Can you recommend an RV shop in Calgary to rewire my trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
The wiring in my Trillium is driving me Bananas!
The tail lights have been acting up (work as running lights, sometimes as brake/signals)
The first three running lights (in order from where the wire comes in form the trailer) work while the last one doesn't
ETC.

Anyway after 2 days of monkeying with a voltmeter and pulling all my hair out I'm ready to hand it over to a Professional. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy RV repair shop in the Calgary area?

Cheers

Tim
Tim Bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the biggest issue you are probably having is grounding , followed by dirty contacts.

under the front seat where the wiring enters the trailer is where to start for ground issues.
that's where i found the ground wires all twisted together and badly corroded.
Cleaned them up, and moved on.
then I took some scotchbrite and with the battery out, and the trailer not connected to the van, I cleaned all of the light sockets on the entire trailer.When i replaced the bulbs I gave each a little coat of di-electric grease to prevent further corrosion.
I re-crimped most of the individual connections at the lights, and my headaches went away.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
Bummer Tim - I haven't had to have anyone work on my trailer, but I have been by these guys shop to pick up some parts, and they are real straight shooter types (located on the north side of Airdrie). Not a big fancy place with 60' tour buses around, so may be a bit easier on the wallet.

http://www.lonepine-rv.com/repairs.html
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
The tail lights have been acting up (work as running lights, sometimes as brake/signals)
The first three running lights (in order from where the wire comes in form the trailer) work while the last one doesn't
ETC.

Anyway after 2 days of monkeying with a voltmeter and pulling all my hair out I'm ready to hand it over to a Professional. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy RV repair shop in the Calgary area?

Cheers

Tim
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-Install-l...t-TL-29bk.aspx

http://www.etrailer.com/tvc-105-Trailer-Lights.html
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
ETC.

Cheers

Tim
Why don't you find a retired mechanic, electrician or handyman.
Trailer wiring is unique to trailers. It's much simpler than your auto.
Your going to pay through the nose at an RV shop. If you have an auto mechanic you trust get his advice.
Joe is probably right. Make sure all the connections on the white wire are good.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Call Joe

In Calgary call Joe at Team Trillium. 403-272-3929
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Thanks for the replies, I will give them all a shot before resorting to calling a pro!

Tim
Tim Bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bas View Post
Thanks for the replies, I will give them all a shot before resorting to calling a pro!

Tim
Tim, I must be getting dyslexic in my old age.
I meant to say Trailer wiring is NOT unique to trailers.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote