrangements have differed, so any given setup may have the converter standing alone, with 12VDC distribution fuse panel outside and merely plugged into a 120VDC outlet fed by a breaker box -- Variations may put the fuse panel as well as the breaker box inside the converter (I think this is now the current standard way to do it, but could be wrong).

Ans: Likely, no -- I can't vouch for post-fire, but pre-fire, Scamp did not wire for stuf that wasn't ordered with the exception of having all the battery leads in place if a converter was ordered (I know that because my 91S13's original owner ordered mine that way and the battery leads and fuse were taped inside the wiring harness).

Additionally, if one doesn't order factory a/c, there's no wiring in place (except maybe space to mount a 120VAC breaker for the a/c) -- There have been at least two a/c mounting options (roof and closet), so which would be wired? Ans: Neither.

There is no wiring in place for a power roof vent, 12VDC outlet, or outside light if not ordered; nor is there a 120VAC outside outlet if not ordered.

There is no wiring in place for an RV LP furnace or a refrigerator if not ordered.

Ans: No, presuming you are asking about an RV LP furnace, the wiring is not in place for the furnace; there should be one or two 120VAC outlets standard, which can be used for an electric heater. There is no LP plumbing in place for something like an Olympian catalytic LP heater.

Is the Scamp pre-plumbed at the factory and then the customers options hooked up?....can you ad a holding tank or change out an existing one without pulling the floor out?

Ans: On older models (my 91S13, for example), it may not be possible to add any standard Scamp tanks, but there is room for some tankage under the rear half if you are either a handy person or have a lot of credit with a local RV shop. Folks have even added a shower inside with a pan dropped thru the floor. Gray and black tanks are underneath and can be accessed/repaired/replaced from outside, altho the plumbing might present problems. The only times I have heard of removing floors on Scamps, Bolers, etc., is when the orig floor became badly water damaged (which is something to check carefully on a used model; damaging water in the vast majority of cases comes from ABOVE (leaking appliances or leaking windows, etc.). The white water tank is usually inside, under the curb-side rear bunk, which must be removed to replace the tank if needed).

Ans: Actually, that's the way it comes if there's no gray tank; the sink drain goes to the outside, which most parks and CGs are starting to frown on as social mores change -- I have a short section of garden hose on mine, which leads into a plastic jug which goes on the ground and is carried in front next to my battery and LP when traveling. Some folks, even with gray tanks, use a "Blue Boy" to catch gray water so they don't have to take their egg to the dump point so often.

Ans: You can make your own or order new front/back ones from Scamp (the problem there is shipping).

Has anyone ever added on overhead side cabinets on a 13'? ( I found a picture of a 13' delux with both upper and lower wood cabinets and its awesome!!!) Is it possible to "glue" wood veneer to the fiberglass cabinet facing? (how else could they install "wood " cabinets since the fiberglass cabinets are molded and part of the structure).

Ans: The Deluxe versions of the Scamp are indeed wood(choice of birch or oak), not fiberglass (on Scamp, Boler, Casita, etc.) the FG cabinets are fastened to the outer FG skin with rivets and the wooden Scamp Deluxe cabinets are fastened with wood screws (Burro, UHaul and maybe some of the other manfs like Bigfoot, Escape, etc., use an interior shell with the cabinetry molded in -- Pros and Cons to this, because the fastened cabinets, benches, etc., are far more flexible if you want to change stuf around -- Some folks freak at the thought of putting more holes in the outer shell, but one of the beauties of FG is that you can rivet most anything inside or out and then cover the holes if you don't like it [hard to match gelcoat coloring, but nothing's perfect]).

I'm sure you could do all kinds of stickon stuf, but stickons are very hard to do on curved surfaces and still look good...
Old 02-04-2007, 10:06 PM   #7

Quote:
I think the Scamp floor is the same fiberglass piece as the rest of the lower body... it isn't really removable. In most of our trailers, if something is under the floor, it gets there from below.
I agree with Bob that this is generally not allowed. It is the old way of doing things; the current way is to have either a greywater tank, or fitting through the wall of the trailer to which you attach a hose leading either the campsite sewer inlet or to a portable tank sitting on the ground beside the trailer.
Some members of this forum (not me) have done radical and impressive things with the interiors. Almost anything can be added if there is space.

Watch for headroom: before the modification to the Scamp 13' design in the building of the new mould last year, there was less headroom than in 16'. Similarly, Casita has height differences between the models. A cabinet which is too large could interfere with people getting in and out of the dinette seats.
Thanks for the warning about head room....I just saw a picture of a 2001 13' scamp with an 8' awning (rolled up). The exterior length of the egg looked to be less than a foot longer than the awning! Is there THAT MUCH difference in the body structure between a 2001 and a 2007? This makes me wonder about ALL the interior measurements and SERIOUSLY question the accuracy of those not to scale factory sketches of the interior, pictured on the web site.

I really need to physically see and sit in a few trailers in this weight class before proceeding .
Old 02-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #8

Alberta
Not-to-scale floorplans are an unfortunate fact of life in the RV world... even some of the ones which look like they are to scale are not reliable. I think the only problem with the measurements is that the "egg" trailers are not rectangular boxes, so a measurement such as a ceiling height varies depending on where you measure it. Similarly, bed sizes tend to show the length at the longest part, and width at the widest part, but the corners of the bed usually follow the corners of the trailers.

As for the height increase in the new Scamp 13'... I only have the reports from Scamp to go on, but if the new height matches the 16', then an existing 16' model would provide a useful indication.

I agree that you need to look in person to really know what will work... in any type of RV. Fortunately, all of the manufacturers of this type of trailer will help find a current owner in your area to show you their trailers, and members of FiberglassRV often offer via the forum to show theirs.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:54 AM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:

Has anyone ever added on overhead side cabinets on a 13'? ( I found a picture of a 13' delux with both upper and lower wood cabinets and its awesome!!!)
There are quite a few people who consider their eggs to be a canvas they can work with and customize to fit their needs. We, ourselves, plan to re-work the loft area of our Scamp 5th wheel to remove the gaucho and replace it with drawers, a dog bed area, small closet, and change the direction of the loft bed so it runs front-to-back instead of side-to-side. If you're handy working with with wood or wood and fiberglass the only limits are the sides of the trailer and what your imagination can provide.

Quote:
Is it possible to "glue" wood veneer to the fiberglass cabinet facing? (how else could they install "wood " cabinets since the fiberglass cabinets are molded and part of the structure).
The fiberglass cabinets are not part of the trailer shell. They're separate structures that are actually pop-riveted into place. The wood-look cabinets you've seen really are conventional wood cabinets scaled to fit into a fiberglass camper.

It's certainly possible to laminate a fiberglass cabinet, but I can't see I'd do it and have it come out looking nice. If you don't like the white fiberglass look your best bet is to primer and paint to a color of your liking and make your own wood doors.

--Peter
Old 02-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #10

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I really need to physically see and sit in a few trailers in this weight class before proceeding .
Don't know exactly where you're located in Oregon....it's a pretty big state. But if you haven't found a trailer by the end of April, I'd encourage you to come to the Northern Oregon Gathering the last weekend in April. If nothing else, just come for the day. Click this link: Northern Oregon Gathering, you'll find a list of folks and their trailers in that first post. For a relatively small gathering of fiberglass, we probably have one of the widest varieties of molded lightweight trailers comin' That would give you a good idea of what's out there!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #11

Thanks Pete. Wow, that's allot of knowledge to absorb. I really appreciate all your time and effort. I hope others benefited from it as well. Thank you, hjan
Old 02-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Don't know exactly where you're located in Oregon....it's a pretty big state. But if you haven't found a trailer by the end of April, I'd encourage you to come to the Northern Oregon Gathering the last weekend in April. If nothing else, just come for the day. Click this link: Northern Oregon Gathering, you'll find a list of folks and their trailers in that first post. For a relatively small gathering of fiberglass, we probably have one of the widest varieties of molded lightweight trailers comin' That would give you a good idea of what's out there!
Excellent idea!!! The nice man at the local RV repair place kindly let me (and my tape measure) inside a Casita. Sadly I'm too tall to sleep comfortably in a 13' (I'm 5'9" and refuse to give up my pillow). A larger unit will require purchasing a new tow vehicle.

The Lebanon area function is not open to those with other types of Fiberglass RVs is it? (Like a fiberglass Class C!!!) From the sign up list it appears to be a 'clutch of eggs' (If I've used clutch incorrectly I humbly stand corrected....with egg on my face )
Old 02-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #13

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The NOG is a gathering for fiberglass trailers, but we'll take anyone who's interested! Last year, we had a couple who came in a sticky 5th wheel just to check out everything. Now, they're proud owners of a Scamp 5th wheel. And yes, it's really the best way to determine what size/brand of trailer would work best for you!

Y'all come!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Hjan,

I am 5 '11'' and spend at least 60 nights a year in our 13 Scamp. the bed runs side ways.
With a wife and an 80 LB yellow lab.

The 16 Scamp or Casita may be a little wider but not by much. Some of the Casitas have a front to back bed arrangement that is truly huge.

Before you decide the bed is not big enough, you might try laying on one if you can. Got a pal of mine who is 6'2" and he sleeps just fine. Standing up, he has to stoop in my trailer.

Gary